SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, so many people arrested in the past month....

Four arrested with 176 kg of marijuana in Jakarta
Abdul Khalik, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

City police arrested Friday evening four suspected members of a drug syndicate and confiscated 176 kilograms of cannabis in their possession.

City police spokesman Sr. Comr. Tjiptono said on Saturday detectives from the city police acted on a tip that a transaction was about to take place at the Minang Asih Restaurant on Jl. Raya Buncit, South Jakarta.

"We then stationed 11 undercover detectives around the location to be ready for the transaction. One of the detectives pretended to be a driver while others observed the situation," he said.

At around 8:00 p.m., a minivan arrived in the location, and two people got out from the car and entered the restaurant to meet two others, Tjiptono said.

Police checked the car and found four boxes inside.

"We checked the content inside and found 87 kg of marijuana. We subsequently arrested the four people in the restaurant," he said.

The four, identified as Marjuki, Himainan Adi, T. Rinaldi Abdullah, and Saifudin, then told police they were storing 89 kg of marijuana in a house on Jl. Raya Tonjong, Bojong Gede, Bogor, West Java.

"We search the house and found 89 kg of marijuana also packed in boxes," Tjiptono said.

The four are now detained at the city police headquarters.

The arrest was the latest in series of antidrug raids across the capital, which have resulted in a spate of arrests for drug dealing and trafficking.

In a month-long campaign from March 22 to April 22, city police apprehended at least 761 people, including four foreigners, and confiscated over 368 kilograms of marijuana, 275 grams of heroin, 857 grams of crystal methampetamine (shabu shabu), and over 1,700 ecstasy pills.

Among the people arrested, 347 people were alleged drug dealers while 404 others were classified as drug users. The four foreigners included three Chinese nationals.

A suspected Nepalese drug trafficker identified as Man Sing Gale, 40, was shot dead last Wednesday by the police after he resisted arrest in Bekasi, West Java. Police recovered 1.25 kilograms of heroin, 276 grams of cocaine, 500 ecstasy pills and a firearm in the raid.

On April 4, police shot dead big-time drug trafficker Filip Widjajanto, 46, in a raid on his factory in Jasinga, Bogor. In the raid, police confiscated machines that were able to produce thousands of pills a day.

Big drug cases revealed in April

No. Date Cases Suspects Evidence

1. 4 Ecstasy factory Filip Widjajanto Factory able to

produce thousands

of ecstasy pills

2. 22 Trafficking 761 traffickers 275 grams of heroin

and users 857 grams of shabu

shabu, 1,700 pills 3. 26 Trafficking Man Sing Gale, 1,25 kg of heroin,

a Nepalese 276 grams of

cocaine

500 ecstasy pills 4. 27 Trafficking Sugiyanto, Deni 664.875 lexotant

Akbar, and Rahman pills

5. 27 Trafficking Marcus Aijal alias 34,801 ecstasy

Max pills

6. 29 Traficking Four people 176 kg of marijuana

·
Awesomeness
1,209 Posts
Australian woman jailed for 20 years for drug smuggling in Indonesia

DENPASAR, Indonesia (AFP) - In a verdict likely to generate outrage in her homeland, a young Australian woman has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for smuggling marijuana into the Indonesian resort island of Bali.

Judge Linton Sirait said 27-year-old Schapelle Corby was guilty of carrying 4.1 kilograms (nine pounds) of the drug onto the island last October despite her claims it had been placed in her surfboard bag by a smuggling ring.

The student beautician broke down in tears as Sirait said her crime had been "legally and convincingly" proven. She hugged her father and mother after the verdict, smiling weakly and repeatedly reassuring them: "It's okay, it's okay".

The case has generated fanatical interest in Australia, where polls show most people were convinced of her innocence. Her trial, which could have resulted in a death sentence, has been front page news for months.

Friday's sentence -- including a 100 million rupiah (10,500 dollars) fine -- could cause frictions between Jakarta and Canberra at a time when their often prickly relationship is improving.

Security has been tightened at Indonesian missions in Australia following earlier death threats.

Unrelenting media attention has prompted the involvement of Austrialia's government, which has urged Indonesia not to use the death penalty and mooted a one-off prisoner exchange deal that could see Corby repatriated.

