Discussion Starter #1
Wah Kwong House
Albert Embankment
SE1

Development Facts

Developer: G&G Properties

Architect: RHWL Architects

Hotel rooms: 102

Piling is going on at Wah Kwong House on Albert Embankment. Sadly the bus I was on moved too fast to get a photo. For a reminder it's a 15 storey apart-hotel. This is a photo of the project from SkyscraperNews:

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK so I'm not even sure if this crane is for Wah Kwong House anymore.

It's now gone, but it has built a white tower crane. I got a photo and a short video from a 87 bus today of it being constructed, video here: https://flic.kr/p/ocuKyV

And the photo at the bottom of this post.

But yeah the tower crane seem to be positioned as if it's on top of the Park Plaza Riverbank hotel which has a planned expansion (see this article for details: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/6992)

So I'm not certain if the tower crane is for Wah Kwong, Park Plaza Riverbank or even Corniche. I think it's unlikely to be the latter as they've got a decent size site to build a crane on. It might be for Wah Kwong due to the tight site meaning it's better to have the crane elsewhere.

Untitled by inckamail, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well even if the crane is for the extension of the hotel next door (I'm not sure it is or not - they might have formed an agreement with them to use a crane on their property), work is going on on this project, as can be seen from this phone camera photo I took on the 77 bus:

Untitled by inckamail, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
So good to see this area getting a make over. For somewhere so central, right on the river, so close to Westminster, this area is very neglected and unappealing.

When I used to work in London I used to go passed these buildings everyday on the train. Not a very good first impression for newcomers to London. At least one building looked abandoned, with smashed glass windows.

With Battersea, Nine Elms and Albert Embankment being cleaned up and modernised, this whole stretch of river front is going to be vastly improved come 2020. Cannot wait!

Get rid of the Doddington and Rollo estate too and I'll be ecstatic.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A large road crane is outside today, took some shots from a rainy bus. You can also see progress on the hotel extension in front of it, people still seem to be using it as a hotel while construction goes on overhead. I guess this is typical for hotels.

IMG_4113 by inckamail, on Flickr

IMG_4116 by inckamail, on Flickr

Sorry for terrible quality of the photos

·
, , and , Fade to Black.
7,961 Posts
It was horrid weather yesterday with the heavy rain.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
It's such a painfully dreary looking building, then again next doors green glass roof extension horror and the hotel that forgot to order matching cladding makes for a trio of terrible mistakes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts