SkyscraperCity Forum banner
301 - 320 of 358 Posts

· Travelor
31,851 Posts
^^Cool stuff ;)

Quick question, is there really anything to see at Balaton in December?
I'm asking because I will drive to Timisoara for a week after Christmas, I would do it in 2 days, thought maybe of detouring through Maribor (and stay there over night). Of course the best way towards Banat from there is on M70, M7.

35,805 Posts
We found here some obvious minor mistakes, like that the Dohány (Tobacco) Street is in Pest and not in Buda as suggested in the quoted article - i pointed it out and we are now at the etymology of the word Hussar (comes from the word Húsz - Twenty) and is originated from the order of Matthias Corvin who ordered that every 20 households must send a soldier into his famous Black Army.
And I would rather suggest Kazinczy street than Raday...

17,331 Posts
There are at least 5 places around the Balaton, which are alive at winter:

1.) Hévíz Lake - greatest open thermal lake in Europe, water temperature at winter is some 27 C

2.) Keszthely, town, famous Festetich Castle and nice old town

3.) Tihany, peninsula, oldest abbey of Hungary founded in 998, beautiful panorama of the Eastern basin of the lake,

4.) Balatonfüred, popular health resort in the architecture of the reform ages (1820-1848), free mineral water from the Kossuth-spring, good for stomach and heart diseases,

5.) Siófok, capital of Balaton region, nice old villas and platane trees

Unfortunatelly only Siófok is on the south coast - but all five places are worth for a stop. Taking the northern road has another advantage: you may see the beautiful landscape, the Tapolca basin with its picturesque volcano hills - with local wineries selling their products everywhere:

Reactions: cinxxx

35,805 Posts
^^Cool stuff ;)

Quick question, is there really anything to see at Balaton in December?
I'm asking because I will drive to Timisoara for a week after Christmas, I would do it in 2 days, thought maybe of detouring through Maribor (and stay there over night). Of course the best way towards Banat from there is on M70, M7.
If the lake is frozen, than a must see... Just please don't test your skills...

Otherwise you'll end up like these idiots last Febr...

· Travelor
31,851 Posts
I would only advise to not fall for the "trap" of those where you are invited from the street by people claiming discounts. Those discounted prices are almost sure at least the same as in other normal places :)

· Banned
67 Posts
Hello Hungarian Friends! :)
I will be visiting Hungary next month,especially Budapest.I can't wait :)

I need information about some things I hope you can help me.

1.I have some old 200HUF banknotes from 2002 I know that they arent in use anymore.Do you know where I can change them?

2.Do you know some cheap accomodation in Budapest (about 1500HUF-well I'm a student ;) )?

3.Have foreign students also 50% discount in the MAV?And what are the conductors like?Bloodthirsty like in Poland or nice? :D

Thanks in advance.

35,805 Posts
Greatings!

wich is the best way to transfer from Budapest international airport to the city center? and how much it costs?
Take the 200E bus till its terminal station (Kőbánya-Kispest M), change to metro M3 and go where ever you want to go.

You have to buy a single ticket (350 HUF each) every time you change (except if you change from metro-to-metro), so depending on the length of your stay I would also check out the passes (http://www.bkk.hu/en/prices/). You can buy them at the BKK tickett office or directly from the vending machinces - both - at the airport.

301 - 320 of 358 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.