SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The New South: One of the main focus points on this phrase is the revival of City Centers, Downtowns, etc. People are quickly moving into new highrise developments...but what about Virginia's Cities? It is estimated that by 2015, the population of Roanoke will have dwindled down to 85,000 residents, from a peak of nearly 108,000 people. The same goes for Lynchburg, Richmond, and a few other large VA Cities. So, what is the major difference between Virginia, and other Southern States? People in Virginia are flocking into rural areas, while Virginias Southern Comrades are flocking to the City Centers, downtowns, etc....Any thoughts on this matter?

(Numerical information recieved from the Roanoke Times)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Norfolk is increasing in population and downtown has tons of residential development happening. As for the other cities you mentioned I really can't tell you what the problem is.

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that's why I did not include them.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
The suburbs are growing plain and simple. Prince William County and Loudoun in the DC are are among the fastest growing in the country. And VA is growing well above the avg. People are just moving out of the cities.

Areas like Fairfax, Arlington, and Alexandria are working to become more urban though in certain areas.

Richmond will be fine eventually IMO. Norfolk and the HR area I'm also not worried about. Charlottesville is real nice too. Areas like Danville, Bristol, Danville, don't really know what to say, they've lost their industry and they're in the middle of nowhere, wish their gov't could do something or the other powers that be. I think VA is doing well, once we have the cities growing more, we'll be doing even better. And Blacksburg-Christiansburg is growing too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Newport News (part of hampton roads)is working on their financial district....I think in a year or 2 this place will be worth going to instead of leaving..which i feel like doing now...heres a look....it may not be much but hey..its better than nothing!...

·
Registered
6 Posts
The suburbs are growing plain and simple. Prince William County and Loudoun in the DC are are among the fastest growing in the country. And VA is growing well above the avg. People are just moving out of the cities.

Areas like Fairfax, Arlington, and Alexandria are working to become more urban though in certain areas.

Richmond will be fine eventually IMO. Norfolk and the HR area I'm also not worried about. Charlottesville is real nice too. Areas like Danville, Bristol, Danville, don't really know what to say, they've lost their industry and they're in the middle of nowhere, wish their gov't could do something or the other powers that be. I think VA is doing well, once we have the cities growing more, we'll be doing even better. And Blacksburg-Christiansburg is growing too.
The New South: One of the main focus points on this phrase is the revival of City Centers, Downtowns, etc. People are quickly moving into new highrise developments...but what about Virginia's Cities? It is estimated that by 2015, the population of Roanoke will have dwindled down to 85,000 residents, from a peak of nearly 108,000 people. Packing and moving companies near me price from company G&J Moving.

The same goes for Lynchburg, Richmond, and a few other large VA Cities. So, what is the major difference between Virginia, and other Southern States? People in Virginia are flocking into rural areas, while Virginias Southern Comrades are flocking to the City Centers, downtowns, etc....Any thoughts on this matter?

I liked Alexandria. Nice town.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts