SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 608 Posts

·
Futurist
38,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT, 23/4/2008: See post #290 for several new renderings.

-------------------------------------------------

Below is a new rendering of Watermark Place:-

"Resolution to grant planning consent has recently been achieved for Watermark Place, a new landmark office building to be developed in partnership with UBS Global Asset Management.

Watermark Place at 90 Upper Thames Street will provide 539,000 sq ft net of new offices and A3 space and has typical floorplates of 34,000-56,000 sq ft net. The building will provide the largest public riverside space in the City enlivened with Cafés and a new Bar/Restaurant.

Vacant possession of the site will be achieved in July 2006. A pre-letting of a substantial part is being sought through joint letting agents Knight Frank and CBRE."

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
great water front building with the wood detailing and roof top garden but then it ruins it all with that block behind it....

·
BLAND
8,868 Posts
No I am sorry.....I am sure I am amonst those who relish modernity , Glass and steel etc, but I just do not think this is right for the proposed site.

I would have preferred something in stone and traditional windows, architraves and arches....this is just not right...in front of St Pauls...its a fab building, but here it is just another bombsite infill!

·
BLAND
8,868 Posts
Soemthing like this perhaps

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
Still too tall! I suppose in the proposal the horizontal massing should be broken up more to make it appear to be a series of buildigns with a vertical emphasis, these are simple tools that architects can employ but just dont seem to bother. I suppose the wood-esque bits here are meant to have that effect but its not obvious enough.

That block behind though is just a disaster and will merely solidify the errors that have formed along this stretch of the river over the past 40 years.

·
BLAND
8,868 Posts
I agree its still to tall, but the architect would have been given a fottage requirement..as always..money money money

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
I saw these great natural light and air vent flumes in the eco section of the building err building with the new london architecture exhibit. Perhaps some massing could be put below ground level with maybe an aquarium window out into the Thames (water level isnt always that high)

·
Against ID Cards
9,799 Posts
Looks like more bland glass crap. Nothing too special but then again the render is quite small.

·
BLAND
8,868 Posts
Nice idea, but not here. The Thames sewer storage system runs undeath the bank there...Bazaljette engineering (not to mention the District and Circle lines a little further back)

·
Divemaster!
6,699 Posts
Has the world run outa stone or something??? What's with all the glass and steel on evvvvvery project?? yes I know it's cheaper, quicker and more efficient, but so what??

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
hmm, bland indeed. but not entirely bad, opens up the river frontage, steps backwards and the glass will be a more sympathetic style reflecting the light of the river.

hmmm, did i just write that. Yes, lots of glass, but aside from More London glass isn't that prevalent along the riverside. Give it some credit, i think it deserves it. Just a little.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
jimbo said:
hmm, bland indeed. but not entirely bad, opens up the river frontage, steps backwards and the glass will be a more sympathetic style reflecting the light of the river.

hmmm, did i just write that. Yes, lots of glass, but aside from More London glass isn't that prevalent along the riverside. Give it some credit, i think it deserves it. Just a little.
I was thinking it was like More London. I suppose we'll have to see it in the flesh to really comment, but I suppose thats the same with all proposals.

·
Registered
11,859 Posts
A lot of you bang on about all this glass & steel & how it should be stone etc but most of the bad buildings built in the 80's (i.e the toy town city of london school next to the millenium was made out of stone). Also most of the newer stone buildings in the city are just poorly detailed copies of victorian buildings.

Modern offices need large glass windows to let in light etc & thats what tenants demand & want. This development replaces IMO a overly dominering building on the thames with a collection of smaller buildings along the frontage with a larger taller building steeped back from the river front. Remember Cannon St is higher up than the river front so although the northern building looks taller from the river the height at the northern edge is in line with buildings on Cannon St

·
BLAND
8,868 Posts
Thats true, but look at the river frontage at Richmond. Replica stone buildings (yes they are replica, but have all the modern facilities you would expect for business) and are so fantastic!

Normally I am not one for reproduction, but when it comes to the historical waterfrontage of this part of the Thames, I think it is appropriate. The south side is mostly modern and glass, so there is the compromise : )

·
Registered
11,859 Posts
Yes but isn't Richmond all one development- The city is unfortunately many many plots of land owned by lots of developers.

It would be interesting to see this & is neighbour in a pic as that has pp as well ( another glass foggo designed building)- I saw a tiny rendering on AJ plus a while back but is was too small to form an opinion.

·
BLAND
8,868 Posts
I think so...yes it was all built at the same time (and presumably all the same developer), but gives the illusion of many separate developments over time.

I agree this is just a small site, but it could be the start of something.

I think there is a place for reproduction if it has a purpose.

I just added this edit..dont get me wrong! its only directly around St.pauls and along the north bank frontage where I would accept reproduction or less intrusive modern, so that we can see St pausl from those angles that summon up its past and history.

1 - 20 of 608 Posts