Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Worthy of its own thread.

Conference centre and five star hotel proposed for Wellington waterfront

A concept drawing of the proposed Wellington Convention Centre. Photo / Supplied

Wellington city councillors will vote next week on a new purpose-built convention centre and five-star hotel for the central city.

The building would cost rate payers $2 million per year to lease over 10 years.

Wellington Mayor Celia Wade-Brown said the centre was a "transformative project" that would keep the capital ahead in the conference market.

"If agreed to, this convention centre proposal will be a great investment in Wellington, and we'll have a purpose-built five-star facility to help spur the capital's growth, contribute to NZ Inc and draw on the Government's international marketing clout."

If given the go-ahead, the state-of-the-art 4400 square-metre facility would be able to host up to 1200 conference delegates and have a banqueting capacity for up to 1450 people.

It would be built along with the 165-room hotel on the site in Cable Street.

The overall project would be financed by local developer Mark Dunajtschik.

Reactions: cle

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a big fan of democracy, but the way things tend to go these days I actually hope it does bypass public consultation. No doubt someone would take issue with it and that'd just set the whole thing back years...
I suspect the loudest objector will the Museum Hotel, for obvious reasons.

·
returning videotapes
257 Posts
I'm a big fan of democracy, but the way things tend to go these days I actually hope it does bypass public consultation. No doubt someone would take issue with it and that'd just set the whole thing back years...
As noted above... there's a reason for that process... it's not to annoy architecture fans, it's to ensure that the new project doesn't make a mess of things... as does sometimes happen.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I suspect the loudest objector will the Museum Hotel, for obvious reasons.
Or perhaps not,

Chris Parkin owns the nearby five star Museum Hotel and welcomes the idea and he said a public-private partnership is the way to run the venture.

He said because many of the benefits of a convention centre would accrue to the community it's logical for the council to underwrite the project.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/regional/244832/wellington-convention-centre-plan ]

·
Registered
527 Posts
bypassing public consultation is NOT a violation of democracy as so many people think.

We have a democratic government. If people don't like what the government is doing then we can get to vote them out. Each and every rule change or decision does not need public consultation. Imagine if we needed public consultation/ or a referendum on each new law or decision in NZ.

Democracy is at the end of the day just mob rule. We dont want a pure democracy and its something we should never be aiming for. If we had a pure democracy we would just vote to do away with tax, GST, traffic fines, and other general laws that keep the people in check. We would all vote to better our own personal self (better minimum wages, better retirement schemes, better and more housing for the unemployed etc...). Thereby eventually bankrupting the country.

But hey, New Zealanders love pulling the democracy card.

·
Wellingpalmyan
881 Posts
bypassing public consultation is NOT a violation of democracy as so many people think.

We have a democratic government. If people don't like what the government is doing then we can get to vote them out. Each and every rule change or decision does not need public consultation. Imagine if we needed public consultation/ or a referendum on each new law or decision in NZ.

Democracy is at the end of the day just mob rule. We dont want a pure democracy and its something we should never be aiming for. If we had a pure democracy we would just vote to do away with tax, GST, traffic fines, and other general laws that keep the people in check. We would all vote to better our own personal self (better minimum wages, better retirement schemes, better and more housing for the unemployed etc...). Thereby eventually bankrupting the country.

But hey, New Zealanders love pulling the democracy card.
Not what I meant, but anyway :) Here to talk about buildings, not democracy so I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From the Dom: (my emphasis)

"Previous attempts to build a Hilton in Wellington have faltered because of public opposition, but Wade-Brown said the proposed location opposite Te Papa was not sensitive, and should not require a public notification process."

·
returning videotapes
257 Posts
Not sensitive? That's an important shortcut.

In all seriousness... If there is going to be a Hilton, it might as well be right next to the most commercial landmark in the city in a spot that has been an eyesore for more than a decade.

It would be interesting though... after what was dug up when the Warehouse moved and what was found under the adjacent apartments on Taranaki St, to see what lies under the massive concrete slab on that site. That's something I'd be happy to see a delay allow for.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sensitive? That's an important shortcut.

In all seriousness... If there is going to be a Hilton, it might as well be right next to the most commercial landmark in the city in a spot that has been an eyesore for more than a decade.

It would be interesting though... after what was dug up when the Warehouse moved and what was found under the adjacent apartments on Taranaki St, to see what lies under the massive concrete slab on that site. That's something I'd be happy to see a delay allow for.
Here's a quick history of Cable St, courtesy of The Wellingtonian.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Convention centre to get OK

A $100 million Hilton Hotel convention centre looks almost certain to go ahead, with Wellington City Council expected to vote in favour of the project next week.

The proposed 165-bed hotel, with adjoining 2500-capacity conference centre, would be built in Cable St, opposite Te Papa, on a site occupied now by a car park.

Wellington Mayor Celia Wade-Brown said yesterday she was confident she had majority support from her councillors and expected a meeting next Wednesday to vote in favour of the non-notified development.

Construction could start before Christmas and be completed by 2017.

About 80 per cent of 76 public submissions were in favour of the project, Wade-Brown said.

"It's important for the Wellington economy, including jobs for the hospitality sector. I'm delighted that the majority of Wellingtonians are in favour of this proposal."

The complex would be known as the Wellington Convention Centre and would be managed by the Hilton chain.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Now they just need to work on getting the design right,

At the Moment its looking like a clone of the Duxton/Amora, and will prevent linkages between courternay place and TePapa/waterfront

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now they just need to work on getting the design right,

At the Moment its looking like a clone of the Duxton/Amora, and will prevent linkages between courternay place and TePapa/waterfront
I actually made a submission to the council mentioning that point. My exact words:

While I support the idea of a high-grade convention centre for Wellington in principle, there are a couple of issues that need attention.

Firstly, as with all major building projects, there's only one chance to get the architecture right. Te Papa, which is directly opposite the proposed convention centre, wasn't a poor design but was still a missed opportunity in that respect.

Secondly, the Convention Centre presents a chance to resolve pedestrian access issues from Courtenay Place to the waterfront, as mentioned in the following architecture-related post:

http://eyeofthefish.org/convention-centre-and-the-presence-of-the-hilton/

·
Merit Man
173 Posts
Here are some quotes:

Those involved are now proposing the CentrePort-owned Interisland Wharf, next to Wellington railway station, as the best site for the 165-room, five-star Hilton and 2500-capacity convention centre.

The council voted 13-2 in November to proceed with the lease for the convention centre, which it identified as a key driver for the capital's economy, jobs and international attractiveness ...

... However, if the council is to provide funding of up to $4m a year, a majority of councillors must reconfirm their support in February.

Seems to be a determination for this from the council, I imagine the new proposal will b exhibited mid-late next year.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Seems to be a determination for this from the council, I imagine the new proposal will b exhibited mid-late next year.
Council can be determined all its likes, IMHO the chances of getting this to shift to the waterfront is a HUGE challenge and honestly I think its dead.

Given the history of Hiltons on the Wharf, I personally don't think the council have the stomach for the fight that they are going to buy with Waterfront Watch and other groups opposed to developments on the waterfront land.

2015 is council elections, so nothing will really happen until 2016. Its gonna need resource consents that are going to be appealed to at least the environment Court, ( maybe higher), so at the earliest construction might be possible in 2018 ( which is another council election year....

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Surely the wharf site is public (council) owned?

Its not a bad site in terms of more space and would further rejuvenate that part of the city. Perhaps combine with a new cruise ship terminal? Downside is that its away from the hub of the city, though its not exactly a long walk.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
On a somewhat related matter, surely Te Papa can be remodelled so that the sides facing north and out to the water are opened up. The blank wall facing north to TSB Arena is an eyesore.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts