Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No wheels? No problem! Car sharing comes to USF
Thursday, July 23, 2009

HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- Thanks to a new car sharing program at the University of South Florida, students and faculty can take advantage of the benefits of having a car without the hassle of actually buying one.

Through WeCar, students and faculty can pay a membership, then go online and reserve a hybrid car, which can be found in designated parking spaces.

Using a magnetic card, they can unlock the doors, grab the keys in the glove box, and drive away at a rate of $10 to $12 per hour.

"All the benefits of a personal automobile, only paying for the time that they need," said Ryan Johnson, a spokesman for WeCar.

The cost of gas, maintenance and mileage is covered in the cost.

Should the worst happen, most memberships also provide insurance, as long as the driver is "operating within the rules of the program," Johnson said.

Researchers at USF recently received a grant to study the program. They say car sharing fits in with other forms of public transportation. What's more, they say it could actually take cars off the road by encouraging other forms of transportation.

"It fills a complementary service that a lot of commuters and travelers can appreciate," said USF researcher Phil Winters.

USF is one of about 200 colleges and universities around the country with car sharing programs. The University of Florida also has a similar program in place.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/...wheels?+No+problem!++Car+sharing+comes+to+USF

·
Registered
199 Posts
I used to have ZipCar in Boston, and wished I never had a car -- it was incredibly convenient and simple. If ZipCar came to downtown Tampa, my car will be gone ...

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
$10-$12 an hour? If you drive for 3 hours that's already a tank of gas. If you rarely drive or carpool this might be a good option but for commuting? No thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.