SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Do you think America's capital need to drop the height restrictions?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Everything Texas
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do you think that Washington D.C .... Americas capitol deserves a good skyline or do you still wish for the capital building to be the dominant building in USA's capital?
- Ofcourse I say yes because I am skyscraper bias....Also Think about london without the Loyds building and the Gherkin building London would look far different

Washington-- Apart from the Monuments theres nothing else really to it so it need to have some more skyline!

London--

.........See what I mean?

·
Twinkie
746 Posts
DC was designed and built specifically to be America's capitol. Skyscrapers would ruin it. It's just not the place for it. Maybe they can build a La Defense type area far away from city center and build up...

·
Futurist
60,910 Posts
I think it's better without. In fact, you could say it's an achievement for Washington NOT to have them, when virtually every other American city has built them in abundance. Anyway, Washington already has some amazing, world famous landmarks that beautify the city and define its image - it simply doesn't need a load of tall buildings. People associate skyscrapers with New York, Chicago, LA, etc. and that's where skyscrapers should stay.

·
Banned
581 Posts
D.C. doesnt need a huge skyline.

Take into account that London and Paris are like Washington AND NYC for their respective nations--the seat of government and the main financial/business centers. Aside from those two cities--the rest of the European capitols have pretty lowrise skylines. Berlin, Rome, Madrid, Amsterdam, Athens, Brussels, Lisbon, Vienna, etc. have really no skylines to speak of. Nor do places like Canberra, Brasilia, Ottawa, Mexico City, etc. Even Bejing (which is starting to form a decent skyline) was always put to shame by Shanghai, Hong Kong, and other Chinese cities.

·
C.B.P.
1,481 Posts
Nor do places like Canberra, Brasilia, Ottawa, Mexico City, etc.
Mexico City is full of tall buildings starting back in the 50's. The tallest is 755 feet tall, and there would be taller by now if it weren't financially restrictive to build taller in an earthquake zone on top of a soggy lake-bed.

·
Banned
581 Posts
Mexico City is full of tall buildings starting back in the 50's. The tallest is 755 feet tall, and there would be taller by now if it weren't financially restrictive to build taller in an earthquake zone on top of a soggy lake-bed.
lets be honest....Mexico City does not have a great skyline.

·
Proud Torontonian
1,450 Posts
Our capital, Ottawa, has height restrictions specifically because of the parliament buildings. If taller structures were there, the parliament buildings would be hidden and they wouldn't be the centre of attention. Same goes for DC and the monument.

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
22,042 Posts
I would say no. DC has rather small boundries though and I would be up for building high just outside the city limits if there was the market for it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The difference between Washington and London is, London is a global city and the biggest, most dominant city in the UK if not Europe, both financially and culturally. DC is America's capital but it isn't it's financial powerhouse. I think it's a very unique thing about DC that the capital building is the tallest building, good that it has something about it and isn't just another city of steel and glass. Another thing with London is that none of the tall buildings are allowed to intrude on to landmarks such as the Tower of London and St Paul's Cathedral.

You bias is definitely evident when you say 'do you think Washington DC deserves a good skyline' implying that a skyline of interestingly shaped but low-rise buildings is inferior to one of standardised but high buildings

Without it's tall buildings London would still be recognisably London, it isn't a skyscraper city, only a few New World, and Asian cities have truly image defining tall buildings.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.