SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 803 Posts

·
Administrator
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Gosh, nightmare come true :(

1. Why is it so big? To your surprise not everone is using 8k screen or 8000000dpi ipad. On standard desktop HD monitor the amount of wasted space is enormous. You're scrolling endlessly.
2. Any alternative eyesight friendly color schemes? 100% black/100% white is just suicidal.
3. It's slooooooooooow. Internet Explorer slow. Or slower. Constant logouts and more refreshing needed.
4. Until the baby problems be resolved, could we get the 'classic' option? Otherwise a foreseeable time frame of how long improvements will take.
The site is responsive, so it will adjust automatically for you from any device desktop to tablet to mobile.

I will pass on your feedback to the developers regarding color options.

The site should be starting to speed up, but Internet Explorer may have some issues.

Currently, the site is optimized for modern browsers that support display on devices ranging from desktop to tablet to mobile. Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge have some limitations across devices but we are working on finding ways to improve compatibility while maintaining as much of the function and design as possible. Are you able to try Google Chrome or Firefox as an alternative? I think you will find a much nicer experience on the site from one of the alternative browsers available.

If you are still getting logged out on another browser, please make sure you aren't blocking cookies that allow you to stay logged in.

This is a totally different platform, so the classic view is not an option.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The "show signature" sign bothers the hell out of me. I do actually support the feature as such, but the implementation is super annoying in my opinion.
The cool thing is that each of you can choose how signatures are displayed for you. You can select, no signatures, full signatures, or you can choose to click to see more.

Instructions on updating your preferences are in the tutorial below.

How To Create A Signature

Your signature can include up to 4 lines, a maximum of 1000 characters and one link. An image counts as a line. Anytime you hit "enter" on your keyboard, it will automatically go to a new line. Images will automatically be resized to 300 x 200 pixels. You can see more options in your settings to collapse signatures, always view full signature, or to not see signatures at all. The choice is yours.

Both guests and members can view signatures.

If a user has their preferences set to the default they will see collapsed signatures as in the example below for them. (They can click to see more.)

If a user has their preferences set to always show expanded signatures it will look like the example below for them. Your image can be clicked to view full size.

If you want to adjust your preferences for signatures you can click on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and select account settings.

In the left side navigation, you will see an option for preferences. Click it.

Scroll down to content options and select your signature preferences.

- Cricket

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
– Though the old theme had its quirks, it was far more readable. I'm really missing it. Or at least some color theme.
– Old smileys stopped working.
– Forum is very slow, but I understand it will get back to normal.

This is a totally different platform, so the classic view is not an option.
We don't mean old table-based layout. We mean colors and clean separators between posts (lack of them really hampers readability).

·
Administrator
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
But what I'm missing definitely most is User CP - the concept of allerts is total mess
Everything is under your avatar. :)

How To Find Account Settings & Preferences

From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on your avatar to open the drop-down menu and select “account settings”.

Once you have clicked on “account settings” a new page will open. You can browse through the left side column navigation for the specific settings you are looking for.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
can we get the old smilies back please?
We currently use standard UTF-8 smilies. This helps greatly in keeping things fast loading and standardized across device types. We no longer run custom GIF files for every single smile which is terrible for web performance, and fast-loading websites. We should avoid running custom sets of smileys or using an Album to post smiles from. That will really bog download speed, and eventually, Google will de-index those pages for being slow.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
How To Find Subscribed Threads

Click on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and select “following” from the drop-down menu.

This will bring you to a page where you can choose to view followed discussions, forums, your discussions, and participated discussions.

- Cricket

·
Registered
61 Posts
First impression: I don't like it.

Different languages at the start page (confusing), the pages I was normally going through are hidden somewhere (I haven't found them so far)...
As often it is maybe necessary to update but as often as well, the result is from the optical point of view good, but not fur usage

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
The worst thing is ads that look like posts/topics. If you need to have ads in the scroll of posts (instead of just keeping them on the right panel which is the whole purpose of the right panel) they need to look distinct and not try to trick me into reading them. The fact that they have "Avatars" and Red Names like forum users is extremely scummy in my opinion and brings this forum down a notch.

·
お前のお尻
2,833 Posts
i just noticed signatures are limited to one URL/Link only now. Before I had several links to various po
Signatures: if your signature appears as partially hidden, the solution (if it has one line) is to go on your profile, and re-type it.
I noticed signatures only allow for one URL/Link now. I had 4 before, to various threads in the forum

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
For me, the site is currently slower than molasses running uphill against the wind. We're talking 10 seconds plus to load a single page. But I think that's just to be expected on the first day, gotta wait a while for everything to come online and such, and I have faith it will be fixed in time.

The feature that automatically subscribes you to every thread you post in gotta go for me. When the site runs faster, I'll try to find a way to disable it, because it very quickly leads to a flood of alerts.

Speaking of alerts, I don't like that you first have to click your profile icon to see the button to see alerts on a separate page. It makes it a bit of a hassle to check what the alerts are about. Other forums I frequent have the alerts appear as a dropdown menu at the click of one button. It makes it much faster to see whether you got a response in a conversation, or if somebody liked a post, or just posted in a thread you're subscribed to.

I must also proclaim myself as not a fan of the main landing page. It shows subforums with the most activity - which are the Thread archives, two subforums in the Brazilian Skybar, the Polish infrastructure forum, and General Photography. I've never set my foot in most of them, and I bet this is the case for 90 % of our users (those outside Poland and Brazil, at least). The General Photography forum doesn't seem to be that frequented either, its activity is vastly inflated by the various "one picture per post" threads (including this mind-bogglingly insane one where one user has posted dozens upon dozens of pictures every single day for years).

Below the "Our top forums" list is "trending discussions", which again is dominated by regional Skybar threads. Some of the Skybars are very active indeed, but also posted in other languages than English. The effect of this, and the paragraph above, is that the first thing a new visitor to SSC will see is a bunch of threads in Polish, Italian and Portuguese. I guess it's nice if you speak any of the languages, but it will be confusing to first-time visitors and annoying to everybody else. So yeah, summa summarum, the landing page is useless.
Clicking the banner also leads you back to the same page. What people actually want to access tends to be the main forum listing, which is found by pressing one specific little button or a line of text in the top right.

So yeah, I overall think the new forum is nice enough and I will probably get used to it quickly, but the alerts system and the landing page both need massive rework.

·
Registered
14,268 Posts
Thanks for the tips on navigating the forum. I sure had a difficult time figuring things out....I'm sure I will catch on soon.

Clicking on your avatar will give you a drop-down menu for all things related to your account.
Not working for me. Not at all. Also the pages are loading extremely slowly.

·
Urban flâneur
🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈
2,418 Posts
I'm having a deja vu feeling of situation that occured several months ago - the last posts in threads aren't visible and when logged in, it often switches to other user's account (I have an access to settings to someone else's profile). This is a serious bug.
Everything is under your avatar. :)
No, that's different thing. User CP was a page where I could see unread subscribed threads from past 7 days.

·
Zgierzątko z Pawianic
Przeproś mnie Kanadyjczyku
1,966 Posts
How can I get to the first unread post in thread? There were all my subscribed threads in user control panel, where is it now? I don't care about projects in Michoacan, wherever it is, I want my old thread list back.

·
Registered Polishman
3,935 Posts
I do not like it. The space for users posts is too small, whereas the space for the adverts on the right side of the page is too big. The pictures in the posts are too small. What is the resolution? 600x400 or what?

Where are likes? The number of likes received used to be given under number of posts and the date when somebody joined the forum. Now there is only: name, avatar (picture), joined date and number of posts. What is also irritating: the signature is not fully shown in the beginning. One has to click "show full signature" in order to have it fully shown.

·
Zurück in die Zukunft
19,078 Posts
I want to like it, but I'm not going to lie - I dislike every single thing about the new layout and look. I'm sure it has some useful features, but even just looking at the front page I'm seeing some "popular" threads that I don't intend on visiting in the next 16 years but don't intuitively know what to do to see a list of all forums. I recognize that this move was necessary and don't know what could have been done differently, but it doesn't mean that I have to like it.

edit:

Even the cities are now gone from the profile look, that was a major way to recognize/identify users. Why would that be gone with a "better" forum platform? :nuts:

edit 2:

Even the :nuts: smily is gone. I don't know if I can participate without this smily.

edit 3:

Editing your own post seems like a nuisance now, doesn't work 75% of the time and then lands me on the first page of the thread :nuts:

edit 4:

Overall I get the impression that the intention was to bring the forum closer to a social media experience, like a commenting section under some Facebook post, which is what people under the age of 25 are generally used to. However, people that liked SSC enjoyed the old school Forum experience, there's a reason we prefer this than commenting on FB. Now it's like half way between the two experiences.

21 - 40 of 803 Posts