Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There isn't much Upstate SC representation on this board, and the little attention it gets tends to be focused on Greenville; however, Spartanburg is a significant player in the Upstate economy and has many great things going for it. The city's 2004 population is only 38,599 (thanks to SC's restrictive annexation laws), but the county population is 266,809. It is the second largest city in the Upstate and the area is home to the BMW North American manufacturing plant, Extended Stay America corporate HQs, Advance America corporate HQs, and Denny's Restaurants corporate HQs. Several colleges and universities call the area home, including USC-Upstate, Wofford College, Converse College, and Sherman College of Straight Chiropractic.

I didn't get a chance to get pictures of everything; missing are pictures of the Spartanburg Municipal Auditorium (the largest in the state), Barnett Park, the hospital complex (which has some height to it, constituting something of a highrise in the city), Barnett Park (the city's signature park), and a mid-rise or two. But here we go. I'm not familiar with all the street names, so bear with me.

Starting off on Magnolia Street with a great urban opportunity, the old Spartan Hotel

A view of the Marriott from the area

Federal Courthouse plaque

County Judicial Center

Cleveland Law Firm Building

Looking toward St. John Street

County Public Libraries HQ

A view of a tower from the area

The tallest tower in the city, the Denny's/BB&T tower

A small courtyard on one side of the tower (not sure if it's the north or south side)

On to the other side of the tower, a nice plaza/"front lawn"

A little corner building

Something's coming here; not sure what

More opportunity; work is being done to the building to the far right. I hope whatever happens to the building in the foreground that the Pepsi logo gets to stay (but I doubt it)

Nice mural

First Baptist Church

Construction happening down the road; I believe this will be a Carolina First bank building

First Baptist Student Center, the Hangar

The Marriott from the parking lot of the Hangar

A little closer

At night

Construction of the Chapman Cultural Center, which will have a significant impact upon downtown

Law offices

SPARTA Passenger Center (the guy in the picture actually had the nerve to ask me for $52 for a bus ticket down to Charleston, and when I politely declined, he asked if I would alter my route back over to Rock Hill to go down I-26 to Charleston)

Montgomery Tower in the distance

Dunbar Street parking garage

Side of Montgomery Tower

A little pocket park between a parking garage and a building

Happy 175th, Spartanburg!

Advance America corporate HQs

From the lawn of Extended Stay America corporate HQs

Extended Stay America corporate HQs

Statue of some guy out front

"Self-Made Man" statue out front

Fountain

Looking towards the square

The square

Statue of Daniel Morgan, a pivotal person in the history of the city (I think he's the city's founder if I'm not mistaken)

Up close and personal

Downtown clock tower from a distance

Old church

QS1 Data Systems regional HQs

And I leave you with a pano (the Marriott is a little too far removed from this angle, which is about as good as it gets, to be included):

Hope you enjoyed!!!

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, there are four geographical regions of SC: the Upstate (Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson), the Midlands (Columbia, Orangeburg), the Lowcountry (Charleston, Beaufort, Hilton Head, Georgetown), and the Pee Dee/Grand Strand (Florence, Darlington, Myrtle Beach).

Roughly, this is what constitutes the Upstate (I would also add Union County, just south of Spartanburg, and Greenwood and Laurens Counties, south of Anderson and Greenville counties):

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Thanks for the pictures krazee - by the way, Daniel Morgan was a Revolutionary War hero that fought at Cowpens.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I loved those pics of Spartanburg. It kinna reminds me of Greenville (a little). It has some modern buildings as well as old ones. The tower is neat too. if the midrises were arranged a little differently, you coulda had a nice skyline shot. However, the pics were cool!!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
what a charming downtown. do you have any pictures of any of the old neighborhoods in spartanburg? is there a strong preservation movement in spartanburg?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
wow thats a very nice city. Its just is pretty as Greenville. Personally I think those two cities rank among the top prettiest and well landscaped cities in the south. I think alot of cities can take some notes on what a city should really look like.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
bungalowbuck said:
what a charming downtown. do you have any pictures of any of the old neighborhoods in spartanburg? is there a strong preservation movement in spartanburg?
Not to dismiss Krazee's pictures, but what is missing is the great old neighborhoods & college campuses. Converse Heights is especially a great neighborhood, situated beside the college campus of Converse & near another great campus, Wofford.

Also - there is an old theater that was renovated - I think it's the street that goes towards Asheville.

·
The Secret Word Is:
387 Posts
WOW! Spartanburg! You don't see Spartanburg on the forums everyday. These are beautiful photos too! I'm guessing the Spartan Hotel was built around 1895? I see a lot of 1890's architecture in these photos. The Cleveland Law Firm Building is my favorite.

Did you know: Jerry Richardson (owner of the Carolina Panthers) is a Spartanburg native, a Wofford graduate and was once the CEO of Denny's Restaurants. A lot of the work to bring the NFL to the Carolinas was done from this Spartanburg skyscraper (see photo link below).

http://www.myonlineimages.com/Members/antical79/images/dennystower2.jpg

If you can find the time, give us a neighborhood tour or two. These are great photos!

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TheBrad, thanks for the correction on Morgan.

Next time I roll through the place, I'll try to get some pictures of the spots I missed, including older neighborhoods, the auditorium, the park, the campuses, and even the old Krispy Kreme. I'm glad you all enjoyed!

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Nice to see photos of a city not getting much representation in the forums. Looks nice and charming and I hope to see more images of this place. Great photos :eek:kay:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Great pics krazeeboi!
That's a pretty impressive downtown for a city of that population. I lived in Greenville briefly in 2000, and it was almost like Spartanburg didn't even exist. Nobody ever even talked about it. It was always Charlotte, Atlanta, Asheville - even Columbia was more prominent to people in Greenville than Spartanburg, which was so close you could almost see it on a good day if you squinted.
It looks like a lot of new construction has taken place since 2000. I don't remember any of the new buildings that you photographed as being there. In fact, the only thing I remember was the BB&T tower (which was called something else back then, if I'm not mistaken). It looked so weird, this modern tower jutting straight up of what looked like downtown Mayberry! It looks like a lot has taken place to try to bring the rest of downtown up to modern times so that tower will not stick out like a sore thumb!
As was mentioned earlier, it seems like Greenville gets all the attention as far as the upstate is concerned, but from the looks of these pics, Spartanburg may be about to give G'ville a run for her money!

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pawsum, thanks; Spartanburg is definitely on its way to bigger and better things.

Panamaboy, the city's 2004 population is only 38,599 (thanks to SC's restrictive annexation laws), but the county population is 266,809. The total Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson population is 1,185,534.

·
lagom
1,537 Posts
So why does SC have restrictive annexation laws?
I used to live in Forest City, NC north of Spartanburg and that BB&T building barely breaks above the trees when your driving into Spartanburg in any direction.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Enjoyed your pictures.
Where does Rock Hill, Fort Mill and Lancaster come in the geographical regions of SC? I never hear or read their names when the geographical regions are used. Rock Hill area is 200,000+, this should buy them something.

I know they are in the Charlotte MSA, is this the reason why?

·
Registered
303 Posts
CLTNC said:
Enjoyed your pictures.
Where does Rock Hill, Fort Mill and Lancaster come in the geographical regions of SC? I never hear or read their names when the geographical regions are used. Rock Hill area is 200,000+, this should buy them something.

I know they are in the Charlotte MSA, is this the reason why?
I think Rock Hill area is just tied in with the Charlotte metro area...I've never heard it called anything in SC...The closet thing I can think of is the foothills or Piedmont...Isn't the Charlotte area in the location called the piedmont or whatever?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts