SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
13,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like workmen are already inside the building, stripping it out. Good to see them move so quickly. Thought it should get a new thread in it's honour.

http://vimeo.com/45053917

I don't know how to embed videos, so some other genius will have to do it.

Before

After

·
Registered
223 Posts
Very nice. I've always thought that building would have to come down in the long run, but this is good.

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Agreed, that does look good. I particularly like the addition of retail on the ground floor (even if it is just a Starbucks and a Tesco) as it adds activity and acknowledges the streets around it, in a way the current configuration badly doesn't.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
I think work may be starting on this. Looks like the building next door may be getting redeveloped too.

Also I noticed people in Union House on Victoria Street the other day, perhaps the work on a boutique hotel there may be starting.

·
Registered
13,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are doing up the old Chapel on Crosshall St as part of the same scheme.

re: Union House, I found this...

LIVERPOOL'S UNION HOUSE TO BE TURNED INTO HOTEL
BACK TO NEWS...
Union House in Liverpool looks set to open as a hotel in 2013 after developers were given planning permission for their design.

Work is expected to start on the renovation this autumn, but placenorthwest.co.uk stressed that the 30-room hotel will retain many of the historic building's character features; such as its panelled ceilings and an 'iron balustered staircase'.

Union House, a Grade-II listed building, is located in the Cavern Quarter's Victoria Street and is currently utilised as an office block. The change to hotel use by J&M Hospitality Consultants could mean alterations to its property maintenance responsibilities.

Adam Hall, managing director at architect Falconer Chester Hall, suggested he has high hopes for the building - which was built circa 1882. He said: "Union House is an extremely well known and well situated building in the city, and is deserving of a high quality transformation.

"It adds to our portfolio of successful hotel designs and transformations and we are looking forward to seeing this project through to its conclusion."

Assistant editor at thebusinessdesk.com, Mike Fahy, highlighted how the approved plans also include a bar on the lower ground floor level and a 90-cover restaurant on the floor below that. The building's central location means it is also close to some of Liverpool's most high-profile dining options.

·
Registered
13,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a good scheme, all told. Some new retail on Victoria Street and the redevelopment of most of a street.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Work to start on £27m City Centre residential project

Work has begun on an ambitious £27m project to bring three old buildings in Liverpool city centre back into use.

Trafford-headquartered Russells Construction is undertaking the 120,000 sq ft Vita Student accommodation scheme in Crosshall Street in three phases – The Chapel, Tinlings and Crosshalls.

The contractor has been removing internal structures and preparing for construction to begin this month.

All three buildings – the grade II-listed Chapel, 1878 Crosshalls and 1960s Tinlings – had been vacant for several years prior to Vita Student's acquisition.

A total of 357 student flats will be developed over the next two years.

Vita Student is a property brand founded by Chris Oakes, of Alderley Edge-based luxury residential developer Huntsmere, and Mark Stott, of Wilmslow-based property investment company Select Property.

Andrew Russell, managing director of Russells Construction, said: "Although two of the buildings have architecturally important heritage facades, the internal structure and layout of The Chapel and Crosshalls are no longer fit for purpose.

"A demolition and internal rebuild provides the best solution for protecting their facade and enhancing the street scene, while also making best use of space to create a modern, comfortable interior for residents.

"Tinlings is from a different era but its original design will be echoed in the new glass and aluminium curtain walling, and a two-storey upward extension will provide additional space."

Phase one of the project will see The Chapel ready by September 2013 with Tinlings due to be finished by the end of this year and Crosshalls completed in September 2014.

http://www.liverpoolvision.co.uk/News/work_to_start_on_27m_city_centre_residential_project.aspx

·
Registered
995 Posts
The 1963 picture. No trees and it was already a car park. Was there never anything there or was it bombed or something? It would be great if they turn that into a park in the next couple of years. In London there's loads of little bits like soho square and there's a good vibe when the weather is nice. The old cars look good though.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
The 1963 picture. No trees and it was already a car park. Was there never anything there or was it bombed or something? It would be great if they turn that into a park in the next couple of years. In London there's loads of little bits like soho square and there's a good vibe when the weather is nice. The old cars look good though.
There was a government building there that was lost in WW2 possibly in the May Blitz.

I have seen a rare picture of it somewhere online but cant trace it at the moment.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Cheers Scarecrow... What a nice building we lost there :(

I'd love something big bold and modern on the Victoria Street Car Park. Victoria street needs tons more investment.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts