Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VOTE: Best Religious Building

Here are the five buildings which received the most nominations this week.

Vote for your favourite.

St. Peters Cathedral, Vatican City

Notre Dame, Paris

Hagia Sofia, Istanbul

Cologne Dom

St Basil's Cathedral, Moscow

·
Against ID Cards
9,799 Posts
Notre Dame, Paris and St Basil's Cathedral, Moscow are my favourites from here and I would have them tied but if I had to choose, St Basils.

·
Architect
1,945 Posts
Notre Dame from this list.

However, I think that the Blue Mosque got much more nominations than Hagia Sofia did. :tongue:
I would have voted it otherwise.

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was very close actually - Blue Mosque was just outside the Top 5, and so was St Paul's Cathedral (London).

·
XYZ
313 Posts
Hagia Sophia

·
Registered
333 Posts
St. Peters, by far, in my mind.
But St. Peter's is not a cathedral. The cathedral of Rome is St. John's of Lateran.
A cathedral, by definition, is the seat of the bishop of the city, and that is St John's in Rome.

St Peter's is a basilica, though it is the grandest church in Rome. In the Western World and in Catholicism, Popes generally made sure that there was no grander church building than St. Peter's.

·
Banned
2,634 Posts
Most impressive for me is definitely Cologne Dom.
Btw. We also have a very interesting Church. As I know Mariacki is the biggest church in Europe which has been built in a red brick gothic style.

an examples:

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
They are all so unique and inspiring! I gotta go with St. Basil's Cathedral, because it's so unique and colorful. Notre Dame is number two for me because of its beautiful details.

·
Registered
547 Posts
My personal favorite out of these five is St. Peter's Basilica, and that doesn't have to do with anything about recent events; so it's not a mercy vote, I just love the architecture of the basilica and the square.

Another opinion of mine is that instead of Notre Dame being on here, I would have gone with Westminster Abbey. Just the fact that Notre Dame is such a huge tourist attraction turned me off a little. Westminster Abbey was quiter and in my opinion invited a more spiritual experience. It also has the graves of so many people throughout history that was quite fascinating. Anyway, I guess I shouldn't have missed the nominations. Oh, well.

·
Registered
28,068 Posts
Singidunum said:
Hagia Sofia is a museum today I think.
yes...

Hagia Sophia served as a mosque during the early years of the Turkish Republic, then declared a national monument and converted into a museum by the order of Atatuk on 24 October 1934.

·
Head Knockin' Forever
12,983 Posts
Hagia Sophia, St. Basil's and Notre Dame are my favorites among the finalists.

I voted for Hagia Sophia, one of the oldest masterpieces of the world.

·
Oh! There he is!!
938 Posts
i feel that milan cathedral comes a close second to st peters basilica. the only one i have never visited and indeed sung inside if hagia sofia. koln dom is huge and imposing but i find it too busy and too much like many other cathedrals across the world...for example its west front wall is very similar to many other cathedrals. St peters is a treasure and a vast beautiful glorious church but milano cathedral has all the elements of a perfect cathedral with its funerous spires and absolutely amazing internal vaulting. ...the best place to sing in btw on this list is notre dame. but its still crap compared to westminster abbey & cathedral, bristol cathedral and st georges windsor and even eton college chapel lol
but after all that st peters on this list alone wins

·
Premium Member
16,252 Posts
How did Notre Dame de Paris managed to get in?

Reims was 100 times better.

Koln gets my vote.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.