Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
In Time
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so yesterday I went out to Queens. It was a very nice sunny day in the city, so it was perfect for another of my photo tours. I usually go to Jackson Heights alot. Especially for food. This is ofcourse one of the most diverse neighborhoods in NYC. A trully melting pot. Enjoy my pics! :)

Jackson Heights, Queens

Jackson Heights is a neighborhood in north-western portion of the borough of Queens in New York City, USA. The neighborhood is part of Queens Community Board 3.

Jackson Heights is an urban melting pot with many ethnic populations, but mainly consists of Latin Americans, multi-generational European, and Asian Americans. The Hispanic American population consists of a various mix of Latinos from many Latin American countries, mainly Ecuador, Colombia (67,000 population), Bolivia, Mexico, Argentina and Uruguay.There is also a large population of Europeans of multi-generational Italian, Jewish, Polish, Irish, and Russian descent. The Asian American community includes immigrants from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, China, Korea, and the Philippines. Little India is located around the intersection of Roosevelt Avenue and 74th Street, near Broadway (distinct from Broadway in Manhattan).

Jackson Heights is among the first garden city communities built in the United States, as part of the international Garden City movement at the turn of the last century. There are more private parks (historically called gardens by the residents) within walking distance of each other than in any other city in America. They are tucked in the mid-blocks, mostly hidden from view by the buildings surrounding them. Several approach the size of Gramercy Park in Manhattan, and one is slightly larger. As befits private parks, unless given an invitation, the key to gain entry is to own a co-op around its perimeter. The basis for the private ownership of the parks of Jackson Heights is derived from its founding principle; as a privately-owned little garden city, built largely under the oversight of one person. The private gardens help make the historic part of the neighborhood highly desirable.

The Historic District of Jackson Heights is also the more affluent part of Jackson Heights in it's entirety.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Heights,_Queens

·
5,837 Posts
Krull! Sweet shots kid. Great walkable hood too. I had this Idea to do a walking tour of nyc hoods n snap shots last year but by then the summer was winding down and I just got busy with work as September was rolling around I think I might tag you and chime in with some outer borough tours this summer. I'll have some time on the weekends, it may be cool.

·
Put it in your mouth
7,111 Posts
It looks like there's a real mix of people there -that's really fantastic.
I love culturally diverse areas.

Great photo tour :)

·
In Time
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Krull! Sweet shots kid. Great walkable hood too. I had this Idea to do a walking tour of nyc hoods n snap shots last year but by then the summer was winding down and I just got busy with work as September was rolling around I think I might tag you and chime in with some outer borough tours this summer. I'll have some time on the weekends, it may be cool.
Please do your NYC photo tours. It is so much fun. It gets me out of my area in the city and see places that are interesting, or the ones that I don't go too often or notice before, and then post them here and share it with the world. ;)

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Wow. Great thread dude! I usually go to this neighborhood for food too. I really admire your work. Ive also been thinking of doing my own neighborhood threads but i always seem to forget. I cant wait for you to capture by my neighborhood like the usual japanese tourist.

"Krull, coming soon to a neighborhood near you." :lol:

·
In Time
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^ Many of them were built from the 1920's to the 1940's. They were to house the well off middle class. Most of those buildings have private parks that are the lenght of almost a whole block. Today they are relative affordable compare to the rest of 'nicer' areas in the city. There are actually tours of that neighborhood and some of those parks during the year. They are really nice.

Jackson Heights is mainly composed of private homes, co-op buildings, and rentals, with a small number of condominiums. Rentals in the Jackson Heights Historic District range from about the low $1,000s to the high $1,000s depending on size. Co-ops and condos range from $150,000s for studios to $700,000 and up for "classic seven" apartments. Houses range from $550,000 to the low $1,000,000s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Heights,_Queens

·
Sexy Astronaut
11,813 Posts
^^ Thanks for the info, When I look at this neighbourhood alot of those apartments seem sort of surreal, like weird enlarged stretched out versions of European mansions.
But overall I like how balaced they look, not too large or overbearing but not too 'meager' looking either.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am also so impress by the amount of retail and people under those tracks and in the whole area! NYC is just too amazing!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hey how did I missed this one?? Some fantastic buildings in here. Next time I go to NYC will visit this neighborhood for sure.

·
In Time
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^^ Yes I love some of these buildings in this neighborhood. It is one of my favorites places to visit in NYC. I really recommend it.

Thanks for the comments.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts