SkyscraperCity banner

Vote for FOUR CITIES for the remaining four host city slots for FIFA Canada 2007.

• Hamilton

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • Laval

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • London

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • Montreal

Votes: 38 62.3%
  • Ottawa

Votes: 32 52.5%
  • Quebec City

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Sherbrooke

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Vancouver

Votes: 42 68.9%
  • Victoria

Votes: 26 42.6%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The FIFA World Youth Championship is coming to Canada in 2007!

Over a three week period, a total of 52 games will take place in six cities across the country. Toronto and Edmonton have already been pre-selected as host cities, but four locations still need to be awarded.

The bid cities:

Edmonton
Hamilton
Laval
London
Montreal
Ottawa
Quebec City
Sherbrooke
Toronto
Vancouver
Victoria

Toronto and Edmonton have not been included in the poll as they are definites announced by Soccer Canada. The bids from Calgary and Winnipeg ditched out.

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Halifax has a stadium planned to be built by sometime around 2009 with 25,000 seats i think for their new CFL franchise....yes, too bad.

I voted for Vancouver, Victoria, Montreal, and Ottawa.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Right now its looking like Vancouver, Victoria, Montreal and Ottawa. If it were me I would have liked to have the 6 large metros of Canada doing this. Plus we could have an east grouping and a western grouping. That way the 3 stadia in the east would be close as would the west once making it easy for travel. Of course once you get nearer to the end this would change but that would be only for a couple teams. Now with Calgary and Winnipeg out I would like Victoria due to travel issues

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
For Hamilton's bid they want to make good use of McMaster Sportcomplex.

It's all part of McMaster University $30 million new sport complex. Construction starts next month and should be completed by September 2006. This was part of Hamilton's 2010 Commonwealth Games bid.

Project website: http://www.mcmastersportsplex.ca/

·
Who yeah gonna call?
110 Posts
Montreal, Hamilton, Vancouver, Ottawa

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Hamilton bows out of U20 Soccer Championship

HAMILTON - Hamilton will not bid to become a host city for the 2007 under-20 soccer championship in Canada.

Tourism Hamilton executive director David Adames says a mini-feasibility study showed the tournament would not be financially beneficial to the city.

Toronto and Edmonton will provide the centerpiece venues for the tournament.

The Canadian Soccer Association will announce 4 more host cities on May 4th.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If no new stadium ends up being built in Vancouver, yet Vancouver wins a host slot, would they end up using good ol' Swangard in Burnaby? At least international visitors are always delighted when I point it out as the major soccer venue.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Intresting. I guess thats another city out of the running. Well I hope Vancouver, Victoria, Montreal and Ottawa come through.

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
zonie said:
If no new stadium ends up being built in Vancouver, yet Vancouver wins a host slot, would they end up using good ol' Swangard in Burnaby? At least international visitors are always delighted when I point it out as the major soccer venue.
Maybe Swanguard, but it's quite old and small and IMO it needs a lot of improvements.

Perhaps BC Place? It would be a great pre-Olympic Games practice event for Vancouver. The stadium recently bought a FIFA approved field turf.

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Confused Philosopher said:
Why is Canada hosting it? We're gonna do so horrible...

Anyways, my vote goes to Montreal.
FIFA is really interested in us. They want to see us host the World Cup in 2018. The federal government also wants to host it.

the other FIFA event we hosted a few years back in Western Canada was a success though.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts