Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at new apartments/buildings I notice that there is no brick or concrete between the apartments when they are constructed. Is this an issue for noise having thin walls. What do they use to insulate between apartments now. I know on newer buildings they do this to save on construction costs. Does anyone have any knowledge about this issue.

·
1+1=1
860 Posts
Most developers go for a performance requirement (e.g) minimum standard.
50 ctr + rw or something like that...

·
Lurker
3,805 Posts
Walls between apartments usually aren't the problem and they are very soundproof in my experience. It's through your ceiling where you get a bit of noise - there's a young child that lives in the apartment above mine and you can hear little feet running around but it's never been a disturbance.

I've been to 1970s unit blocks that are truly terrible though - external walls so thin you can hear every conversation on the driveway and the only saving factor was the party walls were between the garages. As for noisy floors, my parents' house was much worse and if you were sitting in the living room you could hear all the footsteps above.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Walls between apartments usually aren't the problem and they are very soundproof in my experience. It's through your ceiling where you get a bit of noise - there's a young child that lives in the apartment above mine and you can hear little feet running around but it's never been a disturbance.

I've been to 1970s unit blocks that are truly terrible though - external walls so thin you can hear every conversation on the driveway and the only saving factor was the party walls were between the garages. As for noisy floors, my parents' house was much worse and if you were sitting in the living room you could hear all the footsteps above.
I have a friend who lives in a downstairs apt in Palo Alto CA that bans plain wood floors on any level except the lowest level

·
Lurker
3,805 Posts
That's a common Owners Corp rule around these areas too, but I have seen a lot of Off the Plan developments that are now offering timber or bamboo flooring for a couple of grand extra. I hope that this is reflecting an improvement in soundproofing between floors.

·
Registered
70 Posts
From my observations while my apartment building was being built it did appear to have concrete slab walls dividing the apartments.

I do not hear anything through the walls, complete silence, no TV's nothing. All I do hear are faint foot steps from the floor above.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When was your apartment constructed. Many of the new apartments being built I have noticed in the area of Hawthorn are just open floor spaces fitted out into apartments, with only little insulation between them. It does appear to be a cheap method of subdividing apartments. It is a little like a dormitory or communal living. There does not appear to be any privacy.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I think its about when, where and by whom it was constructed. Best building I have ever lived in was built by Landcom (NSW government), sold concrete walls, and could not here (even when trying) the upstairs neighbors moving about. Worst was central equity, it felt like I was living with the neighbors, sleeping with them and enjoying there smelly food, it was so cheaply built. My place in the docklands isn't much better.

As more and more people start living in apartments, and as we try to encourage apartment living, we need to have standards and pay more attention to things like "walls between apartments". Good conversation/forum, but maybe you could open it up and call it "livability standards in apartments".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts