SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Chicagoans,

I'm coming to your fair city next weekend(end of june). We're a group of eight. Seven Canuckers and an Aussie.
We will be flying out of Detroit direct to Chicago, and our hotel we'll be staying at is The Essex Inn. Air/hotel 225$ a person..........GREAT DEAL!!

Unfortunately we know very little of Chicago and would love some insight on what to do and what to see.
We're planning to catch a show, watch a baseball game, but what are some of the quintessentially Chicago things to do?

·
Registered
179 Posts
If your thinking of baseball you'd probably be better off seeing the Cubs at Wrigley. Much better expierence than the White Sox. The neighborhood around the stadium is known as Wrigleyville and the stadium is filled with quite a few bars as oppossed to the White Sox stadium which is surrounded by parking lots.

As for what else to do I'd suggest getting a bike and riding along the lake, plenty of beaches along the way and great views of the skyline. I'm sure their are plenty of street/neighborhood festivals as well, I know the pride parade is that weekend. Probably lots of others as well.

·
Nonhyphenated-American
3,362 Posts
Isn't the Essex right on Michigan Ave by Grant Park? That's walking distance from pretty much everything in the downtown area.

A baseball game is likely a 'no go' for that weekend (27-29 June) - the Cubs are at the White Sox and all three of those games will likely be sold out, if they aren't already. In a true rarity, BOTH teams are leading their respective divisions as I type this, too. The Cubs are home against the Baltimore Orioles on Tuesday-Thursday (24-26 June), though.

I'd definitely try to check out at least one of the city's World-class museums (Art Institute, Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, Museum of Science and Industry), in addition to all of the usual stuff that SSC is famous for.

Enjoy the USA!

Mike

·
less is more
978 Posts
Take the boat tours when you're in Chicago. Please follow this link below for price comparison. I recommend the combination of Lake & River cruise, which offers visitors the best of both worlds our city has to offer (modern achitecture & spectacular skyline view from the lake). The best time to take the boat tour is around 7:30 PM when Chicago skyline lit up at dusk.

http://chicagotraveler.com/boat_tours.htm

If any of you plan to visit some of the major attractions in Chicago, then you should get the city pass. It helps to save some big bucks.

http://www.citypass.com/city/chicago.html

Millenium Park & the Art institute of Chicago are definitely worth a visit. Follow the links below to obtain schedule of the upcoming events (concerts, tours..etc)

http://www.millenniumpark.org/parkevents/

http://www.americasgreatestcities.com/chicago/resources_themed.php?dest_id=2&cat_id=1

You can check out the Broadway in Chicago shows if interested.

http://www.broadwayinchicago.com/

Also, don't forget to take advantage of free trolley service. It can take you to most major attractions in Chicago. The average wait time is about 15min.

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/webportal/COCWebPortal/COC_EDITORIAL/FreeTrolleyRouteMap_1.pdf

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/webportal/COCWebPortal/COC_EDITORIAL/LincolnParkMap_3.pdf

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
The last weekend/Sunday of June features perhaps the Lakeview neighborhood's 's biggest celebration -- the Chicago Gay Pride Parade along Halsted and Broadway streets. If you plan to go to Wrigley for a baseball game that weekend -- especially on the Sunday of the parade -- be prepared for big crowds. Frankly, I think being in the neighborhood that weekend is a plus. But better take public transport and give yourself sufficient time for the commute from downtown to the North side.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hello Chicagoans,

I'm coming to your fair city next weekend(end of june). We're a group of eight. Seven Canuckers and an Aussie.
We will be flying out of Detroit direct to Chicago, and our hotel we'll be staying at is The Essex Inn. Air/hotel 225$ a person..........GREAT DEAL!!

Unfortunately we know very little of Chicago and would love some insight on what to do and what to see.
We're planning to catch a show, watch a baseball game, but what are some of the quintessentially Chicago things to do?

1. Try "Navy pier" it is a great place sit and drink beer and they also will have bands at the end of the pier on sat. and sun. (I think fridays also)

2. 96th floor of the hancock (signature room) great place to get a good view of the city and to get a drink. Dont go after 7 pm unless you plan on waiting a while for a table.

3. "16" trump for dinner or breakfast. Dinner is expensive there so I would suggest breakfast.

4. take a walk along Rush street, or michigan avenue or along lake michigan to the beaches.

5. Bucktown, or Wickerpark. Bucktown has some good restaurants but you will have to take a cab to get there. (milwaukee & Damen, that is bucktown)

·
Nonhyphenated-American
3,362 Posts
The last weekend/Sunday of June features perhaps the Lakeview neighborhood's 's biggest celebration -- the Chicago Gay Pride Parade along Halsted and Broadway streets. If you plan to go to Wrigley for a baseball game that weekend -- especially on the Sunday of the parade -- be prepared for big crowds. Frankly, I think being in the neighborhood that weekend is a plus. But better take public transport and give yourself sufficient time for the commute from downtown to the North side.
Check your schedule again, there is *NO* baseball at Wrigley - the Cubs play the White Sox at Comiskey (or whatever they call it now) that weekend.

Mike

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Check your schedule again, there is *NO* baseball at Wrigley - the Cubs play the White Sox at Comiskey (or whatever they call it now) that weekend.

Mike
I didn't check. But it makes sense that they won't schedule a game on that weekend at Wrigley -- although I seem to remember that they did during previous years.

But I figured that Wildchild might go anyway just to see the place -- game or no game. In which case, one should know that that weekend is Pride Weekend in Lakeview.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot everyone for the valuable info. We arrive in Chicago June 28, 9am. and we leave on tuesday. We're aware of the Cubs-White Sox series that weekend, we're hoping to greet a ticket scalper, but if not, the White Sox play a home game on Monday against the Cleveland Indians.
Gay Pride Chicago certainly sounds interesting. Not sure how it compares with Toronto or Montreal but I'm sure it caters to a large populace.
Really looking forward to having a great time in CHI-TOWN.

Which is the better observation? Hancock or Sears?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think too many tourists get stuck in the Loop-Near North Side Section. Checking out neighborhoods is a must. I say for sure hit:

Wicker Park/Bucktown: Grab something to eat on Division between Ashland and Western, you will find plenty. Also get off at Damen on the Blue Line to experience the Wicker Park-Bucktown vibe.

Lincoln Park: Obviously see the park. Other areas of interest are Lincoln Ave by DePaul for nightlife. Other areas in Lincoln Park are along Halsted between North Ave and Fullerton for shopping (also Armitage between Sheffield and Halsted).

Lakeview: Wrigleyville obviously. Also the Southport corridor, so I suggest you check out Southport between Belmont Ave to Irving Park.

Hyde Park/Kenwood and Lincoln Square are also nice hoods, but they are pretty far out, so if you have extra time check them out but during the DAY they lack adequate night life, more so Hyde Park.

Other interesting hoods: Logan Square, Roscoe Village, and West Loop, however you might get bored there, but they are nice for strolling or just passing by.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Thanks a lot everyone for the valuable info. We arrive in Chicago June 28, 9am. and we leave on tuesday. We're aware of the Cubs-White Sox series that weekend, we're hoping to greet a ticket scalper, but if not, the White Sox play a home game on Monday against the Cleveland Indians.
Gay Pride Chicago certainly sounds interesting. Not sure how it compares with Toronto or Montreal but I'm sure it caters to a large populace.
Really looking forward to having a great time in CHI-TOWN.

Which is the better observation? Hancock or Sears?
I think the difference with Chicago's Pride Parade compared to the others is that Chicago's still has a (slightly disorganized) neighborhood feel to it. It is not as "organized" or orchestrated as in some of the Coastal cities. It can be very disorganized, in fact, with sometimes relatively long gaps between floats and people spilling from sidewalks to the streets. I think it is part of its charm, if you want to call it that.

Lakeview demographics is no longer as gay at it once was. Still, the Pride Parade in Chicago has always attracted straights as well as gays. Whether you think it appropriate or not, many families with their kids come to the parade (not that this dampens raunchy behavior in some quarters.) And the politicians are there, of course: "Lakeside politics" remains strong.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Can't believe no one has suggested to go up to the top of the Hancock to the bar. I think it's better up there than at the top of the Sears Tower, especially since you don't have to pay to go up to the bar (though obviously a drink will cost money). You can enjoy a drink while you enjoy the view. And since you're in the bar, you can sit back & relax and not be stuck around little kids (they'll be relegated to the official observation deck at Hancock which is actually 2 floors lower than the bar).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts