Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
12,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was perusing the bookshelves the other day and breezed through Lost Atlanta by Michael Rose, which had a few more great buildings and homes that used to grace Atlanta of which I'd never heard. Since I was thinking we might be needing to update the never was thread for Atlanta I thought it would be nice to archive a few of the never again treasures. I'm especially sentimental for the ones that fall in line with the classic skyscraper look and traditional early 1900's American urban design styles that are so instinctively linked with NY, Chicago and Philly and evoke a (oft deserved) romanticized version of city culture. I imagine Atlanta would have a different form today if more of these types of structures were still around, and I wonder what other southeastern cities have lost to "progress."

I'll start with the low hanging fruit from the Atlanta History Center.

The old Equitable Building

The Piedmont Hotel

The Kimball House

The US Customs House

The Henry Grady Hotel, from Wikipedia

The Hotel Ansley, from atlurbanist

I can't help but wonder how different downtown Atlanta might be if most/all of these classics had survived and found new life.

Any others from throughout the southeast fit the same bill?

·
Registered
168 Posts
My soul hurts when I look at buildings that were demolished in Oklahoma City during urban renewal. Here are some of the taller ones that no longer exist.

Source: http://www.okhistory.org/research/hmresults.php?mobi

Herskowitz Building

Hales Building

Commerce Exchange Building

Biltmore Hotel

Midwest Theatre

Campbell Building

The YWCA

American National Building

Insurance Building

Hotel Kingkade

·
12,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yow! Oklahoma City has indeed lost a lot. I like the Insurance Building and the Hales Building. Any idea what the exterior materials and colors were for those? Were the bulk of those simply lost to neglect and absent demand?

One of the issues facing Atlanta has been a notable lack of interest in preservation, particularly coming out of the Civil Rights era. The push for economic progress in those days was far more critical than any idea of urbanity or preserving classic structures, sadly.

·
Registered
168 Posts

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
very depressing. i didn't know about the Biltmore Hotel in OKC, that would've been awesome to see and if it had been kept.

those old Atlanta buildings are gorgeous.

i found out last week there was a small 7 story tower, City National Bank/Dixie Life Building, in Sumter SC that was lost in 1970; i'm still trying to find information on it before it ended up as a vacant lot for 30 years, but is now a nice little park with a water fountain.

-

·
12,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Love that image of the Hotel Seminole. A real beautiful structure, it would appear.

Side note: Is the Sea Turtle Inn still near the shore in Jax? Used to stay there as a family when my dad had to travel for work that way.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Love that image of the Hotel Seminole. A real beautiful structure, it would appear.

Side note: Is the Sea Turtle Inn still near the shore in Jax? Used to stay there as a family when my dad had to travel for work that way.
Yes, it's still there. It's called One Ocean now: https://www.oneoceanresort.com/

·
12,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow! A slightly different calibre of venue than when I was there as a kid. Back then the concept of luxury was a very industrial grade outdoor pool and having a Galaga machine in the "arcade." Still, I may have to stay there once for nostalgia's sake and see if i can dig out pictures from my childhood to share with the kiddos.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts