Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The City
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to see a wacky, zany new tower in Chicago.

Just one tower, not more, that while a bit cheesy, is just fun to look at.

Partly inspired by the Westin in NYC, I feel that Chicago's architecture takes itself too seriously. Sure the Chicago Spire and Aqua will be playful in form, but they still seem to have that "I am a serious architectural statement" kind of thing going on.

And that's fine. Chicago ain't clowning around, and why should it?

But would it hurt the cityscape/skyline to have just one prominent building that kind of tickles the world around it, winning over those touristy oos and aahhs that we all loathe yet ultimately covet?

Chicago's architecture speaks for itself, but I wouldn't mind something adding a splash of visual fun to the whole place. Block 37 would have been a nice location for this, but I guess it's too late for that. The Wit is the closest new development that I can think of which resembles what I"m talking about, but it's still far too subtle and modest.

Any thoughts?

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
we already have a tacky, wacky, comically bad, towering absurdity in our skyline. it's known as the R.R. Donnelly Center.

·
Registered
283 Posts
maybe, but its risky.

Look at that stupid skyscraper in shanghai that looks like a science toy tripod. that is the world's tackiest building and no matter how good the rest of shanghai gets, that stupid thing will always hold the beauty of the rest of the city down.

so even if its good for tourism, tacky can be bad. But only a halfway tacky and wacky building? yeah, that might be alright.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
How about a neon type building like Hong Kong has. It could be normal by day and then at night, its over-the-topness really comes out. I'm sure many of you will strongly object but I wouldn't mind having just 1.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
^^ That would be too much for me. What might fit in Hong Kong does not belong in a city like Chicago.
We all know that Chicago is basically a skyscraper museum. To really embrace this, shouldn't we at least have one of every major style of building? It doesn't have to be the tallest in the city either, just decent height.

·
Registered
77 Posts
in the same vein, it would be cool to see some more interesting lighting schemes on chicago buildings. i did an interview with tim samuelson once and he was telling me chicago used to have many more "active light" features on buildings, like the beacon on top of the palmolive building (which may come back), some weird laser-like thing on the top of the lasalle wacker building and a strobing light in the beehive of the Britannica building on michigan ave. i'm hoping trump, waterview and the architectonica building do something cool.

·
Jack-Of-All-Trades
1,391 Posts
like the beacon on top of the palmolive building (which may come back)
Where'd you hear this? I would LOVE for it to come back, but it would of course have to be limited to a North-East sweep, since we don't want it shining in the windows of the Hancock/Gold Coast residents.

The Spire's supposed to have a "spire of light", but nobody's really spoken too much about it so far.

·
Registered
838 Posts
It's not a building, but isn't the Jelly Bean already "wacky" and "zany"? It gets the tourist "oos and aahs," and is wierd and fun to look at.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
No. No. No. Chicago is not about zaniness or wackiness or "fun". The appeal of the Chicago skyline is its classical order. The steps up and down from the Hancock. The Aon mid point. The Sears marking the Southern tip, the river canyon etc. all seem to work. It is monumental, vast and imposing. it is not for wacky invention.

Chicago is a masculine city and has the masculine virtues: grandeur, strenght, substance. A wacky tower would be like a ribbon in a man's hair ; supposedly fun but really emasculating and feminising.

No.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts