SkyscraperCity Forum banner
321 - 340 of 529 Posts

·
Kiwi Contributor
4,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #321 ·
Yea Napier-Hastings is 115,000 combined, it would be NZ's 6th largest after Dunedin if it was one contiguous city, as opposed to 2 separate ones.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Isn't the height limit something to do with the faultline running nearby?

The thing that impressed me with Wellington is its pure density, from the 'postcard' shot of the city from Mt Victoria it looks quite a small low-rise city, but once you get down near the ANZ/HSBC buildings and near the 'Beehive' it really is very dense and a lot bigger than you'd imagine.

Btw, what was the last big building to be constructed - was it the HSBC building?

·
Wellington user
802 Posts
rickster2k said:
Isn't the height limit something to do with the faultline running nearby?

The thing that impressed me with Wellington is its pure density, from the 'postcard' shot of the city from Mt Victoria it looks quite a small low-rise city, but once you get down near the ANZ/HSBC buildings and near the 'Beehive' it really is very dense and a lot bigger than you'd imagine.

Btw, what was the last big building to be constructed - was it the HSBC building?
The height limits are due to the blocking of views around the city... But as we all know the technology in building tall buildings now days doesn’t really matter so much when building in a earthquake zone.
But i do feel that the restrictive heights need to be made higher... as it seems that every new building that is currently approved or being constructed in the wellington CBD are all above these limits

Yeah the last big building constructed was the HSBC... I think its time for another one now :cheers:

·
A Christchurch Son
4,204 Posts
Don't get what's going on at the Cake Tin? Entertainment Centre? Indoor sports?

Spoils the Stadium I think.

Can anyone shead some light?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Overseas Passenger Terminal!... found a render, very cool...cruise ship looking. Hard to get picture off website but if one of you can try would be great.
go to www.stantiallstudio.com
->click on exteriors then scroll accross to pic#21
also the last picture, a render of 'the needle' proposed skyscraper in wellington's willeston street/victoria street corner. pic #25 cool design.

·
Premium Member
6,265 Posts
Wellington is surely the Architectual Mecca of New Zealand !

Every Design or Proposel that comes up has Class Plus ! :)

On a differrent Note LOL I just had some Clients in looking for a design for their Block of Land on the outskirts of Melbourne , anyways we got Chatting and to cut along Story Short , they are originally from England and have lived in Many Cities around the World , and they said No City in the world including Melbourne has compared to their Love of Wellington ! They said if they didn't have to upset their Childrens Education by moving again , they would be back in a Flash ! The wife was nearly in tears and said they wished they had never Moved ! :cry:

So there Ya Go ! a Nice Compliment for Wellington !

·
Premium Member
6,265 Posts
Not many LOL ......

Samuel64 said:
If you ask me your city council is being fairly soft on residents who own those properties on the hills. About how many houses views would be effected if wellington had no height restrictions?
But it would be all the Rich and powerful , connected to both the city Council and the Goverment ! :cheers:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wellington knows how to pull of good style...

Some More Pics..

Market Site
Proposed (Wakefield Markets Site/Rialto Cinemas - Wakefield Street/Taranaki Street Corner)

Queens Wharf Building
Under Construction (Beside Loaded Hog/One Red Dog Building - Queens Wharf)

Harbour Quays
Progressively under development (CentrePort Land - Aotea/Jervois)

Chews Lane
Under Construction (Willis/Victoria Streets)

Palliser Apartments
Under Construction - I think? (Cambridge Terrace)

·
Wellington user
802 Posts
Marky Mark said:
Every Design or Proposel that comes up has Class Plus ! :)

On a differrent Note LOL I just had some Clients in looking for a design for their Block of Land on the outskirts of Melbourne , anyways we got Chatting and to cut along Story Short , they are originally from England and have lived in Many Cities around the World , and they said No City in the world including Melbourne has compared to their Love of Wellington ! They said if they didn't have to upset their Childrens Education by moving again , they would be back in a Flash ! The wife was nearly in tears and said they wished they had never Moved ! :cry:

So there Ya Go ! a Nice Compliment for Wellington !

oh poor them... u should have told them about kiwiscrapers and the pics we have on here of Wellington lol :cheers:

321 - 340 of 529 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.