SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Architect
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't really know how to start this, so I guess I'll just start it . . . :)

My Region, Timbuktu
This is the first region I have ever completely devoted myself to in SimCity 4. For the most part, every city I have made in it is an experiment of some sort, following lessons I've learned from other cities and trying new things to make the perfect city and region. The way I see it, there are about three stages of cities in my region: (1) Ones without a definite gridlock, (2) Ones with road gridlocks, and (3) Ones with avenue gridlocks. Each of my cities is connected with most neighbors via water, roads, subways, and a select few with ferries. Here are some pics of my region . . .

The satellite view of my region (the developed part, at least) . . .

The satellite view with city and mayor names (yes I name my mayors) . . .

Transportation map of my region (very gridlocked) . . .

You can see that my region is nowhere near completion. I estimate that the final population will be in the range of 10-15 million. The newest developments in the region is The Island (yes, that's its name). Every city on The Island is a Stage 3 city. For now, I will keep development to The Island and the original West Peninsula.

I will showcase each of the cities in the 2nd picture soon . . .
Any feedback is much appreciated. :D

·
Architect
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
First City . . .

Cyprus Hill, Timbuktu
Stage 1 City
Mayor: Um . . . don't know
Population: 267,254
Commercial: 396,057
Industrial: 0

This is my first city, built off the original Big City Tutorial. It is, by some accounts, also my most or least successful city. I would most compare it to New York City. Though Cyprus Hill still experiences good growth, it is much past its glory days. Growth has slowed these days due to a need for a bigger airport, but land is scarce and I'm not willing to committ to an Int'l Airport yet. Here are some pictures . . .

Cyprus Hill in its entirety . . .

The old Downtown area of Cyprus Hill, long past its hayday . . .

The slightly newer and wealthier Uptown area of Cyprus Hill, with two supertalls . . .

The newest part, the Midtown area of Cyprus Hill . . .

The city's namesake, Cyprus Hill, which is the only undeveloped piece of land . . .

The horribly outdate and congested Cyprus Hill subway system . . .

Cyprus Hill is by far my oldest city. I have learned a lot of lessons from it that were employed in my other cities. Despite being through several economic breakdowns, one of which had nearly half the city abandoned, Cyprus Hill has stayed strong and is still the second strongest city in the region economically.

Now on to Westhampton . . .

·
Architect
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Second City . . .

Westhampton, Timbuktu
Stage 1 City
Mayor: Muhammad Abdulla
Population: 592,679
Commercial: 67,886

My region's second city, unless you count the tutorial cities which I so joyfully destroyed with meteors and volcanoes, and (for now) my region's largest city in population. For the first 50 years, it had remained right around 400,000. Then, I converted all industrial zoned land (everything west of the highway) into commercial. After that, the city peaked at around 650,000 and has since leveled off to around 600,000 with very little growth. The city has a very high density and has not even once had an economic breakdown. Here are some pictures . . .

The entire Westhampton spread, quite impressive . . .

The Westhampton government park, holding most rewards and opportunities . . .

The newly developed Downtown area of Westhampton, with a supertall . . .

The just as new Junction Town area, so named because of the highway intersection nearby . . .

Typical Westhampton density . . .

The Westhampton subway system . . .

Despite being one of my most successful cities, Westhampton was not designed well and has horrible traffic, both road and subway. I built a highway early on, but it has done little to help. To this date, I still have not solved the traffic problem, though the residents don't seem to care much.

I'll do a few more cities when I feel like it . . .

·
Architect
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^Gee . . . thanks.

If you must know, it's kind of hard for me to make a city off a gridlock. I have mild obsessive-compulsive disorder. Some of my cities are even symmetrical.

BTW, that's just my first city in this region and my first truly big city. I had another region before this one, but it was shiite.

·
Architect
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Third City . . .

^I have little to no control over that though.

Gasp Gulch, Timbuktu
Stage 2 City
Mayor: Tiny Tim
Population: 119,036
Commercial: 20,876

Originally a small suburb of Cyprus Hill, Gasp Gulch is now a booming city with its own distinct Downtown area. It was also my first Stage 2 city. If you look closely, you can see that the actual city dips towards the center, thus the name Gasp Gulch. Veterans may remember this name from SimCity 3000. Just my way of showing thanks . . .

All of Gasp Gulch in its splendor . . .

Downtown Gasp Gulch, with the government complex and both stadiums . . .

The hillside of the city . . .

The well-developed subway system of Gasp Gulch . . .

You may have noticed that there are two supertall residentials in the Southwest corner of Gasp Gulch. These were built at the peak of the city's residential progress. Soon, however, they began to deteriorate, so I was forced to build a downtown commercial district. Things turned out well in the end, though one of the supertalls is still deteriorating due to low demand.

Next up is Forest Hills . . .

·
Architect
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A Little Bit of Ritz . . .

Forest Hills, Timbuktu
Stage 1 City
Mayor: Sir Arthur Kensington IV
Population: 71,209
Commercial: 0

Originally meant to be the ritzy suburb of Cyprus Hill, Forest Hills is now a medium-rate city with some dirty laundry of its own. I designed it as the ultimate in luxury, placing parks and good hospitals/schools, but demand had another idea. It started off small, but eventually over 3/4 of the highrises in the city were abandoned due to low demand. After leading the city through this five-year recession, it miraculously got better. Now it is very near what was originally intended . . .

All of Forest Hills, and the luxury within . . .

Typical Forest Hills density and beauty . . .

The Forest Hills government complex and cemetery . . .

The large area inbetween the two avenues was left open at the construction of the city so that all the luxurious rewards could be built. Now, however, I'm thinking of filling in the rest of it with commercial zoning, so that Forest Hills may have its own little downtown shopping district. For now, though, I'll leave it as it is.

Coming next is New Birmingham . . .

·
Architect
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Somewhat Industrial . . .

New Birmingham, Timbuktu
Stage 2 City
Mayor: Jeffrey Jefferson Jr.
Population: 0
Industrial: 18,734

One of my first experiments in industry, New Birmingham is about as far as it can ever go. The entire city is convered from head to foot in nothing but parks, government buildings, and high-tech industry. All workers commute from the neighboring cities by way of the large amount of roads, or the great subway system. It is a very clean city and a very proud one as well . . .

All of New Birmingham . . .

Typical New Birmingham "density" and beauty . . .

I named the city after Birmingham, England and Birmingham, Alabama, both of which are famous for their industry. I think the named served New Birmingham well in the end. Everything I learned from this city was put into my next industrial city, Quahog, which I will display later today.

Until then . . .

·
Registered
84 Posts
Very very cool...I started playing SC4 a year ago, but I have decided now that I'll start to build only industrial cities near residential and commercial cities...so I can work out problems of pollution! (sorry for my english, but...) ;)

·
Architect
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quahog Can Wait . . .

Victoria, Timbuktu
Stage 1 City
Mayor: David C. Haws
Population: 16,454

Not much really to say about Victoria. It's the wealthy little eastern suburb of Cyprus Hill and probably my smallest city in the region. It is, however, very well developed and has never had any problems. See for yourself . . .

All of Victoria . . .

The developed portion up close and personal . . .

That's it, really. Victoria is the next city I will develop on The Island. That is, after I showcase the rest of my cities anyways. I haven't decided whether to make it a booming commercial district, or a luxurious residential district yet.

Oh well . . .

·
Architect
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And Now, Quahog . . .

Quahog, Timbuktu
Stage 2 City
Mayor: Adam West
Population: 13
Industrial: 37,984

My first large industrial city, Quahog, named for the city in Family Guy (as well as the mayor). I used my experiences from New Birmingham to build this one. It was the first city that I built completely in advance (everything placed and then unpaused). It worked suprisingly well, and I now do this with every city. There are two ports, both filled to about half capacity. Enjoy . . .

All of Quahog, developed and undeveloped . . .

Construction near the space center . . .

The docks and only two homes in the city (for mayor rating purposes) . . .

A shuttle launch at the space center . . .

The extensive Quahog subway system . . .

