SkyscraperCity banner

101 - 120 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
After a further fifteen minutes of quizical analysis, I'm still flummoxed by the picture. Almost all of the waterways appear to have gone.

Has the river which leads down into the very bottom RHS of the pic been filled in???

Am I correct in thinking that Atlantic Wharf now lies on the 'island' in the middle bit at the top ? if so what happened to all the water right at the top of the pic? Also, what an astonishing reclamation job that must have been. It makes the ISV Ferry Road task seem simple in comparison.

From what I can make out, the only remaining waterway is the one which flows into the bottom LHS of the pic?

Astonishing

·
Registered
218 Posts
From the bottom left to the top right:

The Taff
Glamorgan canal, now filled in, currently Canal Park
Bute Dock West, also filled in, now Lloyd George Avenue and Atlantic Wharf
Bute Dock East, still there but a bit shorter than it used to be I think.

·
Registered
25 Posts
In the late 70's I spent a couple of years as a projectionist at the Plaza Cinema, although I don't remember the layout of the building very well, I do remember the views from the balcony towards, Gabalfa, Radyr and Garth Mountain, particularly nice on a summers evening with a can of lager.

I also remember ending up in the Hope one Christmas night after wondering around Cathays, Splott, Roath, Heath, Canton, Llandaff and various other areas looking for some grog!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Fascinating pictures!

I can't believe central square in 1991. how god-damned unambitious was that!? (Not that central square is great now mind..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Milladium

The picture of central square with the millennium stadium in the background. Can I just ask when that was taken. I work in the hotel that is now stood where the pic was shot from and was just wondering if it was taken from one of our rooms or before we were built.

Cheers

·
Registered
10,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
You must work in the travelodge then? I used to work there. Not entirely sure but i think it must have been from the great western as the travelodge rooms were a bit further north than this view. I imagine it wasnt taken too long ago (5 years max) which means your hotel was there.

·
Maaaaaaaaarvellous
2,685 Posts
Nah, I reckon he works in Sleeperz. And it's a more recent photo than it appears to be I think - I don't see the Cader Idris sculpture there, and that was only removed a few months ago. My money's on the photo being taken from the top of Sleeperz - if you look you can actually see its shadow, I think. It's too far South to be the Great Western, that's for sure.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Regarding that pick of St Mary St above does anyone else think the Marquis of Bute should be returned from his lonely exile in Callaghan Square? The Marquis on a large plinth looking north towards the castle would be a great focal point especially when the Central Hotel site is redeveloped.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Wasnt it Queen Victoria?

Nope definately the Marquis of Bute. The actual statue is now in Callaghan Square. When I was a kid that end of St Mary St was always known as the monument end.

On the subject of Queen Vic I don't think there is a statue of her in Cardiff. If so we must be one of the few larger UK cities without one as she seems to pop up all over the place. We do of course have Victoria Park....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Look at what was lossed for the empty site that is now the glass needle (obviosly not for that reason). Looks like this was a time of large development in Cardiff as well. What is that grand building the western end of wood street bridge? Also the embankement looks really muddy like Newports is, i cant remember the embankment before the barrage, was it muddy?

Good morning all.
Im new to the site and whist trawling through the fantastic photo,s of old Cardiff, i came across this one. with the questions.
The building next to the river was a chapel, im not sure which denomination.
Welsh slate roof, grey stone walls with sand stone edgings
The building next to it was at thev time i knew it, Cardiff transport Deptment, ( Cardiff Bus). It was a red brick building with another slate roof. Iv been in it many times using its staff canteen. It was like a rabbit warren inside with passages going everywhere.
Across the road looking north, was the site of the Wales Empire Pool. which was built in1956/7. I worked in the Empire pool for a number of years. Behind that was the army barracks and TA centre. Going east along that road , who,s name i have forgetten, was the post Office transport depot and then the main Westgate St post office.
Was the River Taff muddy. Yes it was and it was tidal with heaps of junk in it. As you went up river there was heaps of coal dust mixed in with the mud and was quite black.
Kiwitaff.
If you have any questions i lived in Cardiff 1950 /85, so remember a lot of the old buildings.

101 - 120 of 123 Posts