Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be in Atlanta from August 8-11. This will be my first time in Atlanta and I have virtually no familiarity with the city at all. Suggestions on what to see and do would be much appreciated. Since it will be my first time to the ATL, I should probably see some of the touristy attractions. However, I would like to mix it up a bit and visit some off the beaten path, neighborhood-like places.

Okay, let's hear your suggestions! :)

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I will be in Atlanta from August 8-11. This will be my first time in Atlanta and I have virtually no familiarity with the city at all. Suggestions on what to see and do would be much appreciated. Since it will be my first time to the ATL, I should probably see some of the touristy attractions. However, I would like to mix it up a bit and visit some off the beaten path, neighborhood-like places.

Okay, let's hear your suggestions! :)
Cabbagetown

·
Registered
158 Posts
First of all, what part of town will you be staying in?

Some don't-miss neighborhoods: Virginia-Highland, Inman Park/Little Five Points, Downtown Decatur, the aforementioned Cabbagetown, Midtown/Piedmont Park.

Let me know some specifics, and I can offer more pointed suggestions re: dining & nightlife.

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ I'm staying in Buckhead.

Do Virginia-Highland, Inman Park, and Cabbagetown offer anything more than lovely streetcar-era homes? Are there any places to eat and shop? I know there's a nice little retail strip along Euclid in Little Five Points, but is it really worth visiting? What's there to see in Decatur?

So far on my list:

1) Centennial Olympic Park
2) World of Coca-Cola (Is it really worth the $15 admission price?)
3) Georgia Aquarium (I know it's one of the world's best, but it's expensive. Is it worth it?)
4) CNN Center (Again, worth the cost?)
5) Underground Atlanta
6) Downtown (walking)
7) Piedmont Park
8) The Varsity
9) Midtown (walking)
10) Martin Luther King, Jr., National Historic Site
11) Buckhead (where I'm staying)
12) Emory University (visiting family)

·
Registered
158 Posts
^ I'm staying in Buckhead.

Do Virginia-Highland, Inman Park, and Cabbagetown offer anything more than lovely streetcar-era homes?Yes, all 3 have little shopping districts. Va-Hi is the largest and most varied by far. Are there any places to eat and shop?Yes, many. I know there's a nice little retail strip along Euclid in Little Five Points, but is it really worth visiting? Yes. Several great bars & restaurants here.What's there to see in Decatur? Great compact & walkable neighborhood, loaded with bars, restaurants and unique shops. Picture a smaller, Southern (but hip) version of Pasadena. There is also a subway station under the Courthouse Square.

So far on my list:

1) Centennial Olympic ParkYes
2) World of Coca-Cola (Is it really worth the $15 admission price?)Meh
3) Georgia Aquarium (I know it's one of the world's best, but it's expensive. Is it worth it?)Yes. Everyone should go once
4) CNN Center (Again, worth the cost?)I think so. Some great people watching too in the atrium
5) Underground AtlantaMeh. If interested from an architecture/history viewpoint, yes. Otherwise, skip it.
6) Downtown (walking)Yes. Make sure you don't miss Fairle-Poplar
7) Piedmont ParkYes
8) The VarsityIn 'n Out is way better. If you go, get an FO (frozen orange). It's like a Dreamsicle milkshake
9) Midtown (walking)Yes. Don't miss Crescent Ave. for bars, dining
10) Martin Luther King, Jr., National Historic SiteYes
11) Buckhead (where I'm staying)Have your hotel give or find you a self-guided driving tour of the Estate district. You will not believe your eyes
12) Emory University (visiting family)Yes. Make sure someone shows you Druid Hills (Driving Miss Daisy neighborhood
Let me know if you can think of anything else!

·
Red Sox Nation!
1,497 Posts
Which is the premier tier 1 city in the south ATL,HOU,MIA,DAL? Having been to all these cities I'd say Atlanta or Miami! any other cities in the running?and if you have the extra time to travel in the ATL metro go to Athens! alittle outta the way but a beautiful city!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Which is the premier tier 1 city in the south ATL,HOU,MIA,DAL? Having been to all these cities I'd say Atlanta or Miami! any other cities in the running?and if you have the extra time to travel in the ATL metro go to Athens! alittle outta the way but a beautiful city!
I say we stay on topic, Your question is better served in another thread.
Because of course, this might get ugly.(I'd say Houston)

·
5,837 Posts
It better not get ugly. Stay on topic...which is helping out Westsidelife better plan his trip. If you don't want to help Westside out don't participate. It is that simple.

·
Registered
213 Posts
One of my favorite places is Oakland Cemetary. It is close to downtown and Grant Park. It doesn't cost anything, but has some great views and neat architecture. When you get done, there are several good restaurants nearby like Six Feet Under, Agave, The Standard, etc.

You may also want to check out The Atlanta History Center.

In my opinion, the aquarium was a let down. It is big, but if you have been to any other aquarium, I don't think you will be that impressed. I have been to ones in New Orleans and Cincinnati and like them just as well.

I think the World of Coke is fun and worth a visit.

You should also include Piedmont Park in your tour of Midtown, which includes one of my favorite things in the city....The Botanical Gardens. You should definitely plan on taking this in while you are here.

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
One of my favorite places is Oakland Cemetary. It is close to downtown and Grant Park. It doesn't cost anything, but has some great views and neat architecture. When you get done, there are several good restaurants nearby like Six Feet Under, Agave, The Standard, etc.

You may also want to check out The Atlanta History Center.

In my opinion, the aquarium was a let down. It is big, but if you have been to any other aquarium, I don't think you will be that impressed. I have been to ones in New Orleans and Cincinnati and like them just as well.

I think the World of Coke is fun and worth a visit.

You should also include Piedmont Park in your tour of Midtown, which includes one of my favorite things in the city....The Botanical Gardens. You should definitely plan on taking this in while you are here.
1. Oakland Cemetery is definitely worth visiting and is also right beside Cabbagetown...there isn't a whole lot to do in Cabbagetown, but there are a few shops and restaurants mixed into the old narrow streets and colorfully restored homes. http://www.oaklandcemetery.com/

2. Also nearby Oakland Cemetery is Grant Park and ZooAtlanta, which has a couple of newly opened exhibits and, of course, the pandas. http://www.zooatlanta.com/home.htm The Cyclorama is also in Grant Park and is well-worth an hour of your time.

3. In walking Downtown I definitely suggest walking through the Fairlie-Poplar District (bound by Peachtree, Marietta, Luckie, and Cone Streets)...the 19th Century commercial center of Atlanta that has turned retail/residential.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairlie-Poplar
http://www.artery.org/FairliePoplar.htm

4. CNN Center is worth a stop-in, but I wouldn't recommend the guided tour unless you are very interested in seeing the workings of a news network. The building is kinda cool just to walk in and look around - right off of Centennial Park, which is a must-see. There are several monuments with listings of medal winners and such that are worth seeing, especially if you are a sports fan...and the park itself is beautiful. There are lovely, smaller Downtown parks as well, like Hardy Ivy Park, Hurt Park, and Woodruff Park.

Carnegie Monument at Hardy Ivy Park................."Atlanta from the Ashes" at Woodruff Park

http://www.flickr.com/photos/duluoz_cats/2426527204/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/boxercab/1492051446/

5. Some Other Downtown buildings that are worth a stop-in...Marriott Marquis (amazing 50-story atrium), and (I'm not sure about how open they are) the Candler, Hurt, Flatiron, and Macy's buildings - among others.

6. Piedmont Park is (IMO) Atlanta's best. Definitely give it a walk-thru while you're in Midtown...the Botanical Garden is also within Piedmont Park, and Virginia-Highland is around the corner with shops and restaurants galore.

Piedmont Park in winter

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2788645042/

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys, I'm back from Atlanta and had a great time! First off, Atlantans are the friendliest people I have ever met. With the exception of a few airport personnel, literally every person I came across was super friendly and hospitable. You guys really go out of your way to make out-of-towners feel at home. And is it me, or does Atlanta also have some of the best looking people?

Anyways, the city itself was super clean and quite modern. Atlanta must have really capitalized on the boom, because there are some awesome buildings there. The overall ambiance was what I expected -- a city tucked beneath a forest. We don't get that kind of tree coverage here in LA, so it was quite a sight to behold.

I got to do most of the things on that list of mine -- Georgia Aquarium (fantastic), World of Coca-Cola (cool, but not worth it IMO), Centennial Olympic Park, Piedmont Park (amazing place), etc. I didn't even bother with CNN Center because it was either a backstage studio tour or the food court (I didn't want either). I only drove through Midtown (visited Atlantic Station, though) and Virginia-Highland (but ate dinner there). Unfortunately, I didn't get to walk Downtown or eat at The Varsity, but I did have my first Nathan's hot dog from Lenox Square Mall. The only thing I absolutely hated and couldn't stand any longer was the weather (like any other person from SoCal, I'm a snob about weather ;)).

All in all, I enjoyed my first visit to Atlanta. I don't know when's the next time I'll go back, but it'll be a treat when I do.

·
Banned
525 Posts
You mean the wonderful employees of Delta Airlines who work in the airport were not the best you've ever encountered? SHOCKING! not

It's one of the biggest, easiest to navigate airports. It also has the absolute worst employee attitude problems.

I'm glad the rest of your Atlanta trip was enjoyable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I visited Atl for the Paul McCartney concert last weekend. It was my first time visiting the city. I was shocked at how developed midtown was compared to Nashville. Midtown Atl might even be bigger than downtown Nashville.

Also spent 4 hours in IKEA. A must visit.

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Hey guys, I'm back from Atlanta and had a great time! First off, Atlantans are the friendliest people I have ever met. With the exception of a few airport personnel, literally every person I came across was super friendly and hospitable. You guys really go out of your way to make out-of-towners feel at home. And is it me, or does Atlanta also have some of the best looking people?

Anyways, the city itself was super clean and quite modern. Atlanta must have really capitalized on the boom, because there are some awesome buildings there. The overall ambiance was what I expected -- a city tucked beneath a forest. We don't get that kind of tree coverage here in LA, so it was quite a sight to behold.

I got to do most of the things on that list of mine -- Georgia Aquarium (fantastic), World of Coca-Cola (cool, but not worth it IMO), Centennial Olympic Park, Piedmont Park (amazing place), etc. I didn't even bother with CNN Center because it was either a backstage studio tour or the food court (I didn't want either). I only drove through Midtown (visited Atlantic Station, though) and Virginia-Highland (but ate dinner there). Unfortunately, I didn't get to walk Downtown or eat at The Varsity, but I did have my first Nathan's hot dog from Lenox Square Mall. The only thing I absolutely hated and couldn't stand any longer was the weather (like any other person from SoCal, I'm a snob about weather ;)).

All in all, I enjoyed my first visit to Atlanta. I don't know when's the next time I'll go back, but it'll be a treat when I do.
I agree, I first visited Atlanta in 1996 for the Olympics, and it was one of the most friendliest large city I have ever been too. And some fine looking people too :).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts