Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
#mindtheliverpool
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guess we all here agree with this thinking: thank you for bringing these splendid photographs, I enjoy very much these different stones on the walls of historic landmarks, as enjoyed this huge atrium in the building of modern Manchester :)
thank you Eduard! visited once the Quays 5-6 years ago and now was really surprised how beautiful this waterfront is. here is a great place for a full day out. museums, shops, waterfront, theatre and lots of places to eat/drink, lots of quirky and interesting architecture, with plenty of photo opportunities.

=============================

·
#mindtheliverpool
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OMG, so many new pics since I was here last time! ;)
But it was worth to see them, Leon! :eek:kay:
Some very interesting art also, for instance "Man Walking" by (I had to look
up his first names ;)) Lawrence Stephen Lowry.
The name Lowry first reminded me of Malcolm Lowry, the writer, and one of
my all time favourite books - "Under The Volcano":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Volcano
Filmed excellently by John Huston with Albert Finney and Jacqueline Bisset.
Beautiful new sets, Leon!
Manchester looks great.
Silvia, Robert! thanks a lot, much appreciated!

Very interesting tour, Leon! An incredible transformation of former docklands. But I wonder what Lowry would have thought about Salford Quays?
nothing. I presume he would draw streets and people ;)
thank you Nicholas :cheers1:

===========================================

·
#mindtheliverpool
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
#mindtheliverpool
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very interesting set, Leon. I like the wartime notice to women customers to avoid excessive drinking!
The collection of 1930s and 1940s items in the Imperial War Museum is fabulous, I would visit it many times: thanks for sharing with us :eek:kay:
Phantastic report from the museum, Leon! :applause:
All those exhibits have one message: "Never again!"
thank you very much Nicholas, Eduard, Silvia!

IWM North was the first building in the UK designed by the internationally acclaimed architect, Daniel Libeskind, who designed the Jewish Museum in Berlin and was recently behind the masterplan for the Ground Zero site in New York. Daniel Libeskind was born in Poland, the second child of Polish Jewish parents who had survived the Holocaust. His insistence that the architecture of a museum should give richer meaning to its subject matter was just what we wanted.
Libeskind wanted the building to be a symbol of the effects of war, so he came up with the concept of a globe shattered into three pieces – and though it's been put back together, it will never be the same again. That's why IWM North is made up of the EarthShard, WaterShard and the AirShard – a piece of the building to represent conflict on land, sea and in the air.

image: © Daniel Libeskind

======================================================

·
#mindtheliverpool
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Excellent pics of architecture, Leon! :applause:
Thank you for informing about the work of Daniel Libeskind!
thank you Silvia!
the architecture of IWM looks nice, but the interior of the museum is incredibly dark and the museum's exhibitions look very poor. maybe I was spoilt with the London Museum but I did expect more.

========================================

·
#mindtheliverpool
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Skopje/Скопје;149758891 said:
^^
I just love the red brick architecture! Great set! :eek:kay:
Interesting tour of that regenerated dockland. Nice to see all those waterfowl, but those Canada geese certainly leave a mess, don't they!
Great update, Leon!
Very interesting photos of the War Museum.
Those Manchester channels give a very beautiful touch to the city.
Dim light can be a stylistic device in a museum, but too dark is no good.
At dark days some parts in our KHM also are a bit too dark - not easy for
photographers...
Great updates, Leon - here are two of many favourites! :eek:kay:
Indeed great, very nice updates, Leon :cheers:
George, Nicholas, Robert, Silvia, Christos! thanks a lot! also thank you all for viewing!

=============================

The former Lower Campfield Market, which opened in 1882 to house an open-air market, is now home to some of the gems from the transport collection. https://www.msimanchester.org.uk/whats-on/air-and-space-hall

1 - 20 of 130 Posts