SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
BAND
12,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought i'd start a new thread on this as hopefully it'll really help bring extra life to the city centre:

Sheffield city centre's bid for new buzz to lure crowds

MORE than 40 stores, restaurants and shopping centres are joining forces to encourage people to create a new buzz in Sheffield city centre during the long summer evenings.
Every Wednesday from tomorrow until mid-September, shops and city centre attractions will be opening late and bars and restaurants will be offering special deals as part of the 'Wednesday Night Live!' initiative.

Brendan Moffett, director of strategic marketing at city development company Creative Sheffield, said: "We're keen to promote Sheffield as a great place to visit and Wednesday Night Live! is sure to help us do this.

"The city centre will be a hive of activity throughout the summer months so come down and see what Sheffield has to offer."

Do you think the new initiative will give Sheffield more buzz in the early evening? Add your comment below.

John Lewis, which has led the way when it comes to opening late on Wednesdays, will be providing free car parking and there will be live music and street performances across the city centre.

The Wednesday Night Live! initiative has been timed to coincide with the opening of the Vivienne Westwood Exhibition at the Millennium Gallery.

Both the Gallery and the neighbouring Winter Garden will be open until 9pm every Wednesday, with live music provided by Stag Works and Opus Creations and fashion-related events, including Catwalk Trend presentations and Styling Advice, in addition to the Westwood Exhibition.

Stilt walkers and unicyclists will be among the artists staging circus-inspired street theatre in the city centre, organised by Swamp Circus Trust.

Visitors to the city centre will also be able to eat and drink for less at a number of bars and restaurants.

Malcolm Schooling, owner of Platillos and the Wig and Pen, said: "A couple of years ago it would have been difficult to encourage people to stay in the city after work or venture in from home."

The Forum is planning a re-launch party for Wednesday June 11, with sky lanterns, live music, al fresco food and shops offering discounts on some products, to celebrate the opening of a number of new independent stores, the Devonshire Terrace and late night opening on Wednesdays.

John Lewis store manager Mark Lewis said: "This fantastic new initiative will bring many new and current customers into the city."
I can't wait TBH. I find it such a struggle to get into town any days other than weekends. The free parking after 6.30, and free parking in the John Lewis car park should really help draw people in.

My only complaint is i've not really seen it very widely advertised :|

·
18,057 Posts
yeah its a great idea although i dont know why wednesday was chosen... but either way its encouraging later opening which is always good.

on a similar note, the Westwood exhibition is fantastic, if youre into controversial high fashion stuff then its well worth a visit.

·
BAND
12,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, one of my mate has been to see it and recommended it me. I'll have to check it out (see if it's nice weather tomorrow :|)

·
<Witty comment here>
3,961 Posts
My only complaint is i've not really seen it very widely advertised :|
The big advert on the side of the Library is now an advert for this. Should get a few people down lol.

·
Unregistered User
4,129 Posts
Saw the Wednesday Night Live advertisements up in the train station yesterday. At least they are letting people know about things, for once,lol.

Also, to answer Kyle's comment. Id imagine they chose Wednesday as it's middle of the week and generally boring.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Wednesday night maybe nicking the french idea of sportign wedensdays where they get wednesday afternoon off school to go to sports centres etc. Learnt about french PE curriculum and its miles better than ours. The have a organisation called INSEP like our english institute for sport but a lot better and bigger. . . . . so yeah could be that.

Frogged could fill me in a bit more there.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
At college, Wednesday afternoon was when we all did some sort of extra curricula activity (I did web page design and Archery for the record!).

I guess with it being the middle of the working week its the natural time to have 'breaks' of these kinds.

·
Who'd sit in THAT chair..
1,136 Posts
French tradition ? I'm sure we have a football club with wednesday in the name :lol:

sheffield and the day wednesday are like chalk and cheese only they arent opposite :lol:.....well it makes sence to me :cheers:
I get you 84, as would anyone else who's eaten ASDA Smartprice cheddar!

I'm thinking I might drag a friend out next Wed, should be good...

·
Unregistered User
4,129 Posts
At college, Wednesday afternoon was when we all did some sort of extra curricula activity (I did web page design and Archery for the record!).

I guess with it being the middle of the working week its the natural time to have 'breaks' of these kinds.
Yeah the same happens at ours too.

·
BAND
12,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So was this supposed to be on this Wednesday?

I've just been into town expecting to find a whole host of shops open, but there was probably at maximum 5 that I saw :dunno: I was wanting to look at phones and I expected at least most of the stores on Fargate to be open, but not even Marks and Spencers was :dunno:

If this is their idea of 'attracting people to the centre in the evenings', you can forget it. Even as I walked in, the Proper Deli Co. (one of the few places open) was taking it boards down advertising the evening. A bit of (well - a big) **** up if you ask me! :eek:hno:

(There was one single stiltwalker wondering round :|)

·
BAND
12,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Not loads really no...

The peace gardens were full, but nothing else really.

I just can't work out what these 40 shops were. All I saw open was:

Specsavers,
Proper Deli Co.,
Zavvi,
H&M,
?Monsoon? (The one next to Topman)
Somerfield,
Starbucks,
Macdonalds and
KFC

Of those, atleast 4 are open that late anyway and only 4 are shops as opposed to food outlets!

I just don't understand why the council a) hasn't advertised it better, and b) hasn't got the big chain shops involved. Marks and Spencers, Gap, River Island, Topshop/Topman to name a few were all shut and should've been easy enough to convince (they have the money to risk on things like this)...

·
<Witty comment here>
3,961 Posts
It's only the first week I guess?

Here's the advert I was talking about before:

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I wouldn't have know about it if I hadn't seen it on here.

Surely the first week(s) is when the most shops should be open - more people are likely to give it a try I would think because it's new. Anyone who went down tonight and found the sorry state Paulmat reported would probably not bother going back.

Well done SCC - a pretty sorry do all round.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts