Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I witnessed the arrival of the ship today and here are some pics. Apparently it's the largest wooden sailing ship (that actually can sail) in the world. It left Göteborg in October 2005 and has been on a grand voyage to Shanghai and back.

This ship is a replica of an east indiaman that sank just outside Göteborgs harbour in 1745.

·
Stockholm rules!
1,740 Posts
Nice! I remember when it came to sthlm a while ago, it was awesome! :D

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Very impressive! I wish we had one of those.

What's that borg outside Göteborg?.. Götefort?

·
Banned
234 Posts
Looks nice i had a look on it before she set sail to Shanghai a while ago, you know just expecting her. :D They cheated though, using a diesel powered propeller when sailing out of the port. No sport!

Very impressive! I wish we had one of those.

What's that borg outside Göteborg?.. Götefort?
Something built to keep the danes away i guess :dunno:

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^It's Nya Älvsborgs fästning. It was built in the 17th century and it's possible to go and visit it by ferries all summer.

I was talking about similarities between Helsinki and Göteborg in another thread. Yet two similarities, the castles on islands and also that both towns have been relocated along it's river.

I didn't see Jintao, no.

The diesel engine is there because the ship would not be allowed to enter ports today without it. Also it's built with todays requirements concerning strenght of hull etc. But apart from that everything is old fashioned. Even the ropes are the old types.

·
Stockholm rules!
1,740 Posts
Welcome to Skyscrapercity, Sapmi! I hope you'll enjoy this section of the forums! It's always good with some fresh nordic ''meat''! :p I am looking forward to see you more here! :)

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Welcome to Skyscrapercity, Sapmi! I hope you'll enjoy this section of the forums! It's always good with some fresh nordic ''meat''! :p I am looking forward to see you more here! :)
Thank you very much! I've been around here for three years or so but it wasn't until now that I decided to registrate. :tongue2:

I'll see you around then!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts