SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 1216 Posts

·
Road Whorrior
6,840 Posts
Feels less of a forum and more of a newspaper's comment feed. Yuck!

The lack of "go to first unread post" is deal-breaking for me. I check at least 50 threads almost daily. Now I'd better steer away from this place.

Also, Recommended Reading, Explore our Forums, and Popular Communities sections are pointless.

·
Registered
7,882 Posts
Hi. Nice massive update.

Is it possible to have a list of my followed thread sorted by last message? And also a similar list of thread having a tag? This link works torino but threads are sorted by first post date, not last post date.

Also the old version had a feature to jump to the first unread message in a thread. Is this still possibile?

Thank you! :)

·
Registered
Near Tottenham, but not too near.
7,915 Posts
I'm having a deja vu feeling of situation that occured several months ago - the last posts in threads aren't visible and when logged in, it often switches to other user's account (I have an access to settings to someone else's profile). This is a serious bug.

No, that's different thing. User CP was a page where I could see unread subscribed threads from past 7 days.
Click on the icon showing your avatar in the top right corner (to left of the three dots) and you can adjust account settings.

@adam81w One option allows showing full signatures

·
21,366 Posts
It's very slow, as others have mentioned. It's going to take some time getting used to the new layout, it feels more like Reddit now. I'm used to the classic forum layout, which, to me, is way more intuitive and easy to navigate. I suppose this might grow on me but I'm not a fan as of right now. I don't like that sub-forums are hidden for example, it makes it harder to navigate to your country's sub-forum. The drop down list isn't as straightforward obviously. I'm also no longer able to see what thread was last updated in a particular sub-forum, I can't even picture a forum without that feature.

I also don't understand why you had to abandon the old colors, at least it would provide some degree of familiarity. If it was up to me I'd stick to the old color profile, it's part of the brand after all.

·
Registered
26,401 Posts
To me the annoying thing is that 30% of the screen width is taken by the really "necessary" and "interesting" info that you are an accredited business and that you are GDPR compliant. It would be much better if the posts content would be stretched to the whole page with (maybe except for these white spaces on both sides – these are OK).

What also hampers the readability by limiting the amount of forum content displayed at once is this black bar at the top – with the forum logo and the search. It would be great if it was normally hidden (except if I am scrolled to the very top of the page) and showing up by pressing a button on a side or something like that.

·
Administrator
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Important Update!

I just received some really good news for y'all!

A new homepage experience (feed-based) will be launching in the next few weeks.

We won't get where we need to be overnight, but we WILL get there.

We will be seeing weekly updates (approximately) that are largely fueled by community feedback. While that doesn't mean we can action every request, it does mean we are actively listening to the feedback and sharing it with the developers.

- Cricket

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Not a fan at all but i will try to get used to it

One thing that was very handy on the old versione was the tagged search
if i saved this link torino
it would directly go to a page where i had all the discussions on my city like it was a sub forum. You actually saw all the topcs and they were oredered by last posts.

This thing does not exist anymore and it is very annoing

·
Registered
3,077 Posts

if i saved this link https://www.skyscrapercity.com/tags.php?tag=torino
it would directly go to a page where i had all the discussions on my city like it was a sub forum. You actually saw all the topcs and they were oredered by last posts.

·
Administrator
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

if i saved this link https://www.skyscrapercity.com/tags.php?tag=torino

I will definitely pass on your feedback. In the meantime, this may help.

How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts

This is a great option for those times when you want to save a thread to come back to later. At the bottom of the post, you will see “save”. Click on it.

Once you click on it you can add any notes to remind yourself and then simply click to save.

When you are ready to find the saved bookmarks again later, from the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on your avatar to open the drop-down menu and select “bookmarks”.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
The feature I am missing the most is directly landing to the first unread post of a followed thread. Now, I have no other option than to reach the last page and scroll back.
This may take a day or two to catch up here on the new site, as the platform learns what you read last.

Normally, clicking on the title will take you to the 1st unread post.

Navigating Thread Listing

• Clicking the thread title will take you to where you left off, the 1st unread post.
  • Clicking the timestamp below the title will take you to the 1st post of the thread.
  • Clicking the timestamp above the last poster user takes you to the last (newest) post.
- Cricket

·
Ar't
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
1,989 Posts
The lack of "go to first unread post" is deal-breaking for me. I check at least 50 threads almost daily. Now I'd better steer away from this place.
i think, it's default right now, but works only on new posts.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I will definitely pass on your feedback. In the meantime, this may help.

How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts

This is a great option for those times when you want to save a thread to come back to later. At the bottom of the post, you will see “save”. Click on it.

Once you click on it you can add any notes to remind yourself and then simply click to save.

When you are ready to find the saved bookmarks again later, from the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on your avatar to open the drop-down menu and select “bookmarks”.

- Cricket
thank you for aknowliging everything

The tag research as it was with the old forum is not only important for me bu i think i can say for the community that searched the threads on my city as well

Ii was immediate now i have to navigate the forum for a lot of time to search for the project of the metro line of my city.

For me this brakes or makes the forum, hopefully you can find a solution or give us that option back

p.s
i can only use dark mode because the "normal" mode imho looks like a newspaper comment section
And it's very slow, but you explained this already

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
We currently use standard UTF-8 smilies. This helps greatly in keeping things fast loading and standardized across device types. We no longer run custom GIF files for every single smile which is terrible for web performance, and fast-loading websites. We should avoid running custom sets of smileys or using an Album to post smiles from. That will really bog download speed, and eventually, Google will de-index those pages for being slow.
Really? It's just a set of small GIFs which are fast to load and which can be easily cached both in CDN and in a browser. Also, these pics look the same on all devices.

·
autostradożerca
5,989 Posts
On page "what's new", clicking "mark all read" and then confirming gives me an error message after some time:
Oops! We ran into some problems. Please try again later. More error details may be in the browser console.
Console says it's 504: Gateway time-out error.

·
Registered
33,656 Posts
My first feedback is that there is a problem when using Internet Explorer.
I don't care IE is due to be retired, but I use it and the experince is .... well I'll leave it to your imagination ..

41 - 60 of 1216 Posts