SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/pho...-sold-off/20100728-10v0i.html?selectedImage=0

Brisbane's failed 80-storey Vision tower will be resurrected - or at least a version of it - under news plans from the site's buyer, Billbergia Group.

The developer yesterday confirmed it intended to build the city's tallest residential and commercial tower, despite the failure of previous owners Austcorp.

But the skyscraper will be redesigned in order to accommodate a second smaller building, expected to be about 20 storeys high, on the site.

Billbergia sales manager Ian Troy remained tight-lipped about the design of the twin towers, although he said the developer was considering three design options for the long-vacant block.

"We are committed to developing an iconic building for Brisbane," he told brisbanetimes.com.au.

The developer plans to lodge a final development application with Brisbane City Council by the end of the year.

Mr Troy said Billbergia would not fail where its predecessor had.

"We've done our sums carefully and with the design ideas we have, we believe the apartments will come in at an attractive price to most investors," he said.

"We're not building multi-million dollar units as a general rule. We'll have a couple of decent units up the top, but we're not building a tower of very, very expensive apartments.

"I believe the development will be successful, because it is in an iconic position."

Billbergia bought the site, that would have housed the $1 billion Vision tower, between Mary and Margaret streets, in July for a reported $40 million.

The Vision concept was flattened by the global financial crisis, leaving a $25 million, seven-level hole in the ground.

Under the original application, the development was to have a seven-storey car park below two levels of retail and entertainment space, 13 floors of commercial offices, 53 floors of residential apartments and a two-storey observation deck.

The site gained even more prominence earlier this year when the state government announced plans to build an underground subway station at lower Albert Street.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
TBH, no skyscraper these days ever seems iconic, as just about every design has been used in Dubai :)

The site is also not that iconic, which makes it hard to really make the grade as a true world icon for the city. The term 'iconic' is truely overused also.

That Vision tower was a good design though.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
TBH, no skyscraper these days ever seems iconic, as just about every design has been used in Dubai :)

The site is also not that iconic, which makes it hard to really make the grade as a true world icon for the city. The term 'iconic' is truely overused also.

That Vision tower was a good design though.
i agree with your sentiment about iconic buildings, Dubai and China have swamped the market in this regard..

However, you obviously have never visited Brisbane if you seem to think that this site isnt iconic, anyone who has ever driven into Brisbane from the South will be able to tell you that any building with credible height would dominate the skyline.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
i agree with your sentiment about iconic buildings, Dubai and China have swamped the market in this regard..

However, you obviously have never visited Brisbane if you seem to think that this site isnt iconic, anyone who has ever driven into Brisbane from the South will be able to tell you that any building with credible height would dominate the skyline.
The really iconic positions are right on water, or along a defined vista, which are centrepieces, in 99% of cases it seems. This spot seemingly sits in the middle of other buildings.

It will be hard to get anything to be truely iconic there. Eureka Tower, for instance, has enough trouble being iconic for Melbourne, yet it is a building that really has many atributes to being an icon, in its form and design. Its undoing is that it sits between other average buildings, even though it is near water, and lacks a position that would have showcased it more.

Even since Dubai, and as you mentioned China too, decided to build everything, it has kind of made it hard for anyone to take anything else seriously. Thats the sad part about it all.

If Vision is built it will be a good addition to the skyline of BNE, but saying iconic, particularly on a world stage, it will struggle to have that potential IMHO.

·
New Urbanist
5,526 Posts
Will it actually be tall?! :eek:
They said they want to build the tallest... so my optimistic side says yes... also given the large site, Billbergia may see the highest and best use of this site to be around the 80 floor mark, but it will most likely look completely different from the previous proposal.

It should be noted that the new Billbergia proposal is the third design for this site... Baroque, Vision, ???. Third times a charm... hopefully :)

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
When they mean by iconic, I see their aim as the tower being seen as the skyscraper that defines Brisbane. They want the building to be the building that people will associate Brisbane with.

Good to see Billbergia aiming high in all regards. Two towers for the site is a good deal. :)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The really iconic positions are right on water, or along a defined vista, which are centrepieces, in 99% of cases it seems. This spot seemingly sits in the middle of other buildings.

It will be hard to get anything to be truely iconic there. Eureka Tower, for instance, has enough trouble being iconic for Melbourne, yet it is a building that really has many atributes to being an icon, in its form and design. Its undoing is that it sits between other average buildings, even though it is near water, and lacks a position that would have showcased it more.

Even since Dubai, and as you mentioned China too, decided to build everything, it has kind of made it hard for anyone to take anything else seriously. Thats the sad part about it all.

If Vision is built it will be a good addition to the skyline of BNE, but saying iconic, particularly on a world stage, it will struggle to have that potential IMHO.
Aside from the Sydney Opera House does this nation have ANY truly world class iconic buildings that would be INSTANTLY recognised around the world?

I think not :eek:hno:

Brisbane during the Joh Bjelke-Petersen years ... hideous racist and homophobe of a man ... destroyed much of it's history and older buildings so I think for a city like Brisbane ... the only way is to look forward and make it modern and tall :)

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Lets wait and see, the word 'iconic' gets thrown around far too loosely by most developers.

IMO this is a hard one to mess up, Vision is the perfect example of what people will like on this site. Yes you need to make the financials work but everything else about Vision worked and worked very well, so developers if you are reading this, no need to reinvent the wheel here, your homework has been done for you;) (of course if you feel like building the Burj Dubai then scrub that comment;))

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,135 Posts
Oh FFS its sales talk. Australia has one iconic building - The Sydney Opera House.

That is all.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Infinity & Soleil won't be the tallest for too long if this baby gets off the ground!!!

·
New Urbanist
5,526 Posts
Oh FFS its sales talk. Australia has one iconic building - The Sydney Opera House.

That is all.
There was never any talk in that article about it being a "world icon" but rather an "icon for Brisbane" which would have been true if Vision went ahead. Its dominance in the skyline itself would have made it a local landmark.

I posted this in the other thread, might as well post here.

If market outlooks like the one below are to go by... Now is the time for Billbergia to build a mighty big tower to take full advantage of the upswing in Queensland's property cycle. Unlike Vision, which was caught at the tail end.

Prepare for Boom 2.0, Queensland told

Queensland may have been slow out of the blocks in emerging from the global financial downturn, but the state has been told to prepare for the "Resource Boom Mark II".

In its latest quarterly Business Outlook report, Access Economics says there is "no mistaking the enormous momentum building up in the 'sunbelt states"' of Queensland, Western Australia as well as the Northern Territory.

"The worst is over for Queensland," the report, out today, states.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts

Been on the waters edge would probably help, however a building like Eureka is pretty iconic for Melbour,e it might not be recognized worldwide but it's still a Melbourne icon..

A 250m building built on this site is going to stand out like dogs balls, has every opportunity to be a Brisbane icon

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^^

I want to like Eureka (Melbs) but last time I was in Melbourne for KYLIEX2008 (shut up) I viewed it from every angle possible and it's just an ugly, dated building ... I'd say Melbourne's Rialto is more 'iconic' to be honest!!!

·
40,696 Posts
Brisbane during the Joh Bjelke-Petersen years ... hideous racist and homophobe of a man ... destroyed much of it's history and older buildings so I think for a city like Brisbane ... the only way is to look forward and make it modern and tall :)
I hope he is happy in his grave that Brisbane has tall and modern buildings.

·
40,696 Posts
He was such a tool of a human being ... and he ruined QLD's reputation for ages!!!
Don't worry about his persona. He was bad with heritage and the city is now paying for it, because he was a person who liked having tall buildings.

Queensland's reputation may have suffered in some aspects during his rule, but if you look at Queensland now, it now leads the nation in many areas. He wanted Queensland to become modern and he has achieved it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts