Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHen you think of it, big boats dont have much space in Miami. They can either go to the Miami Beach Marina or Bayside.
What you should do is to replace the bridge from the US Coast Guard Station and Miami Beach with a tunnel. Then you could do a marina of the whole western shore of South Beach and attract far more yachts, stuff like Volvo Ocean Race and perhaps arange a Americas Cup race.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
WHen you think of it, big boats dont have much space in Miami.
Yeah...now that you mention it, the only big boats I can think of are the THREE LARGEST CRUISE SHIPS IN THE WORLD!!!!!
Some of the largest super Panama cargo ships berth in Miami.....But other than that, only a couple of dozen mega yachts.
Let's build a tunnel or two when you think about it.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
Yeah...now that you mention it, the only big boats I can think of are the THREE LARGEST CRUISE SHIPS IN THE WORLD!!!!!
Some of the largest super Panama cargo ships berth in Miami.....But other than that, only a couple of dozen mega yachts.
You should post when you're drinking more often. :cheers:

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not talking about cruise ships, I'm talking about private yachts.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
I'm not talking about cruise ships, I'm talking about private yachts.
Oh...sorry. When you posted big boats, I thought you meant big boats. Like the largest boats in the world...you mean, sorta big boats.
As you said, the Miami Beach Marina is only big enough for a TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY FOOT YACHT.
And yes there is a plan to build a double decked private yacht terminal in Island Garden that will be able to berth 450+ Mega yachts so that those other 10 guys can stop by.
In your original post, you lamented that Miami Beach could attact "stuff like Volvo Ocean Race". As you may or may not know, the Volvo used to be called the Whitbread around the world race, and it stopped in Miami.
This year...the Volvo Ocean Race stops in...guess where....MIAMI!
Please don't let this knowledge discourge you from starting new threads, but really...knocking down a bridge and building a tunnel between Terminal Island and Miami Beach is a non-starter, when you think of it.
WHen you think of it, big boats dont have much space in Miami. They can either go to the Miami Beach Marina or Bayside.
What you should do is to replace the bridge from the US Coast Guard Station and Miami Beach with a tunnel. Then you could do a marina of the whole western shore of South Beach and attract far more yachts, stuff like Volvo Ocean Race and perhaps arange a Americas Cup race.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Miami could do a better job attracting big boats. The QM2 docks in P. Everglades, the Oasis class will also dock there instead of Miami, and Nimitz class boats make port in Broward not Dade. Miami had the chance to permanently park a Navy CV class boat downtown, that did not work out either.:lol:

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
The QM2 docks in P. Everglades, the Oasis class will also dock there instead of Miami, and Nimitz class boats make port in Broward not Dade.Miami had the chance to permanently park a Navy CV class boat downtown, that did not work out either.:lol:
Yeah...it has been the talk of the town. Everyone in Miami is totally sick about it. (for those in Miami Springs...that is sarcasm)
The proprietors of Smith & Wollensky's and Prime 112 are upset that the Elbow Room got all that Sailor on Shore leave business.

All we get is the Volvo and the largest cruise ships in the world. It was a nice treat to have the Volvo Ocean Race moved from Ft. Lauderdale TO Miami, and it is great that Miami still has it.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I don't consider the Volvo Ocean Race big boats, and soon the 1st and 3rd largest cruise ships in the world (R.C. Oasis class and Cunard QM2) will be at Everglades not Port of Miami.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh...sorry. When you posted big boats, I thought you meant big boats. Like the largest boats in the world...you mean, sorta big boats.
As you said, the Miami Beach Marina is only big enough for a TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY FOOT YACHT.
And yes there is a plan to build a double decked private yacht terminal in Island Garden that will be able to berth 450+ Mega yachts so that those other 10 guys can stop by.
Ten other boats? :) There are alot of superyachts (privately owned/chartered) around the world and especially in the caribbean. Oddly enough they choose Ft. Lauderdale as the main port in Florida. Perhaps because of more space?

Miami is the worlds biggest cruise ship hub. If it we're also the biggest yacht hub we would have ourselfs quite a nice little town with a bunch of job opportunities.
And opening of the bay would enable the Miami Beach Marina (which is way to small for it's potential) could streach all the way up to the Venetial Causeway. It would really benefit South Beach since the bayside would have as much appeal as the ocean front (though for different reasons).

In your original post, you lamented that Miami Beach could attact "stuff like Volvo Ocean Race". As you may or may not know, the Volvo used to be called the Whitbread around the world race, and it stopped in Miami.
This year...the Volvo Ocean Race stops in...guess where....MIAMI!
Please don't let this knowledge discourge you from starting new threads, but really...knocking down a bridge and building a tunnel between Terminal Island and Miami Beach is a non-starter, when you think of it.
Hmm, where do you get your info from? This years race is over and it stoped in Boston. Where it will stop the next time around will be disclosed in 2010.
http://www.volvooceanrace.org/ports/

So, no discouraging here, my friend. ;)

Btw, where did they dock during the withbread race back in 2002?

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Miami could do a better job attracting big boats. The QM2 docks in P. Everglades, the Oasis class will also dock there instead of Miami, and Nimitz class boats make port in Broward not Dade. Miami had the chance to permanently park a Navy CV class boat downtown, that did not work out either.:lol:
A shame about the Navy Ship, that would be a cool sight.

I'm not sure how to expand the Port of Miami; make Dodge Island bigger?

·
Banned
90 Posts
It would've been so cool to have the USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67) docked here in Miami..., like our own version of NYC's Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum..., only a much newer class of aircraft carrier & about 180ft longer !!! Oh, what a sight to see...,

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
Just a small reminder that what's good for Ft. Lauderdale is ALSO good for Miami, and vice-versa. I think sometimes we get caught up in a bit of a 'competitive' thing and forget that the metro area is a tri-county entity that is entirely interdependent on each other economically. When one part is doing well (or ailing), the rest follow suit.

We might also remember that although our focus here is Miami-centric (and rightfully so) the vast majority of people in the Miami MSA neither live or work in Miami---and never will. Yet, all are part of the same, intertwined economy...and by extension the same community. The county lines mean little aside from arbitrary political boundaries.

(now if only our little transit fiefdoms would recognize that!) :cheers:

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
I don't consider the Volvo Ocean Race big boats,
Neither do I, but the original poster does, and I was just keeping on topic without screaming off on tangents.
The original post suggest tearing down the bridge from terminal island to Miami Beach and building a tunnel instead so that more big boats could call Miami home. That remains a costly fix for a problem that doesn't exist.

You are correct, the 2008-09 stop wasn't Miami (it was an archived page announcing that Miami replaced the Ft. Lauderdale stop a few years ago.) , but in the past, the Bridge did not discourage the race from stopping in Miami. If the bridge were torn down, and a tunnel was built, it would have a negligible impact on Mega Yachts, and the idea of tunnelling, tearing down the bridge and assembling the public and private land (submerged or otherwise) would be next to impossible.

The 68 ft Ocean Racer that I sailed on had no problem with their Watson Island berth, but for services, we had to sail to Dania (Dennison Marina I think?). Government Cut is very deep as is the turning basin and the Island Marina sit can more than handle the demand of Mega Yachts, for now, the 250 footers will have to make do at MBM or like the 257' MadSummer does, find a nice place on the Miami River. Rather than tear down the main artery to Miami Beach and build a tunnel, developing the Island Gardens Mega Yacht marina is a much better choice.

The reason that there are not more mega yachts is that there are not as many services to accommodate them. This has been changing. The Miami River has been dredged recently and great strides to enhance and promote the marine industry on the Miami River is underway.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Roark: I'm well aware of the huge costs, but I still think in the long run it would be a good thing to do. Enhancing the entire of SoBe and opening up for bigger boats to the bayside homes would be really interesting.
And considering the new Bayfront Park-project, it could open for alot of large boat events.

Miami River seems great and all, but I don't know how it'll compare to Miami Beach... Well, well.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
Roark: I'm well aware of the huge costs, but I still think in the long run it would be a good thing to do. Enhancing the entire of SoBe and opening up for bigger boats to the bayside homes would be really interesting.
That's good...I'm not well aware, but would love to know. How much would it cost to tear down a bridge and build a tunnel?
But after you answer that question, your idea gets even more costly when you think about it.

I respectfully disagree with the notion of tearing down the Interstate 395 Bridge at terminal island and Miami Beach.

#1 It would be extremely expensive.
#2 It is a Federal Bridge and there is no incentive for the Feds to do this, nor is it their transportation priority.
#3 There already exists deep water for Mega Yachts that would not necessitate tearing down a bridge and building a tunnel.
#4 Even if the mega project were undertaken, you would then have to dredge the bay to make it deep enough to accommodate the drafts that you are suggesting to the places you are suggesting.
#5 Moving the underwater cables and utilities in the area that you suggest would be more prohibitive.
#6 Although you would suggest this idea enhances the "entire of South Beach", most would argue that it would not enhance the lives of the 87,000 taxpayers living in Miami Beach.

Just be cause it would be "real interesting" doesn't make it a good idea.
Apologies to all the people with 250 plus Mega yachts, I know you are out there, but for now, there are only a few places for you in Miami/Miami Beach.
Stay tuned though, a new marina will be built, and we won't even have to raise taxes to tear down a bridge and build a tunnel.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's good...I'm not well aware, but would love to know. How much would it cost to tear down a bridge and build a tunnel?
But after you answer that question, your idea gets even more costly when you think about it.

I respectfully disagree with the notion of tearing down the Interstate 395 Bridge at terminal island and Miami Beach.

#1 It would be extremely expensive.
#2 It is a Federal Bridge and there is no incentive for the Feds to do this, nor is it their transportation priority.
#3 There already exists deep water for Mega Yachts that would not necessitate tearing down a bridge and building a tunnel.
#4 Even if the mega project were undertaken, you would then have to dredge the bay to make it deep enough to accommodate the drafts that you are suggesting to the places you are suggesting.
#5 Moving the underwater cables and utilities in the area that you suggest would be more prohibitive.
#6 Although you would suggest this idea enhances the "entire of South Beach", most would argue that it would not enhance the lives of the 87,000 taxpayers living in Miami Beach.

Just be cause it would be "real interesting" doesn't make it a good idea.
Apologies to all the people with 250 plus Mega yachts, I know you are out there, but for now, there are only a few places for you in Miami/Miami Beach.
Stay tuned though, a new marina will be built, and we won't even have to raise taxes to tear down a bridge and build a tunnel.
I suppose you're right.
I declare myself defeated. :eek:kay:

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Why are you guys trying to steal our big boats from up here? J/K Fort Lauderdale, as most of you know,is known as the Venice of America. There is much more ocean going canals and yacht infrastructure here in Broward, which is why you see more here. You can literally go from Plantation (West Broward) to the Ocean with some pretty decent sized boats. I'm not sure if this can be done in Miami, maybe one of you guys can tell me.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
No, I don't think so. I don't think you can go from Plantation to the Ocean on a big boat through Miami.

I live right between the two ports so I actually have no bias either way. Being very close to Haulover though, I am hoping they dig a tunnel and get rid of the bridge and dredge the bay to allow all of the big boats into North Dade waters. Then we can become the cruise ship capital, have all of the ocean races, and compete with Hong Kong for container ship traffic.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
Why are you guys trying to steal our big boats from up here? J/K Fort Lauderdale, as most of you know,is known as the Venice of America. There is much more ocean going canals and yacht infrastructure here in Broward, which is why you see more here. You can literally go from Plantation (West Broward) to the Ocean with some pretty decent sized boats. I'm not sure if this can be done in Miami, maybe one of you guys can tell me.
No question about it, there is a much better yacht infrastructure in Ft. Lauderdale. It would take billions and billions of dollars to overtake FTL in that respect, which is why it doesn't happen.

Very large vessels can navigate government cut from the Ocean, through the Biscayne Bay, and recently (within the last year) all 6.1 miles of the Miami River. It is a new and significant development. Now boat yards like Jones', Merrill Stevens, and others are expanding rapidly, creating jobs, and better servicing mega yachts for their repair and modifications needs. Still not quite as accommodating as FTL but Miami's marine industry is making great strides.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts