SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1,120 Posts
Good to hear that they plan improvements for ALL stations in Wales. My local station is nothing more than a platform, a "shelter" (with a high roof and no sides, thus not providing very much shelter at all!) and a departures board that was only installed 5 or 6 years ago. However, 15 years is a long time frame.

·
1,264 Posts
More about Transport for Wales trains, but I visited Caerphilly today, and I thought pacer trains had been eradicated, I was wrong. What a hopeless racket they are... though part of me is happy I got to ride one again before they do eventually get replaced.

·
1,120 Posts
Ha! I work in Caerphilly and take a Pacer train most days. Some of them have stickers on them announcing "These trains are terminating soon", and the posters on board say they will all be retired by the end of the year (which is rapidly approaching).

Of course, we're not getting new trains straight away but an eclectic selection of Class 37s and Intercity carriages that have been on test up and down the valleys over the last few months:

Class 37 diesel engine and former Intercity carriages in use for driver training at Energlyn and Churchill Park station, Caerphilly, 2019 by Jeremai Smith, on Flickr

Class 37 diesel engine and former Intercity carriages in use for driver training at Energlyn and Churchill Park station, Caerphilly, 2019 by Jeremai Smith, on Flickr

·
1,264 Posts
Caerphilly, a lovely place to visit as a tourist, dont know if I'd like to commute there though. Despite that, I'm not gonna lie, if a Class 37 pulled up, the kid in me wouldnt have got off :lol:

·
1,120 Posts
My previous job was an hour cross-valleys to Cwmbran, for 10.5 years, so the straight shot commute down the valley to Caerphilly, half an hour by car or train, is a dream. The Class 37s are incredibly loud. I live a quarter of a mile from the railway and I always know when there's a Class 37 going past.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
A contruction update for the Premier Inn in Cardiff city centre shows the current state of GWR electrication works just outside Cardiff Central. Pylons all appear to be up but no sign of cabling yet. I believe they are still targetting January for Electric operations, does anyone know if that's still realistic?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts

·
1,120 Posts
Transport for Wales announces 186 more Sunday train services

20/11/2019

An additional 186 Sunday train services have been announced by Transport for Wales.

The train operating company said Sunday services would be "transformed" from December by a 40% increase.

It said it was a "significant step towards the creation of a truly seven-day railway".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-50490538

·
Registered
112 Posts
Electrified train are now running from Central to Paddington.
Apparently the Severn Tunnel is almost sorted as far as the cabling goes so for now the trains revert to diesel whilst in the tunnel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts