SkyscraperCity Forum banner
21 - 40 of 211 Posts

· Registered
3,801 Posts
Keith said something to me just after the consultation that is actually true, surprisingly ;). This isn't Castlefield or Manchester Gardens.

The style of Manchester Gardens is gorgeous and Glenbrook have kept that with The Trilogy and tweaked it slightly. Cornbrook is a different area. It needs to establish its own identity whilst referencing some of the similar styles used around St Georges.

The residential towers have a zig-zag similar to No1 Castlefield tower; they are grey/white exposed floors similar to The Trilogy/No1 Castlefield tower; they are similar in height to Manchester Gardens; blocky like St Georges Island etc.
I'm frequently on point. :)

It's a gateway site - I'm not one for every building matching each other, but I do like that it takes references from existing buildings and then is bold enough to do something sharp (and sharp is very much the word) of its own. The views they had at the consultation from Cornbrook station were brilliant. Plus, the development over the road behind the car showroom will also match up well. I think, if the hotel is on a similar level, this is a good development for the gateway.

· Read Only
16,598 Posts
Its down to the hotel really. If the hotel is a naff design, and lets face it LRW aren't my favourite Architectural practice then this has the potential to let down the whole area, including Manchester Gardens.

· Registered
3,646 Posts

A lot of hate for the approved scheme on here.

I'm going to stick my neck out here.... and say you might actually quite like it when it's built.

It's a hunch and I might be wrong. But it's not boring brick and it's not cheap-looking aluminium cladding. It is something slightly different.

As Urbaniser said, I concur it has a bit of an abstact Amsterdam feel to it. Once you go out of the centre and along the Eastern Docklands you see residential apartments with abstract and colourful facades. The vertical balustrading, cantilevered and angled balconies will give it an interesting appearance from street level.

If you want hideous then have a look at the Pomona flats nearby! Give it a chance folks.

· Registered
3,646 Posts
I don't get it - the legend on the pile has 3 different colours but the same description "Denotes 525mm Dia CFA piles up to 25m deep".

What's the difference apart from the groupings?
Not entirely sure but a couple of potential ideas.

The drawing is issued 'for information' - not 'for construction' - it reads simply as an indicative plan of where the piles (and building columns) have to go without any specification. It's sufficient enough to discharge the piling condition so the local authority know what they are drilling down into, while the piling sub-contractor will specify the ideal piling sizing in more detail for construction. Both these processes - discharging the condition and the sub-contractor specifying the piling can be resolved in parallel. A few weeks later, the subbie and local authority have worked up spec/discharged the condition so they can swiftly commence on-site without having to wait on one another and hold up the programme. Time is money afterall.

On the colour issue - people in construction simply put colour to denote things so when they are discussing drawings on the phone it is a lot easier to understand. It sounds rudimentary but you'll see construction drawings which have the graph around the edge of the sheet so people can refer to that when discussing drawings. "It's the dry riser in A-3 on the plan" is a lot easier to understand than "It's one of the dry risers near on the north side of the building" and doesn't open you up to being liable for a expensive misunderstanding.

21 - 40 of 211 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.