Holidaymakers have warned they will boycott Bali, which desperately needs Australian cash to revive its tourism industry after an October 2002 bomb attack by Islamic extremists that killed 202 people, many of them Australian.

Analysts say Corby's case has touched a nerve for many Australians who for years have seen Bali as their tropical playground and fear that they could find themselves imprisoned in a squalid cell for crimes they did not commit.

Prime Minister John Howard, whose government has been accused of not doing enough to assist Corby, on Friday called on his fellow citizens to accept the verdict.

"I do ask the Australian people to accept and understand that when Australians go abroad they are subject to the justice system of the countries they visit," he said, adding that he "feels for this girl".

Speaking ahead of Friday's trial, Queensland businessman Ron Bakir, who has speaheaded campaigns for Corby's release, told AFP that Australia was convinced of her innocence.

"Ninety two percent of Australians support her. We want to take her home and that's our target."

Opinions in Indonesia have been equally forthright, with many wanting to see Corby convicted as a warning to an expanding drugs racket and a snub to what is perceived as Australian attempts to meddle in its affairs.

Throughout the trial, Corby supporters led by her friends and colourful family have gathered outside the court in Bali's capital Denpasar to protest her innocence -- sometimes clashing with Indonesian anti-drugs campaigners.

Several hundred Australian journalists crowded around the courtroom, with major networks including Sky News and Network Seven beaming live pictures of the verdict to a nation on tenterhooks.

Immediately after the sentencing, Corby's lawyers filed an appeal. Erwin Siregar, one of Corby's Indonesian counsel, criticised the verdict as "unfair".

"Testimony made by all witnesses presented by the defendant were pushed aside," he said.

Glenn Jeffers, a supporter of Corby, appealed to Indonesia's President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono to spare Corby from prison. "She is definitely a victim," he told reporters outside the court.

Corby's sister Mercedes Blake added: "She is innocent. This is not fair."

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there are some discussions about the case in the OZ forums --> Skybar --> News, weather etc.

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
another thing i wanted to say...the court proceedings were broadcast LIVE in Australia this morning. Weird...
The Australian public (and media) seems to have taken an uneducated response to this issue.

·
Awesomeness
1,209 Posts
I think they have. A poll found 92% of Australians support her. I understand their position because, if it is anything like the US, about half of people 18-26 smoke pot regularly. The message is simple, however. Don't smuggle drugs into Indonesia.

·
Awesomeness
1,209 Posts
The media is so vile. It's like they are trying to provoke the response of a rapid dog.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
I think you are just becoming defensive over an obviously flawed court system.

How can you sit there claiming we know nothing...

When your legal system was so obviously 1 sided.
Disallowing key evidence? (Fingerprinting the bag, The bag weight issues, the letter/s and testimonies about the 'drug mule' smuggling going on at our airports)
Not to mention the obvious ignorance of the judges during her testimony (Video doesnt lie) and the prosecution somehow claiming she admitted she smuggled the drugs in her testimony.

The reaction from Aust people comes because of too many obvious errors, and wrongs commited by YOUR legal system, plus its obvious failings in the past (lets not get into that).

I sincerely hope our govt forces yours to release Corby to us.

And you must realise now your economy will drop. Many australians will not visit bali now. (I personally have seen 3, 2 of which cancelled trips and one who is undecided)
Your only hurting yourselves.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey and while your at it indonesia give us back our 500 million dollar loan and all the aid we gave your country. I hope bali has a fun time when its tourism disappears. If your looking for justice dont go to indonesia looking for it.

·
Awesomeness
1,209 Posts
Why should they do that? Your own democratically elected leader has stated that Australians should respect the legal systems of other countries and respect the ruling. He is the one that initiated the 500 million dollar soft loan. It was not done by any sort of referendum by the people.

There is nothing impressive about your kneejerk reactions.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
He should respect the legal systems of other countries normally, yes.

But when an Australian citizen is being so obviously treated unfairly, intervention is nessacary.

Maybe i should plant some drugs into an indonesians baggage, and have security find it.
Actually in that case I WOULD BE FOUND OUT AND JAILED.
Due to the fact that OUR legal system dose not ignore evidence
and does not convict when there is any reasonable doubt.

Which yours so obviously does.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We help indonesia in its time of need, 9 of our people die helping your people after disaster and one of our citizens cant even get a fair trial, next time we should let your people die then hey?.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Wow, I just want to say wow at how our Southern neighbours have reacted to this case. Disgraceful is a very light word.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Case For Corby

1. The drugs being in her bag is no where near suitable to be used as evidence to convict

2. The drugs being more expensive to buy here and sell there yields a loss so there is no purpose to smuggle it in

3. Her defence theory was completley plauseable and likely what occured the federal police are investigating the drug smuggling ring in the airports which is proven to exist, also I should mention ford was later stabbed in jail after he testified to what he heard.

4. 4kg isn't a large weight and would you or anyone else REALLY remember the exact weight of any of their luggage

5. The bali officials declined to have the drugs tested to find out their source or any other relevant information

6. They failed to record the search

7. They failed to test for finger prints on the bag containing the drugs

8. The police claim corby conffessed to them, which corby denies ever happend. (and who the hell WOULD conffess guilty OR innocent).

In short your prosocutions evidence was a joke, it was based on nothing more than the drugs were in her bag, circumstancial at best. In any fair court she would have been on her way back home by now. What material do they have in your law schools over there? "law for dummies"

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
1) She was caught with the marijuana by custom officials
2) The marijuna she was caught with is 50% more expensive than the marijuana readily available on the Bali street
3) Her defense is from a convicted felon based on hearsay. The fact that Ford was allowed to testify is unheard of. When asked who the person was that said Corby was innocent, he refused to name names.
4) She did not noticed the hike in weight nor was she able to prove there was different weights between Australia and Indonesia
5) None of the theory as sworn evidence. It cannot be tested in the courts. Hence, the court disregard those theories.
1) Her bag had Marijuana in it apon arrival in Bali. <- That is the proper wording, get it strait
2) This only goes to show that whoever put it in the bag had reason
3) Her defence seems as such because the onus of proof in the indonesian system is on her. This is the wrong way around. She did not know how it got there, how is she meant to prove anything when all the crucial evidence is not allowed?
4) Yes im sure the first thing on her mind was "Oh crap and extra 4.1 kilograms of weight in my bag, drugs must have been planted!. She was on a holiday for christs sake, she was enjoying herself
5) This is stupid. Plain stupid. The case so damn obviously had cause for a HELL OF ALOT of reasonable doubt as to whether she did it. The evidence was nowhere near enough to put her away.

None of this even touches apon the judges obvious bias and dislike for her.

·
there's no free lunch
2,616 Posts
Too bad to see how Australian has been blinded by their media who stirred public. For this they really make the case out of it. A sensational one.
On CNN, a reporter from --if I'm not mistaken-- The Tribune (perhaps one of Australian major media) emphasized they will boycott tourism to Bali. Well, even they threat to deploy their troops here in our country, we should do what we think we have to do. And we have done it. Let the court decide.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
Too bad you have been blinded by your own nationalism and your own media coverage.

or maybe you honestly view that case (and your whole system) as fair. In which case i would hope that you have nothing to do with our country ever again.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Malt said:
Too bad you have been blinded by your own nationalism and your own media coverage.

or maybe you honestly view that case (and your whole system) as fair. In which case i would hope that you have nothing to do with our country ever again.
Hey, at least we don't deport our own citizens or lie about throwing babies overboard.

·
there's no free lunch
2,616 Posts
Malt said:
Nationalism? What nationalism. It's about someone smuggling drug into our country.

Malt said:
we can live without your country.... really.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
Nationalism in that you are unable to accept/acknowledge a flaw in your justice system due to your blinding pride.

And that second comment is an amazing lie.
The amount of aide our country has supplied to you is alot.
500 million dollars, just because were nice. And an interst free 500mil loan.
And payment of 9 lives lost, helping none other than your fellow countrymen and women.
And the costs involved in sending people over to help.

I am all for this (well was) until it becomes obvious that your legal system is unable to give one of us a fair trial.

This is NOT about 'someone smuggling drugs into the country'
I agree, SOME australian tried to smuggle drugs to your country. Do i agree with this? No

but do i agree with your legal system fixing the outcome of a trial, just so they can put a face on it, NO.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts