Futurist
38,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Walbrook Square
City of London

Height: 106m, 71m, 67m and 66m.
Forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=351887

Notes:
Walbrook Square is a major redevelopment of a prominent site between Cannon Street and Bank stations which will see
the demolition of Bucklesbury House, one of the City's ugliest and most notorious concrete groundscrapers. In its place will
stand four individual buildings connected by a new public square and 'historic' pedestrian routes, along with an exhibition space
displaying the remains of the Roman Temple of Mithras. In total, this massive development will contain almost a million square feet
of floorspace and will feature buildings of 106m, 71m, 67m and 66m. This development will be very visible from Waterloo Bridge
and the South Bank.

·
LONDON - Westminster
2,841 Posts
I have never rated anything 1 but for me this and Potters Fields are the worst projects in London right now.

Why do I not like it?

1 - It destroys the nice art deco London Chambers of Commerce buildings. In the 60s these buildings were saved and it would be a pity to see them go now and get some glass box in return.

2 - It is not a positive contribution to the skyline when looking at it from ground level along the Thames. A mid-rise groundscaper, a bit like Plantation Place, taking the soar out of T42 and the Gherkin (and everything else that will come).

3. - It reduces open space. In NY planning laws would require them to increase open space as they build taller. That is why NY, despite its higher density, remains enjoyable.

4. - This is subjective but I call this new trend "footballers' wive architecture": no class but certainly "look at me".

·
Better To Do Nothing
10,500 Posts
:puke:

Absolutely vile, for so many reasons

This is even worse than that 'thing' proposed for 20 fenchurch street - think of the damage that 20fc will do to the skyline and multiply it by 10 and you will come close to the damage this godforsaken, hulking blob of a monstrosity will do.

I really do think Foster is the most over-rated architect on the planet - bar a couple of gems, he comes out with utter bland, banal and downright ugly crap on a consistent basis

2 out of 10 (it only gets that because it means the demolition of an equally repulsive bit of crap)

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
9.5/10

A building that is of our age yet compliments St Pauls,
provides a delightful backdrop for all the low rise dross

(in the right light it looks like it will bring out the refined Wrens spires that have been subdued for decades)

its final skyline trick is that it provides an eye catching but honest plinth for the rising cluster behind
far more successfully than the dull flat-lining mid rises we had to put up with.

Then it goes and recreates some pleasing pedestrian routes and heals some war wound in Queen
Victoria Street... all this in one building??!!?!? The glass cladding might cause a wry smile but I think
it has so many positives and cant believe the negativity...bring it on! (oh and please dont change it)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
9.5/10

A building that is of our age yet compliments St Pauls,
provides a delightful backdrop for all the low rise dross

(in the right light it looks like it will bring out the refined Wrens spires that have been subdued for decades)

its final skyline trick is that it provides an eye catching but honest plinth for the rising cluster behind
far more successfully than the dull flat-lining mid rises we had to put up with.

Then it goes and recreates some pleasing pedestrian routes and heals some war wound in Queen
Victoria Street... all this in one building??!!?!? The glass cladding might cause a wry smile but I think
it has so many positives and cant believe the negativity...bring it on! (oh and please dont change it)
10/10, purely because Potto actually sounds enthusiastic for once! ;)

Only kidding Potto, I love you really!

Seriously though, I agree with everything the Pottster has said - it will look fantastic on the skyline. It is 'look-at-me' architecture, but most great buildings are 'look-at-me', e.g. St Pauls, the Houses of Parliament, Swiss Re, Lloyds, if it wasn't for 'look-at-me' architecture, our urban environments would be extremely dull.

However, I do have slight concerns about the building at ground level. The top of the building is superb, but there could be better detailing down below and they need to reduce some of the bulk. If they can do this, then I would give it a 9/10, if not, then I'd give it an 8.

·
Registered
22,786 Posts
Bold, brave piece of architecture straight out of a futuristic sci-fi movie, slap bang in the centre of historical and financial London. More ballsy than anything around at the moment - a next generation Swiss Re that gives the skyline a real momument to the future, and the Temple Of Mithras an iconic almost-alienesque marker for London. Amazing.

Streetlevel needs a bit of a redesign though, but it's worth it just for the top piece.

8/10

·
Registered
22,786 Posts
I really hope this shit doesn't get build because it'll seriously **** up the london skyline.
How can an organic flowing structure which has nothing else like it in the world **** up the London skyline? It adds depth, creates a relationship with Swiss Re and gives something quite feminine to the solid towers of the background skyline.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
I like this. It is very very unique! I would love to see this in Birmingham. I think if creates a good blend from the low rise to the skyscrapers. 9/10

·
Modernist Glory Boy
511 Posts
Says the man who likes soul crushing brutalist structures...

Whatever you think it is, it isnt a 0 or a 1..
m8 t's about opinion.

I don't like it, you do. I'll live. :)

I suspect Walbrook will die, though, on Ruth Kelly's desk... *crosses fingers*

To me it's the biggets and roundest of zeroes, soz. And while I do like the rationality and crispness of modernism. I am no Brutalist. Although I don't find that my soul is crushed by buildings of any sort to be honest.

·
actual gherkin
13,933 Posts
I wish it was more smooth. The dome shape works so well from Waterloo bridge, but up close it looks so jarred and messy. I think it needs a tad refining, to eliminate the brutalness and jagged corners. 4/10 but potential to be an 8/10 if it was just more smooth!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts