SkyscraperCity banner

321 - 340 of 1029 Posts

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
that warehouse is going to a bone of contention I can see english heritage and local groups making an issue about it's supposed history.

·
Registered
23,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
I expect most locals probably didn't even notice it or cared enough before this development was announced.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I expect most locals probably didn't even notice it or cared enough before this development was announced.
True, but that doesn't make it any less relevent, I am all for great development in SE1, it has such fantastic potential, however what I am not comfortable with is losing any history or character that is so important to an area like Bermondsey Street. Especially when there are a series of plots in the area that are of no architectual merit that would welcome development.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've just joined this forum. Hello. I have no objection to the 3 houses. Ideally I would have like a park but that was never gonna happen. Kids don't have much space to kick a ball around with Potter's fields now hijacked by adverts but anyway...
I just read your post, Smoggie Si saying that they want to demolish the old warehouse. Just to be clear- that would be the almost triangular one next to Vinagar Yard? I, like you and others here do not want that to happen.
I've never objected to anything before. How do I?

·
Bermondsey Boro
2,300 Posts
If the warehouse is important it could end up like the Light Bar situation.
That's exactly the analogy that I used to the guy from Sellar.

DarJoLe, I don't think your comment about most people in the area not having noticed the warehouse before is true. It was talked about on the local history walks as part of the Bermondsey Street festival and I predict that they will have a really rough ride getting demolition of the warehouse through planning. I'm very keen to see this site developed and I certainly don't have an issue with height per se but this warehouse is the major stumbling block for me.

that warehouse is going to a bone of contention I can see english heritage and local groups making an issue about it's supposed history.
What do you mean by supposed history, it's at least 150 years old, it has history! It is an old vinegar works I believe, very attractive and very typical of such industrial buildings of that age. It is an important part of SE1 history imo.

I just read your post, Smoggie Si saying that they want to demolish the old warehouse. Just to be clear- that would be the almost triangular one next to Vinagar Yard? I, like you and others here do not want that to happen.
I've never objected to anything before. How do I?
That's the one. I would suggest coming along to the next meeting of the Bermondsey Street Area Partnership when Sellar will be presenting again and a co-ordinated local response to the scheme will be given.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I'm feeling a bit conflicted about this one. I like warehouses and I like this warehouse. They are a real part of London's industrial history and identity. BUT, when I weigh the two options up - the scale, architectural ambition and benefit of this development against one warehouse I have to say it's really a no brainer. Demolish the warehouse. Sorry if that offends anyone with an excess of sentimentality about it ...

·
Better To Do Nothing
10,500 Posts
I don't know the site at all, but much like the Lightbar issue, surely the developers could save themselves a lot of hassle - and actually do themselves a big favour - by simply realigning one the buildings and incorporating the warehouse??

I don't quite understand why developers love giving themselves an even tougher challenge than is absolutely necessary

·
Registered
23,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #329
This is the site with the warehouse.

I think the building on the left is going, with the road layout staying as it is.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
I don't know the site at all, but much like the Lightbar issue, surely the developers could save themselves a lot of hassle - and actually do themselves a big favour - by simply realigning one the buildings and incorporating the warehouse??

I don't quite understand why developers love giving themselves an even tougher challenge than is absolutely necessary
I agree, it's as if they want to cause controversy for the sake of it? Yes the buildings might be very good when eventually we see a proper visual, but loosing a building that really does add something to the area's history is not acceptable.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Absolutley, and also Architecture should never be about compromise, it shouldn't have to be a choice between keeping and the old architecture or losing it.
London is a city of contrasts and juxtapositions of Architecture, Culture, People and lifestyle, there is more than enough room in the City for all Architectual styles and movements.
I actually believe Sellar realise the issue with the Warehouse and believe that information will be feed back to the design, they seem very keen not to cause any problems with the locals that may disrupt the plans.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
It's not like this city lacks warehouses. I think we can take the preservation urge too far. Room needs to be made for projects that will add something to the future of this city. Nothing lasts for ever.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Sorry, but I think the warehouse should go. Well so long as I like the replacement! There are plenty of preserved warehouses in the area. I just don't see the merit of one more being kept at the expense of something potentially so much better. The Victorians bulldozed great swathes of the city, but look what they put back! Constrain and we get mediocrity. If mediocre warehouse next to mediocre glass block is your dream then vote to keep it.

For my money I expect the developer may be pitching to demolish just so they can offer up saving it as a concession later. This is the least of their worries though, height under BJ being so much more of a problem I suspect.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
This is before asking if there is anyone left who, in a global downturn, can afford one of the apartments, which will boast views of the English Channel
!? Is that meant to say that? Getting 80km of visibility is asking a lot of the atmosphere.

·
Banned
730 Posts
Is this project actually 3 separate towers, or 1 interconnecting tower?

·
....ENGAGE
1,114 Posts
Damn, I would normally be there but am currently in Bolivia rather than Bermondsey!
don't worry, I checked the agenda for the meeting yesterday and there was no mentioning of the 3 Spires, so I guess the big presentation gonna be on another meeting

321 - 340 of 1029 Posts