SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another boutique development that deserves a personal thread. Looks like work may be gearing up to commence demolition/construction. Site as of 24 Jan 2018:

Early works have started at our @WarpandWeftNQ development in the #NorthernQuarter #Manchester

Warp & Weft | Northern Quarter
Residential | City Zone

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=139968420

• Address: 42-50 Thomas St, 7 Kelvin St, Northern Quarter, City Zone Manchester M4

• Architect: 5Plus

• Floors: 5

• Number of apartments: 20; 8 one-bed and 12 two-bed apartments

• Commercial Space: 7,800 sq ft of commercial space across basement and ground floor

• Consultant: Arcadis

• Developers: Real Estate Group

Current status

Planning application submitted

Nearest transport:

A planning application has been submitted for Warp & Weft. It can be viewed here.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gutted to find this still stagnant.

Next door still standing, with business as usual (plenty of customers) in Al Faisal.

I then noticed Al Faisal had opened a new premises across the street. I now there has been some online whinging about the NQ losing "Manchester's finest restaurant". Well now they aren't.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I found out some info about Warp & Weft at the consultation on Thursday.

The guys have hit a snag. The NQ forum or a group similar pushed English Heritage to list part of the building they were going to demolish....and they have. So instead of having a new build which would have brought life to the area we now have a part demolished building which looks shite, thanks to the 'friends of groups'.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts

The guys have hit a snag. The NQ forum or a group similar pushed English Heritage to list part of the building they were going to demolish....and they have. So instead of having a new build which would have brought life to the area we now have a part demolished building which looks shite, thanks to the 'friends of groups'.
I'm all for people participating in architectural debate and value (or not) of developments. But there has to be a line drawn in the sand when it comes to NIMBYISM or those who think they are defending buildings when they actually can't see the wood for the trees and are in fact stifling progress.

Here, we have a modest yet demure 3 storey development which respects the surrounding streetscape with decorative brickwork and incorporates an engaging palette of materials. It is not a 6 storey apartment block that is not in scale with the context. Nor is it a cost engineered job from a developer which wants to make a quick buck.

Now we are left with a hole in the ground and an eyesore down the main thoroughfare of the Northern Quarter. The Council, English Heritage and local protest group(s) (whoever they are) should be embarrassed. Enough people from Manchester read this forum and can make their own minds up.

Frustrating stuff. :bash:

·
Registered
612 Posts

Which one of those buildings could possibly warrant a listing, the jewellers?
There's nothing the slightest unique about the rest of them that I can see and they've looked as ropey as Hell for decades.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
1 - 20 of 212 Posts