SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
The Decline and Fall of the Lyceum

There seems to a website link to old Newport here:

http://www.newportpast.com/gallery/postcards/bridgest/index.htm

Appareantly The Lyceum was on Queens Square, Bridge St (I'm unfamiliar with Newport so I don't know if this makes any sense w.r.t. today's layout).

I would hazard a guess that it has probably been replaced by the municipal magnificence of a poundstretcher , a greggs and maybe a weatherspoons. Please could I be proved wrong?

Here's to the planners :bash:

·
Registered
268 Posts
There seems to a website link to old Newport here:

http://www.newportpast.com/gallery/postcards/bridgest/index.htm

Appareantly The Lyceum was on Queens Square, Bridge St (I'm unfamiliar with Newport so I don't know if this makes any sense w.r.t. today's layout).

I would hazard a guess that it has probably been replaced by the municipal magnificence of a poundstretcher , a greggs and maybe a weatherspoons. Please could I be proved wrong?

Here's to the planners :bash:
It used to stand where City Cinema now is.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=NP20&ie=UTF8&ll=51.58794,-2.999155&spn=0.001288,0.001864&t=k&z=19&om=1

The sad part about all these demolitions is the people really thought it was progressive!

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Newport actually used to have some really beautiful old architecture. The redevelopment of large parts of the town in the 20th century was terribly damaging. Thankfully not everything was lost - much remains on Commercial street, the old market building remains and there are still two old arcades (I don't know if there were originally more). I just hope that what is currently proposed for the city is built to a high standard so as to go some way towards reparing the damage previous 'regeneration' projects inflicted.

·
Banned
1,943 Posts
You know, oddly enough the most frequent types of buildings demolished in Newport, of significant architectural beauty seems to have been theatres.

I am however, so very glad that the former Odeon Cinema near TJ's remains.

·
Banned
1,943 Posts

Post Office and Savoy Hotel

NOT LOST:

but i mentioned it earlier. So far as i know, the most Art Deco building in Newport?

·
Registered
10,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I have seen pics of that area helium, it was quite a nice collection of buildings though nothing outstanding, the old library being the architectural focus of this area. Here is the general area, though this photo is taken from the site you mentioned. I know id preffer what was there to St Davids 2

here is a better view

The central hotel, lets hope what goes here is as good

heres queen street, who else would love to have trams back?

·
Registered
44 Posts
im curious as to what the area in Cardiff, which is now the saint davids centre.
There is a superb 36 part book series called "Cardiff Yesterday" of which I have close to a full set. There are many good pictures in it of that old area.

I remember it very clearly, and I actually worked on the construction of St. David's Center as a labourer when I was a teenager. I was responsible for guiding the pre-fabricated concrete veneers onto the building and bolting them into place.

What used to be there was nothing of any real architectural note. The main east-west thoroughfare was Bridge Street which came right off the end of Mill Lane. It was a collection of chip shops, a few pubs, some very old stores and there used to be the last pure kosher butcher in Cardiff there. One notorious pub that was there was the Greyhound which served rough cider.

There were a number of streets that ran northward from Bridge Street. There were odd little clubs, warehouses and professional premises, but not much else. There were back entrances to Marks and Spencer, Woolworths, Mackross etc.

There were a few nice old buildings which were demolished to build St. Davids Hall near the Central Library.

Perhaps the greatest architectural loss in the area was at the other end od Queen Street. Not only was the Capitol demolished which in itself was a tragedy, but also the Cory Hall opposite the Queen Street station. The Capitol was magnificent inside and upstairs was incredibly opulent with huge areas of marble and a tea room that overlooked Queen Street.

The Cory Hall had a reallly gorgeous theatre in it. Incredibly ornate and vestige of a time long passed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm not terribly adept at scanning etc. I'll try my best though. Don't expect anything for a few days though.

It's a pretty nice series of books though.

I'd be happy to answer any questions though. I left Cardiff in 1980 and even though I've been back a lot, my images of Cardiff are sort of stuck in the
70's. I can remember things quite clearly.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Lyceum = stunning

defo an inter war years photo that one

but stunning noentheless

50/60's planners should be ostracised for their unforgiveable decisions

·
Registered
516 Posts
yes we'd all love the trams back, even if they were not really trams but trolley busses...we'd love them back all the same.

what gets me is that all these old photos appear to have much more in the way of atmosphere...it looks all hustle and bustle.

And I just love the awnings...don't know why, but I'd love to see their return

21 - 40 of 123 Posts