SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been missing hong kong lately. so what better way to revisit than to delve into my hundreds of photos from last summer?

hong kong is a vast, multifaceted city. i have fond memories of riding the rickety wood trolley across hong kong island, ding-dinging past the billboards of causeway bay, eye-level with the videoscreens. i remember speed-boating past the mountains of sai kung, salt air in my face, and relaxing on a beach accessible only by boat. i remember devouring roast goose, fried eel and neighbourhood-brewed beer in sham tseng. i remember little restaurants where i can pop in to slurp back a bowl of sweet tong shui or savour some congee at 1am. i remember gazing over the new territories with a herd of wild cows on ma on shan, high above the heat and humidity.

what i remember most of all, though, is kowloon. hong kong island might have the glitz, but kowloon has the grit. it's a thousand chinatown fantasies compressed.

so here are 99 kowloon photos.

MONGKOK

9a

9b

HUNG HOM

JORDAN AND YAU MA TEI

KWUN TONG

SHAM SHUI PO

YAU YAT CHUEN

KOWLOON CITY

SHEK KIP MEI

TSIM SHA TSUI

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks!

you know, considering how many hong kong photothreads there are on this forum, i'm surprised not many people seem interested in seeing how it looks at street level.

·
Registered
419 Posts
thanks for the photos ... of the kowloon area
i personally quite like prince edward and hunghom ...
they are local yet more laid back than areas like tst or mk ...

when residents reclaim their places like this
it gives meaning to spaces ...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that's the star ferry bus terminal. the harbour is behind it; on the other side is hong kong island with its famous skyline.

·
Registered
537 Posts

i love my hk style... so unique and recognizable anywhere. (the girl looks familiar to me *o*)
i miss my kowloon. T-T
but i treasure living here in TO too i guess.
must go back soon though... maybe this summer after learning how to drive =-=''

·
Registered
69 Posts

but it is a rich city, or there are too many differences of yield like in brazil them? from the photos species of times square between the shantytown seems one. too much crowded, is not much beatiful live there.how they make to play to tennis those girls under the eyes of thousand of persons with commie blocks like soviet union?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BastardWorld said:
but it is a rich city, or there are too many differences of yield like in brazil them? from the photos species of times square between the shantytown seems one. too much crowded, is not much beatiful live there.how they make to play to tennis those girls under the eyes of thousand of persons with commie blocks like soviet union?
hong kong is one of the richest countries in the world, with a level of per-capita wealth comparable to canada or the united states. it's nothing like brazil.

i don't see any shantytowns in these photos... and of course whether or not it's too crowded is a matter of taste.

as for the tennis (badminton, actually), i don't really understand. the badminton court was located in the courtyard of a very pleasant apartment complex. it's no different than life in manhattan, for instance.

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
kowloon is very down to earth, very nice pics! :)

·
17,496 Posts
kilgoretrout said:
hong kong is one of the richest countries in the world, with a level of per-capita wealth comparable to canada or the united states. it's nothing like brazil.

i don't see any shantytowns in these photos... and of course whether or not it's too crowded is a matter of taste.

as for the tennis (badminton, actually), i don't really understand. the badminton court was located in the courtyard of a very pleasant apartment complex. it's no different than life in manhattan, for instance.
HK isn't a country ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts