Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Lovely proposal for Waterford. The city could really do with a bit of bolstering.Very nice part of the country, but like so many Irish Urban areas, the river and waterways are completely underutilised,.

Hopefully this goes someway toward solving that problem for Waterford.

I think a wise policy for Waterford City would be to use such schemes to become a Mecca for Southeast tourism, including for County Wexford in particular.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Looks impressive but are those images of the actual project or just concepts? The architects website shows other concepts like an underground section at Kilkenny Castle and glazing over the courtyards at the Four Courts which are not related to real projects.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Imo the most promising aspect of this project is relocating the existing train station to be more central in the redevelopment. If Waterford develops and grows strongly in the next decade and becomes a bona fide city, perhaps it can justify some proper rail services. We can't be expecting cars to service all growth going forward.

We in this country have been missing a trick with regards to our train stations which are often quite isolated. Hopefully Galway's train station will be central to urban redevelopment in the near future.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
thanks for your comments and positive feedback

The Proposal is from early 2016. It was conceived as a Proactive Design Proposal. A sort of Entrepreneurial approach if you will, where an Architect illustrates what they believe is the Optimal outcome for a Site.

The intention was for a Grade A Office Building comparable in terms of Finishes and Specification with other landmark Office Buildings currently being realised in Dublin / Cork Docklands.

I conceived the idea in Dec 2015. I was overseas at the time. The Interior CGIs were well advanced in early 2016. I became aware that W.C.C. issued a call for Public submissions on the future of the North Quays around the same time so, I decided why not go beyond a written submission and submit these CGIs with some exterior sketches. The exterior CGIs are from a later date in 2017.

Since then, news emerged in March 2017 that a major Saudi Developer has expressed interest in purchasing and developing the Site.
The Developers were introduced to Waterford City Council by a local Architectural Firm who made previous proposals for the North Quays, along with other ventures and initiatives which contributed to investment in Waterford City. I understand that plans are in progress for the Site which include a Transport / Retail Hub. Lets see what emerges. the City could do with a fresh injection of capital and a little long overdue prosperity.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts

·
39,245 Posts
Design team and commercial agents appointed to progress this project;

https://www.waterfordlive.ie/news/home/374805/advisers-assigned-as-waterford-s-north-quay-development-takes-shape.html

The article also contains another image which looks quite different from those posted above.

Apparently the Arab funders were in town recently for a look around. Hopefully the project will progress quickly as it will be a huge boost to Waterford if it comes to fruition.
It would be great, it looks promising. But I'll believe in it when I see cranes on site, not just diggers, cranes ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Proactive Office Development Proposition done at my own risk and expense from Early 2016 for Frank Cassin Wharf area of the Nth Quays. Still available if a Developer sees Value in it

Long Office Building Version

Interior Perspective

Long Office Building in Indicative Context w/ historic Maratime themed exibits

Interior of Hybrid version

Office Buildings - shortened version

Viking Hall Interior version

·
Registered
60 Posts

Probably better to put this here as the other north quays thread was related specifically to the Falcon development.

Things are still moving ahead on the €110m infrastructure investment required to make the site much more attractive for development. This includes the sustainable transport bridge and the moving of the train station to the north quays. A few hints about contacts with potential developers for the site but nothing concrete yet.

On a related note, the extention of the Waterford greenway from the outskirts at Bilberry into the city centre has commenced. It will come right up to the new bridge and will meet the New Ross greenway (also under construction) at the north quays.

Even if commercial development of the site is delayed, the continuing elements will have a huge potential in terms of tourism and opening up the Ferrybank suburb which is currently an unpleasent trek on foot into town.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Great that they are pushing ahead with the infrastructure works. A new modern train/bus station, the new bridge and the connection between the two Greenways will be great assets for Waterford, regardless of what happens to the North Quays (which I don't hold much hope of being developed any time soon tbh).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah you'd wonder about the timeline for commercial development on the north quays site. It will probably develop piecemeal without a major office/state prelet. Once the bridge and train station are under construction though it should give a bigger incentive to developers. The council have said that the huge retail element in the original proposals won't go ahead and want to consolidate the retail on the south quays which makes sense.

They are pushing to get the Michael street scheme off the ground first, which probably should have been the plan at the start. Linking it with the North Quays meant it was a casualty of Falcons dealys.

Unfortunately the timeline has been pushed out, but with the infrastructure in place I'm confident it will see substantial development in the medium term. The difference now is that €110m of state funds are being invested to make it viable which wasn't the case previously. It is also a SDZ which removes planning uncertainty.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree that the amount of parking is a real blight on the south quays. The problem is that most of it privately owned and would be expensive for the council to remove it. It is a result of decades long car dependent issues.

Long term it would be great to have tree line public space to really open up the river. At least a start is being made beacuse the new bridge will include a plaza at the clock tower to the left of the picture, which will remove a lot of the parking spaces.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts