Registered
3,973 Posts
Your Linguistic Profile:
75% General American English
15% Upper Midwestern
5% Midwestern
5% Yankee
0% Dixie

I got nailed when I said pop. I actually usually say Soda now, but said pop "which is definitely pronounced "pahp") originally. Glad to see the 0% Dixie. I have been fighting it off for years. lol

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
TroyBoy said:
I thought they only said pop in Metro Detroit because when i go on vacation and ask for a pop they always say "hey you from Michigan?"
They say pop all along the shores of the Great Lakes.... from Milwaukee/Chicago to Buffalo and Rochester, NY.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
ROCguy said:
They say pop all along the shores of the Great Lakes.... from Milwaukee/Chicago to Buffalo and Rochester, NY.
milwaukee is "soda" country.

"pop" & "soda" are completely interchangeable in chicago, though "pop" does predominate here. being from chicago, the pop vs. soda debates always seemed very strange to me becuase it seemed like people were arguing between "car" and "automobile"; two completely normal, but differnet, words for the same exact thing. i guess in other places the issue is much more one side or the other. in chicago, we're neutral on the pop/soda thing.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.