Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, there has been much demand for these pics, so here they are! It was a very brief visit to WA and I only had 3 hours one afternoon to photograph the CBD of Perth. Here are my highlights...

Enjoy! :cheers2:

Perth Railway Station
I ended up in trouble with the police for taking this shot. And no joke, it was the very first pic of Perth that I took!! (I was apparently threatening national security).

Miscellaneous city pics...

A Federation beauty...

It's like being back in the Mother Country!!

Just magnificent...The Savoy

Captain James Stirling, first Govenor of Western Australia

Stirling Gardens

This wins The Olderfleet's "Best Perth Heritage Building" award. It is the Bank of Western Australia building.

If only I has the time, I would have loved to dine here....

The runner up in The Olderfleet's "Best Perth Heritage Building" award.

Supreme Court of Western Australia. Perhaps this is where I might have ended up, for taking that first photo?!

Council House. The winner of The Olderfleet's "Best Non-Heritage Building" award...

All that photography and walking has made me weary... time for a drink at the Criterion!

General Post Office Perth. Unlike Melbourne, this is still used as a post office!

·
Watch my Chops
6,047 Posts
Great shots what day did you take them.

·
Registered
77,376 Posts
great stuff olderfleet!
hey Council House is actually a heritage bldg! built in 63, it was one of first modern office bldgs, nicley set in a park.
won lot of awards

the sole example of Art deco highrise in WA. the gorgeous GLEDDEN bldg. built in 1938 in reinforced concrete instead of steel. its turret housed an observation room for many years.It was last highrise bldg for 2 decades due to ww2.

·
Banned
598 Posts
Amazing shots, who said we didnt have some nice old buildings :p

nah but seriously great pics!!! worth the wait.

*you need like a permit or something (thats if you get caught) taking pics on Crown Land of Public Transport. Probably better to take pics of the station from the other side, the main side with the ticket machines and newsagency's etc.

*btw the last picture of the commonwealth bank, one half of it it city beach, its huge, its 2 levels and it has its own DJ who does the music on like a podium area half way up the stairs (escelators two) love the shop.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Stunning example of 60's architecture this. One of Perth's few truly internationally significant buildings.They reburbished it a few years ago at considerable cost and there was a lot of controversy about it. Coincidentally there was considerable controversy over the design when it was first built. Building can't win.

One of my favourite Perth buildings. It was built in the 40s and has a few deco touches along the arcade. All the original shopfroints are intact too.

Next door to the Gledden Building (below left) is a 4 story deco building called Devon House. It's pretty nondescript but I like it. What a lot of people don't realise is that hidden in the basement is a tiny art deco cinema. When it was open it was called the Capri. I saw A Clockwork Orange there when I was 18.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I went to Perth 3 years ago and I must say the city lacks some serious, huge shopping malls. And the city at night seems to be quite, awefully quite. Businesses close way too early (something like 4-5pm?). Don't you West Aussie guys hang out in the cities at night?

Anyway, Perth is really a pleasant place to be, quite different from what you would expect in a city. People in the streets doesn't seem to be in a hurry, unlike Chicagoans here. Locals are extremely friendly. And I enjoy the ferry ride across the lake from the CBD - a lot of photogenic opportunity.

·
Banned
598 Posts
nah people usually go to Fremantle or Northbridge at night for nightlife, yer they had a public referendum for longer shopping hours but itd didnt get voted through :(

and we actually have some pretty big shopping malls, but there in the suburbs and most are pretty big.

·
Watch my Chops
6,047 Posts
Well if you went three years ago there is a influx in people coming to the city to shop, live and play. I spend more time in the city than ever before.

I went on thursday and the rain did not even keep people away.

·
AndrewM
862 Posts
chrishung said:
And I enjoy the ferry ride across the lake from the CBD - a lot of photogenic opportunity.
You mean across the Swan River from South Perth? Yes it is quite nice - maybe a puddle compared to Lake Michigan though. May I ask what you do in Miri Chrisung?

·
Watch my Chops
6,047 Posts
andrewM said:
You mean across the Swan River from South Perth? Yes it is quite nice - maybe a puddle compared to Lake Michigan though. May I ask what you do in Miri Chrisung?
Well the swan river at it's widest point is wider than sydney harbour. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts