SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 264 Posts

·
Boosting DC's image
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Washington DC Projects & Construction

DC at Dusk by keviikev, on Flickr

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Constitution Square in Washington, DC is a 2.5 million square foot (232,258 sq meter) mixed-used development containing multiple office buildings, over 1,000 apartments, a hotel, and retail space. It is located in central DC in the rapidly redeveloping NoMA neighbourhood. The first phase of this project delivers in 1Q 2010. The first residential units should be available in 3Q 2010.

This is one of DC's single largest projects.

Courtesy: Stonebridge Carras

Courtesy: LHB Communications

Check out this video of the development
http://www.constitutionsquaredc.com/

·
Bark twice if in Milwauke
487 Posts
Hirshhorn Museum to be enlivened with temporary structure

by: Sharon McHugh
12/23/2009
World Architecture News

Who said you can’t wake up the dead? The Hirshhorn Museum, once described by the New York Times “as a fortress of a building that works as a museum”, is about to get a stunning new makeover that will dramatically alter its appearance. Conceived by the ever thoughtful New York architects Diller Scofidio + Renfro, the proposed addition consists of an inflatable structure in the form of a blue bubble that oozes of the museum’s top and side allowing it to expand on a seasonal basis.

Under the current design, the larger bubble will rise 145 feet through the building’s top enclosing a four-storey courtyard below. To be visible from all sides of the museum and at points along Washington’s historic National Mall, it will house an auditorium with up to 1,000 seats for new media offerings. From the interior, visitors will be able to view people in the galleries above through transparent areas provided in the fabric structure. The smaller bubble, located to the side, will house a public lounge with a café overlooking the mall.

The project, which is estimated to cost $5 million, is in the early conceptual stage. The museum is hopeful to open the pavilion in May 2011. However, if approvals by the Fine Arts Commission and the National Capital Planning Commission are needed, it could delay the project by a couple of years.

Not exactly a new project, but a very noteworthy and interesting temporary project. I would definitely take the train ride down to DC to see this.

It is also good to have a City/Metro thread on the US Capital here.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hirshhorn Museum to be enlivened with temporary structure

by: Sharon McHugh
12/23/2009
World Architecture News

Who said you can’t wake up the dead? The Hirshhorn Museum, once described by the New York Times “as a fortress of a building that works as a museum”, is about to get a stunning new makeover that will dramatically alter its appearance. Conceived by the ever thoughtful New York architects Diller Scofidio + Renfro, the proposed addition consists of an inflatable structure in the form of a blue bubble that oozes of the museum’s top and side allowing it to expand on a seasonal basis.

Under the current design, the larger bubble will rise 145 feet through the building’s top enclosing a four-storey courtyard below. To be visible from all sides of the museum and at points along Washington’s historic National Mall, it will house an auditorium with up to 1,000 seats for new media offerings. From the interior, visitors will be able to view people in the galleries above through transparent areas provided in the fabric structure. The smaller bubble, located to the side, will house a public lounge with a café overlooking the mall.

The project, which is estimated to cost $5 million, is in the early conceptual stage. The museum is hopeful to open the pavilion in May 2011. However, if approvals by the Fine Arts Commission and the National Capital Planning Commission are needed, it could delay the project by a couple of years.

If this ginormous blob is dynamic and changes shape at different times of the day and will be lit at night- it will be gimazing. Don't mind going back there just to see this.

·
VA is for LOVERS!
716 Posts
I figured I'd add some updates since DC seems to get no love..lol.

200 H Street

15 K Street

Redevelopment of a West End property

The Arts at 5th and Eye

Parcel 42, mixed use, affordable housing

1015 Half St.

Yale Steam Laundry West, 200 units residential

Addison Square, 250+ units residential, 15,000 sq ft retail

NYU DC Campus

CityCenter development

1638 14th Street Condos

Howard Town Center

1100 South Capitol

1000 Connecticut Ave.

Living Classrooms

BTW, credit for the rendering goes to dcmetrocentric

Of course that was just a quick, bare-bone run through. I'll try to update this post with details and more info.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Any news on the planned light rail network? Has it been affected by the poor economy? I've heard about other light rail networks in the US having their future plans curtailed or shelved for the time being.

·
VA is for LOVERS!
716 Posts
Any news on the planned light rail network? Has it been affected by the poor economy? I've heard about other light rail networks in the US having their future plans curtailed or shelved for the time being.
These are streetcar tracks being installed on H Street in NE DC.

I'm not sure if thats what you were referring to or not.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
WASHINGTON, DC | Projects & Construction

Since there seems to be no DC love or development overview threads, thought I'd start one up.

First up, 601 Massachusetts Avenue NW in the burgeoning Mount Vernon Triangle neighbourhood northeast of Downtown.

601 Massachusetts Avenue NW
Space use: Office
Owner/developer: Boston Properties
Size: 478,000 s.f.
Floors: 11
Anchor tenant: Arnold & Porter
Website: http://www.bostonproperties.com/properties/washington-dc/ahNzfmJvc3RvbnByb3BlcnRpZXMycgwLEgRQYWdlGNmLBAw/601-massachusetts-avenue,-nw

601 Mass by pjryan92, on Flickr

Untitled by pjryan92, on Flickr

·
Illuminati Leader
4,627 Posts
Thanks for contributing! I agree that DC is very underserved here at SSC. There's so many projects yet so little info. It's frustrating.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Only two blocks north of the White House, 900 16th is among the best-located developments (and sites) in the District. Mostly leased out, but it's a small corner lot and around a third the size of a normal DC office building. Took these on my way to work:

900 16th Street NW
Owner/developer: ICG/JBG
Size: 135,000 s.f.
Floors: 9
Anchor tenant: Miller & Chevalier

Renders (from JBG's site):

Actual progress:

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Rainy day, so I went to Tysons Corner to shop (and catch up on some of the high-rise development out there).

Capital One Tower (new HQ)
Developer:
Size:
Height: 470 feet

Render:

Progress (taken from the Metro, sorry for poor photo quality):

Vita
Space use: Residential
Developer: Lerner
Height: 350 feet
Floors: 30

From left to right:

• 1775 Tysons Boulevard (office, 18 floors, Lerner)
  • Nouvelle (residential, 27 floors, Hanover)
  • 7900 Westpark Drive (office, 11 floors, WRIT)

1 - 20 of 264 Posts