As you can see, Quahog is only 2/3 finished. Thus, it will become my largest industrial city in the region when I finish it. To date, it is also my most successful. The one mistake I made, however, was the grid size. Industrial buildings are small and require smaller grids. Otherwise, they get built away from the roads and eventually abandoned.

Next up is Little Italy . . .

·
Architect
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A Little Piece of Italy . . .

Little Italy, Timbuktu
Stage 2 City
Mayor: Lucas Bertone
Population: 180,419

Little Italy is just that, little. Despite being built on the smallest tile possible, it still reached a maximum population of 200,000 and eventually leveled off near 180,000. If you live in Little Italy, you either commute to Quahog or Magnametro. Little Italy is very clean, being powered by two solar power plants, and has NO crime. Take a look, why don't you . . .

All of Little Italy . . .

The Little Italy government complex . . .

The poorer projects of Little Italy (yet no crime) . . .

The richer estates of Little Italy near the Salvatore Leon Opera House . . .

The Little Italy subway system . . .

The only problem plaguing Little Italy these days is traffic. Despite having a very thorough subway system and being the first city in the region equipped with a thorough bus stop system as well, traffic is at an all time high. I have yet to find a solution, or even a cause for that matter, but I'm confident that Little Italy will pull through in one piece. Those Italians are strong people.

Magnametro will come later tonight . . .

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
its quite amazing to get a city of this standard when its ur first city, too many of the same buildings are built over and over again, but i think thats just the way the game is.

·
Architect
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^Not entirely the game's fault. I just remembered that many of my early cities were set to a single building set.
That's why there's so many of the same buildings. When we get to some of my newer cities, it isn't like that.

·
Architect
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@zaqattaq: I felt some respect was due to my favorite TV series. ;)

Magnametro, Timbuktu
Stage 2 City
Mayor: Julia Caesar
Population: 450,968
Commercial: 495,455

Hands down the most successful city in Timbuktu. It currently leads in commercial offices and has a high population as well. It also has an extensive road, subway, bus, police, fire, education, and health system, as well as an Int'l Airport. There's just no stopping Magnametro. However, recent region-wide economic depressions have caused slowed growth and the abandonment of certain sections of town. I'm confident that Magnametro will recover and become greater than ever though.

The whole jungle of Magnametro skyscrapers . . .

The Magnametro subway system . . .

Magnametro International Airport . . .

Central Business District around the BoAT . . .

The East City of Magnametro . . .

The North City of Magnametro . . .

The Northwest City of Magnametro . . .

Typical Magnametro density . . .

The coolest thing about Magnametro's success as a business center is that I designed it in the beginning to be the new replacement of Cyprus Hill. It was the best city in the region before it was even unpaused. It's centralized location on The Peninsula and the many neighbor connections were the primary reasons for its success.

Now on to New Gettysburg.

·
Architect
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's the Stuff . . .

New Gettysburg
Stage 2 City
Mayor: Arcturus Mengsk
Population: 539,936
Commercial: 115,175

If you've ever played StarCraft before, you've heard of New Gettysburg and Arcturus Mengsk. Just my way of saying thanks to Blizzard for their greatest work. This city was built as the major suburb for Magnametro, similar to Westhampton and Cyprus Hill. Since I knew Magnametro would be big some day, I designed New Gettysburg for heavy traffic and high density residential. Today, however, high traffic and long commute times have forced me to create a commercial district that New Gettysburg can call it's own. See for yourself . . .

All of New Gettyburg, Mengsk would be proud . . .

The New Gettysburg subway system, one of the best in the region . . .

The government complex, containing several buildings named after StarCraft characters . . .

Downtown New Gettysburg skyline . . .

Uptown New Gettysburg skyline . . .

The beautiful New Gettysburg airport . . .

Typical New Gettysburg density . . .

New Gettysburg Ballpark . . .

The slowly deteriorating Southside . . .

New Gettysburg has been a peak and drop success story. At one time it was the largest city in the region, but the continued region-wide depression has hit New Gettysburg hardest. Southside and Downtown are slowly being abandoned, and traffic somehow grows worse. I'm afraid that New Gettysburg may never recover. :(

I'll do Riverside and Stepford eventually.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.