SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have found this atricle wich u might like:

The Dutch architecture students Menno Ekkelboom, Johan Hanegraaf, Roy Vlug and Frank van Leersum have designed a skyscraper floating in the water. This was their entry to the international eVolo Skyscraper competition 2009. Here’s how.

The world population is growing. As of January 2009, the world’s population is estimated to be about 6.7 billion people. According to population projections, this figure continues to grow. The world’s population, on its current growth trajectory, is expected to reach nearly 9 billion by the year 2042. The population density of the cities is going to increase more and more, which drives up the ground prices even more. In the future we will have to ask ourselves what we should do with the ground, whether we expand our cities even more or use the land for nature and agriculture.

Since two-thirds of the surface of our globe is covered with water, the solution is: build on water!

It seems like an impossible assignment to build a skyscraper at sea. However, at sea the huge dimensions of skyscrapers make them more stable and reliable than any other smaller building. The larger the building, the better its resistance against storms and a rough sea.

The waterscraper can be placed anywhere near land. A minimum floating depth of 300 meters is required.

At land the height of the skyscraper was purely to demonstrate the wealth and success of its owners. At sea we give height a new meaning. The sea is actually a perfect place to create an energy-friendly skyscraper. We will use the constant temperature of the seawater to warm up the building in cold days or to cool down the building in the summer. These systems already exist on land, but can be a lot more efficient and cheaper at sea. The generation of solar and wind energy will also be much more effective, the seawater can be used as one giant mirror, and the wind is much stronger at sea. Energy will be the key factor in the near future.

Human scale
We wanted to create a skyscraper which is in balance with the environment, to express that we have created an organic form, somehow like the flower where the leaves fall over each other and grow towards the light.

Environmental awareness is very important. In today’s cities the human scale is lost with all those high buildings. That’s why we created an open space in this building. For example while standing in an apartment on one side you see the wide open ocean. That gives you the idea of where you are. Standing at the other side you can see a part of the building. You now know in what you are. The inner balconies are shielded from the wind by the leaf-formed extension of the building.

Technical details
The floating foundation will be a building itself. A concrete tube of about the same height as the part above the water will be divided into compartments. This will make it possible to build the entire foundation in a dry dock. When completed, the floater can be shipped to its new location. When arrived, the compartments at one side will be filled with water. This will make the floater sink to its necessary depth and rise to a vertical position.

To keep the skyscraper in place, 4 anchor cables connecting the floater with the bottom of the sea will be placed.

A floating skyscraper
Most people think that a building that floats will move up and down with the waves. They are wrong. The mass of the object determines whether it moves or not. Throw a wave of 5 meters at a cruise ship and a rowing boat. The latter will be greatly moved. The first barely notices the wave.

When we increase the mass of this example to that of an entire skyscraper (300 meters concrete foundation core with 300 meters steel structure on top) the object will need extremely high forces (waves) to even move it a bit.

Because of the high weight of the concrete floating core with its low centre of gravity the building always wants to stay upright. The steel top structure will be as light as possible to keep de centre of gravity very low.

Wind
Another precarious factor is the wind. The wind could make the entire tower to lean over, or so one would think.

The building is round, so most of the wind just passes around it.

When a constant strong wind occurs, the entire building wants to float in the direction the wind is blowing. The cables that anchor the building prevent this from happening. The anchor point on the sea bottom will act as a center of rotation. The rotation will be prevented by the water pressure on the opposite side of the concrete floater. The core wants to stay upright because of its strong buoyancy. Therefore tilt will be minimized when strong winds occur.

When a great storm passes by, the building will eventually tilt over a bit more than a skyscraper of the same height on land.

Green energy? Blue energy!
We cannot deny the fact that someday in the near future we are going to run out of natural resources like oil, gas, coal and plutonium (nuclear reactors). Global warming tells us we should adapt the way we live today. There is a lot of energy in the environment which is wasted or simply not used. The seas, for example, buffer the earth’s air temperature like huge energy batteries. It absorbs gigantic amounts of (sun) energy in the summer, and can deliver this energy during the winter to soften the temperatures.

This process can also be used to warm up or cool down a building. The floating skyscraper has a very deep floating foundation which can be used to pump up water from different depths. This water is pumped through a ‘heat exchange unit’ that is connected to the heating and cooling system.

In the winter the water can be pumped from about 10m depth, which would have a temperature of about 12° Celsius. This warmth can be used to pre-heat the water for the heating system. In the summer the water can be pumped from about 150 m depth; this water will have a temperature of about 5° Celsius. The water can also be pumped through the ‘heat exchange unit’, only this time it will cool the building down.

Transport
There are two ways of connecting with the shore.

- By ship: a regular ferry is an environmentally responsible solution.

- By bridge: using the same floating system as the building, a bridge can be made to give people the ability to reach the waterscraper by car or bus. The bridge parts will be flexibly connected by a roundabout. The core of the roundabout carries the bridge parts.

The real article is on this website:
http://aureon.nl/media/waterscraper/

·
5,837 Posts
second of all i looked over the new york forum for the same thread but i could not find it, but if it already exists a mod should delete this one.
[/IMG]

It didn't look like you were ready so I deleted it. I knew you would just repost and I was right so this one will do just fine now that you've got all your thread material prepared. Didn't have enough time to read the whole article so I just skimmed and I'm not too keen on the subject matter but it all seems kind of strange. Not liking the idea and I would imagine most World cities built in a location that could see a rise in the waters or are at risk will take the precautions needed to keep the city running efficiently.
We are an ingenuitive bunch AND I think we can come up with a way to survive (given the fact if what we've been told WILL INDEED happen like they say it will).
Still if its the Dutch coming up with the new ideas and ways to work on and around this issue than I would give them some credibility given their experience.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It didn't look like you were ready so I deleted it. I knew you would just repost and I was right so this one will do just fine now that you've got all your thread material prepared.
now i know where it went:D

it's okay. but the first thread was already posted when i found out i needed permission to post it(from the website who made it originally). so i had to change it until had gotten permission.

·
Registered
12,632 Posts
How long before some ship runs into it...then if this is built why just one.....then if lots are built....there goes the whole neigbourhood!

·
5,837 Posts
We would have to be more careful when traveling the harbor. Doubt anything like this will ever be approved and nimbys will probably claim the harbor as their neighborhood and sail out in rafts and paddle boats to have their mass protests.

·
15,838 Posts
This idea is great but the cost will be prohibitive. hence - nothing will come out of it.

·
Zurück in die Zukunft
21,994 Posts
This is still a skyscraper. A waterscraper would have to go below, with views of the ocean!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts