SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
poor Waco has a bad reputation. a railroad publicity stunt that killed people in 1896, an attrocious lynching in 1916, an Air Force base closure, a downtown tornado in 1953 that killed 114 which hit at the same time as "urban renewal," and then the 1993 Branch Davidian siege nearby.

so instead of being known as a soft drink mecca, the birthplace of Dr. Pepper and Big Red, and a city with some nice architecture, it's known as "Whacko."

here's some pics from a hot day in May. the sane people are inside, avoiding the 110 degree heat. a heat most Americans can't imagine; i'm talking Kuwait-desert heat.

skyline from Dr. Pepper museum

one of the coolest masonic temples i've ever seen...

ewww...

this guy took Dr. Pepper to the big time

filming the indie movie "Sironia"

geodesic dome funeral home

-

·
Registered
36 Posts
huh? all are loading for me.

-
Might be an iPad. I usually browse with an iPad, and it always only loads about the first 25 pictures. For everything else, I have to go to a desktop/laptop. This is the only site I have experienced this on, though. But I have tried 4 different browsers for the iPad and they all behave the same for SSC.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I used to live in Waco as kid from 1987-1990 and still have a few friends there. It really hasn't changed much, but does have some beautiful sites, especially along the river and lake. By the way, I attended church at the one in picture 40. It is quite impressive inside as well...at least it seemed that way when I was 12. I also remember the video we had to watch on the Waco tornado in 6th grade science class. IMO, Waco never really recovered from that.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Always wondered what Waco looked like and the only reference to it is of course the David Koresh incident in 1993. It looks like a ghost town! Quite creepy!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yep, that is Waco. I lived there from 1987-1989 and haven't visited since. The couple of years there were good.

It's great to see the downtown area again, however the "life" of the city is not in the downtown area which can give the impression the city is dead. Life is along or near the main drag of the city which is a road called Valley Mills. Like most places in Texas the pedestrian is a afterthought there but there are plenty of cars, people shopping, working and living their lives in that part of town. Plus my favorite thing about Waco was the HUGE lake, which I never tired of. LSyd, did you get any shots of the lake? Oh and Baylor University was alive and well along with a Historically Black University called Paul Quinn College (which I think has since relocated to Dallas).

Downtown Waco, at the time, was just a place to work. Nontheless, it is great seeing the city again.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Nice job, LSyd. :) You really have captured the essence of the downtown area. While most of it still has that abandoned feel, the area around the city hall has been revitalized, where numerous long-planned projects are finally happening. It has begun to resemble what a proper downtown should look like.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I love the Alico building!

Whats the deal on Baylor getting a new stadium?

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
God, that place seems DEAD. These pictures don't really do it justice.

I went to downtown Waco once in the middle of the day during a weekday, and saw no one.... kind of eerie.

As for that stadium, I think they're still in planning.

·
Registered
598 Posts

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the replies

God, that place seems DEAD. These pictures don't really do it justice.

I went to downtown Waco once in the middle of the day during a weekday, and saw no one.... kind of eerie.

As for that stadium, I think they're still in planning.
the heat index was about 112 when i took these pics. i hadn't been so hot since i was in Kuwait.

-

1 - 18 of 18 Posts