SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Coming soon...

Urban Reawakening

As a city runs out of development land on its outskirts, and as technology, university, healthcare, and commercial development picks up, urbanization is becoming the new thing.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
I have used your pictures before, as you know, but I look forward to seeing this!

-thryve

·
Banned
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope you enjoy these photos for what they are... I will add them in stages, and I am far too busy to upload them all right now in one post, but please enjoy them- and, look closely at each to find the purpose within each photo....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Banned
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Urban Reawakening

As a city runs out of development land on its outskirts, and as technology, university, healthcare, and commercial development picks up, urbanization is becoming the new thing. In this Canadian technology centre, and one of the world's Top 7 Intellegent Communities, Waterloo, grows, it is returning to its urban roots with ideas such as Light Rail Transit, while it looks to new ideas, like large, denser developments. The excitement is growing... please enjoy while it is shared through this thread.

The attractive Uptown core is inhabited by numerous different types of uses:

During certain hours, it can become quite busy:

New businesses are coming to town:

Office development is finally returning to the core:

Cafes and shopping:

The Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics is one of the milestones
marking our city's growing technology and science/education sectors:

It may not be screaming out "look at me!" but the buildings seen below are pieces of Waterloo history, hosts to important events, and homes of prominent organizations:

More to come...

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
A picture of a parking lot and the caption 'busy'. Make's you put suburban megamalls into a different perspective.

Not really what I was expecting with a city of 400,000? :dunno: But I guess it's better than Hamilton...

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Vid, the parking lot you mention is being turned into a public square for the city's 150th anniversary... that's no suburban mall, either. :D The photo doesn't properly show that the sidewalks become quite busy themselves- some days at noon or so there are alot of folks shopping and leaving the office for lunch, then in the evenings the movie theatres and restaurants fill up. Oh man, what a great city!

-thryve

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
You know, at least I'm big enough to admit my city isn't as great as it hypes itself to be.

Actually the city is more pessimistic than I am.

but come on. Waterloo! Come on.

Thunder Bay already has public squares! We have busy sidewalks, we have folks the leave their offices at noon to go to lunch, we have stores downtown and in the evenings, lo and behold, movie cinemas and restaurants fill up! Wow! All that, in a city?!?!?!

·
Banned
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
vid said:
You know, at least I'm big enough to admit my city isn't as great as it hypes itself to be.

Actually the city is more pessimistic than I am.

but come on. Waterloo! Come on.

Thunder Bay already has public squares! We have busy sidewalks, we have folks the leave their offices at noon to go to lunch, we have stores downtown and in the evenings, lo and behold, movie cinemas and restaurants fill up! Wow! All that, in a city?!?!?!
Way to bring negativity into this thread. Obviously you aren't too happy with your own city if you have to insult Waterloo.

It IS an exciting city, so no, I won't downgrade what my city makes itself out to be- I find it to be exciting, and that's a personal thing. Thryve and Waterloo Guy seem to find it to be an exciting time in the city as well.

Cut the crap and just enjoy the photos as the thread was intended for or... leave.

And by the way, Thunder Bay isn't exactly known for being lively itself. It also, however, isn't known for being a technology centre, and one of the world's top 7 intellegent communities with the other 6 being world cities. As well, Thunder Bay would never get LRT. Oh-- and another mistake on your part- Waterloo already has numerous public squares. Numerous.

Anyways, I sank to a low to insult your city like that, but now we're even :D

P.S.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
'It also, however, isn't known for being a technology centre'

We have one of the most technologically advanced buildings in the province, and out of Northern Ontario, we are quite well known for technology and medical fields. :p

But of course, being bigger, Waterloo is much better. I'm ever so sorry. :)

How about some pictures of your city's parks and active street life?

·
You Suck and That's Sad
300 Posts
^ lol, so would I, no offence Vid. But then again, both choices aren't exactly stellar!

It would do K-W A LOT of good if we could get new summertime pics of both Uptown Waterloo and Downtown Kitchener, hopefully with some Laurier honeys (honeies?) walking around. :naughty: That, over this wet and dreary, sometimes snowy deserted street stuff. Can't you guys wait a month or two when it's nicer out to post a definative K-W phototour thread?

·
Registered
381 Posts
vid said:
A picture of a parking lot and the caption 'busy'. Make's you put suburban megamalls into a different perspective.

Not really what I was expecting with a city of 400,000? :dunno: But I guess it's better than Hamilton...
Waterloo's population is actually quite similar to Thunder Bay's, approximately 110 000. Two key differences are that Waterloo is part of a CMA (Kitchener) whose population is approaching half a million and that Waterloo's population isn't shrinking. Also, if you think that these developments aren't impressive then you should have seen what was there before... (although Liquidation World will forever hold a special place in my heart)

I love visiting Thunder Bay and have done so many times, but I'd rather live in Waterloo (or even better, in Kitchener! But maybe I'm biased :) ). I'll admit that nothing in Waterloo can compare to the view that you can get of Lake Superior from Hillcrest Park. You also can't get persians in Waterloo.... I think I might need to make another trip up north to restock!

I'll work on getting some pictures of downtown Kitchener when things aren't so gloomy outside.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
'I think I might need to make another trip up north to restock!'

You know, once you leave the city with them, it's just a cinnamon bun with *censored-thou shalt not givith the icing flavour* icing on it. :) But you can call it what you want.

We can shag, too! :D

How about some pictures of things around the city that aren't so flattering? :p I've got a few pictures of piles of litter along our highways, and they turned out pretty good! :happy:

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Tony said:
^ lol, so would I, no offence Vid. But then again, both choices aren't exactly stellar!

It would do K-W A LOT of good if we could get new summertime pics of both Uptown Waterloo and Downtown Kitchener, hopefully with some Laurier honeys (honeies?) walking around. :naughty: That, over this wet and dreary, sometimes snowy deserted street stuff. Can't you guys wait a month or two when it's nicer out to post a definative K-W phototour thread?
Well there's a given... I'll definitely be doing a few this summer.

·
I See Skyscrapers
2,083 Posts
I'm not sure why KW threads tend to become sensless attacks on the Region, but it's something I'm learning to deal with.

As for a photo tour, I'm thinking of doing one myself if I can find the time.

BTW, Thryve, I was at the Waterloo Town Square the other day and noticed a store named after you--were you aware of this?

·
Banned
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
ill be gettin some more photos this summer too

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Well, Waterloo Guy, I used to insult our city all the time, but I mean, that does nothing, and now I really love it... I've just actually taken lots of time to hang out Uptown and around the city, and learned to appreciate it... most people don't even know what they are talking about because they don't take the time to enjoy those little spaces or details that everyone else misses.

Anyways, I saw the name Thryve long ago and named my profile after it... it's just a really modern-looking word, and I thought it suits me.

-thryve

1 - 20 of 36 Posts