SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Washington, D.C., formally the District of Columbia and commonly referred to as Washington, "the District", or simply D.C., is the capital of the United States. On July 16, 1790, the United States Congress approved the creation of a capital district as permitted by the U.S. Constitution. The District is therefore not a part of any U.S. state.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington,_DC)

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Lincoln sitting in contemplation

I started my tour from the principal landmark of the city "Lincoln Memorial" the 16th President of the United States-the Great Emancipator and preserver of the nation during the Civil War
Congress approved the bill to construct this memorial in 1910. Construction began in 1914, and the memorial was opened to the public in 1922 (http://www.nps.gov/linc/index.htm)

This is the place where Martin Luther King, Jr. delivered his famous "I Have a Dream" speech in 1963 .

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The Washington Monument is the most prominent structure in Washington, D.C. The 555-foot, 5-1/8" marble obelisk honors the nation's founding father George Washington, who led the Continental Army to victory, and then became the nation's first president under the Constitution

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Three Soldiers (also known as The Three Servicemen) is a bronze statue, on the Washington, DC National Mall commemorating the Vietnam War

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The United States Capitol is the meeting place of the United States Congress, the legislature of the federal government of the United States.

In spring 1792, Thomas Jefferson proposed a design competition to solicit designs for the Capitol and the President's House, and set a four-month deadline. The prize for the competition was $500 and a lot in the federal city. At least ten individuals submitted designs for the Capitol; however the drawings were regarded as crude and amateurish, reflecting the level of architectural skill present in the United States at the time. The most promising of the submissions was by Stephen Hallet, a trained French architect. However, Hallet's designs were overly fancy, with too much French influence, and were deemed too costly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Capitol)

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
White House is Located at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, D.C., the White House is the official residence and office of the president of the United States

I was not impressed by the size of the White House. Kind of small from the first look

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Small manmade waterfalls located in the memorial.
Running water is an important physical and metaphoric component of the memorial. Each of the four "rooms" representing Roosevelt's respective terms in office contains a waterfall. As one moves from room to room, the waterfalls become larger and more complex, reflecting the increasing complexity of a presidency marked by the vast upheavals of economic depression and world war.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_Delano_Roosevelt_Memorial)

·
Banned
858 Posts
Interesting tour... The population of Washington is approximately 1 000 000 inhabitants from Monday to Friday... In Saturday and Sunday Washington has nearly 600 000 people. This situation due to migration of population from suburb to the city for a job. I read it in russian wikipedia.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting tour... The population of Washington is approximately 1 000 000 inhabitants from Monday to Friday... In Saturday and Sunday Washington has nearly 600 000 people. This situation due to migration of population from suburb to the city for a job. I read it in russian wikipedia.
Vita

Washington DC is the second most visited city in the United States (after New York) and is among the top travel destinations in the world and I was not surprised a bit when I saw so many people from different countries. There are so many things to see with its impressive monuments and museums, its stately government buildings and mansions. One Million inhabitants is very possible

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The city's addressing system is best understood in terms of a Cartesian coordinate system with its origin at the Capitol. While the system may appear complex, once learned it allows one to pinpoint not only where one is but also where and how far one may need to travel. For example, if one needed to find 633 A Street SE, the address informs that the address is southeast of the Capitol, with A Street one block south of East Capitol Street, and that the location on that street is on the 600 block, which is between 6th Street and 7th Street SE.
Another example is the White House, located at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, is located at 16th Street NW (Lafayette Square) and Pennsylvania Avenue NW. This works both ways; an address at 514 19th St NW would be on 19th St west of the Capitol, and since E is the fifth letter of the alphabet, the 514 address would be between E and F Streets NW. Because J is omitted from the scheme, it is not counted in numbering. Thus, the 900 block is in-between I and K Streets, while the block from K to L is numbered in the 1000s (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streets_and_highways_of_Washington,_D.C)

So, my hotel was on Street "M" 1400 Next to this old Church

·
Banned
858 Posts
Vita

Washington DC is the second most visited city in the United States (after New York) and is among the top travel destinations in the world and I was not surprised a bit when I saw so many people from different countries. There are so many things to see with its impressive monuments and museums, its stately government buildings and mansions. One Million inhabitants is very possible
I have no any questions about majesty of american architecture. I know that many cities in USA are very visited by millions people from the world-wide. But Washington has million inhabitants throughout weekdays even without taking into account tourists...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts