Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered Abuser
17,047 Posts
You hear that....some buildings are missing!

Screw best skyline in europe....we're taking on the world ;)....and with the city of London skyscrapers!

Could have two major clusters in the city by 2010...one which rivals Paris' (Canary Wharf)....and one which Rivals Frankfurts (City of London)

How many of them will be done by 2008 then?

·
Registered
24,335 Posts
eddyk said:
How many of them will be done by 2008 then?
Columbus, Millharbour, possibly London Arena. Maybe Wood Wharf.

Riverside South might be under construction, North Quay won't start this side of the decade's end.

·
Registered
302 Posts
uk2012 said:

Copyright Holder - James Newman / Matt Bowker
Some good "Photoshopping" there!

I kinda like the contrast of the somewhat bleak housing in the foreground and the billion dollar metropolis in the back. Hardly the view of La Defence (which is, quite frankly dull from a distance) from the Eiffel Tower which interestingly is the opposite of the above...

·
Registered
24,335 Posts
I just hope, further into the future, that we see some of what is happening south of Canary Wharf over in the north.

Fair enough it can't be tall because of flight paths, but a few slim towers of London Arena and Millharbour height over in poplar will balance out the cluster much nicer than leaving a vast blank wall of Columbus and North Quay.

We'll never see anything taller than Columbus or 1CS, but in a sense a few snazzy residentials which build up towards them could prevent Docklands becoming a wall of similar height dull towers.

·
Registered
24,335 Posts
Britannia said:
That's very unlikely!
Why? We're seeing the beginnings of the Limehouse regeneration now spilling over to the north side of the DLR, why wouldn't this carry on into Poplar?

·
Registered
13,914 Posts
uk2012 said:
I didnt think Paris had many highrises?
Paris has a big skyscraper district, much like Canary Wharf except much larger.
Its not commonly known amongst non-skyscraper fans because Paris tends to be far more associated with landmarks such as the Eiffel Tower.
La Defense is very impressive with some world class skyscrapers (not that I would admit it on the world forum contests ;) ) but it is beginning to age and the ground level setting away from the Grande Arche is rather bleak.
Its also worth noting the current growth of La Defense is nothing compared to Canary Wharf.

·
Against ID Cards
9,799 Posts
Yeh it's a great image which I've seen many times before. Wonderful, but I'd really like some taller towers near the centre of the cluster to lift the skyline. It seems a bit flat too me.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The skyscrapers in La Defense are nothing special, but viewed from the Eifel tower you can see the cluter in the background of all the grandeur of paris and it looks mighty imrpessive.

Anyways, that CW rendering is great, and I can't wait till the day when London has a skyline that can compete with the best in the world. I think the fact that one skyline is in amongst the historic centre is a great bonus as it puts real pressure on developers to produce high quality towers that will relate to their enviroment. I think if Paris's skyscrapers were built more towards the centre of the city, they would have individually been much much better, not that I'm suggesting they should build scrapers in central Paris.

·
Registered
225 Posts
North of the DLR at Poplar is uniformly low-rise, unlike the other areas at Limehouse and on the IoD. I can see some tall buildings at places like East India Dock Road, but directly north of Poplar station I just don't think there will be the appetite for large scale intensification... I don't think the Council would be too keen and local residents certainly wouldn't. I just don't think it has the makings of an extension to the cluster.

·
Registered
24,335 Posts
Britannia said:
I just don't think it has the makings of an extension to the cluster.
Well I didn't mean another Canary Wharf or anything, just a few tall residentials to bulk up the sheer drop we'll get from North Quay to Poplar.

The area is very slummy considering how much of a mint developers have made from the south of the Estate, and I'll bet in five years they'll be developers queuing up to offer multimillion pound views literally a stone's throw from The Wharf.

·
Registered
13,914 Posts
Skopie said:
The skyscrapers in La Defense are nothing special
They're not bad. Yeah, some of them are horrible 60's eyesores but a lot are beautiful curving towers like Tour EDF and innovative ones like La Grande Arche. It certainly has more variety than CW.
Hopefully, that will all change when Columbus is built :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts