SkyscraperCity banner

741 - 760 of 772 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Can't understand the hatred for this building. The developers deserve a lot of credit for taking the plunge on the first privately-funded BTR residential development in the city when it was still debatable whether this type of scheme was viable in Leeds. Other than Mustard Wharf (and more recently Moda Living), no other developers are yet to deliver anything of a similar scale. The building will deliver a large number of modern residential units with good resident facilities, and the exterior materials for the scheme are high quality. It will also open up the riverfront and the leisure unit on the ground floor will be a good addition.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Can't understand the hatred for this building. The developers deserve a lot of credit for taking the plunge on the first privately-funded BTR residential development in the city when it was still debatable whether this type of scheme was viable in Leeds. Other than Mustard Wharf (and more recently Moda Living), no other developers are yet to deliver anything of a similar scale. The building will deliver a large number of modern residential units with good resident facilities, and the exterior materials for the scheme are high quality. It will also open up the riverfront and the leisure unit on the ground floor will be a good addition.
Totally agree - it has to be said there are some serial moaners on here.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Some of us moan because we want better for the city.

Let's not beat about the bush here, some of these proposals are bloody bland!

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
I think some on here are getting a bit confused with the criticism.

I think we can all agree that it's great to see a developer take the risk of building new PRS in the city, the materials are high quality, nice brickwork good glass ratio etc.

The problem is the monsterous form and stumpy profile which massively detracts from the materials of the building.

Again, the form doesn't detract from it been an overall net positive of seeing new high quality residential in the city.

But from a looks perspective it's a no from me. The material's while decent are only noticeable up close, and I think the dark brickwork while nice up close only adds to the monotholic profile of the building, it just looks bad on the skyline. In the same vein as West Point, West Riding House and Quarry House.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The problem for me with this development is that didn't the original proposal have offices blocks too? The plot is way too big for just this apartment block in my opinion and it looks a little isolated. What happened to the office proposals? Slim chance of anything happening now but I rather liked the look of them.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
The problem for me with this development is that didn't the original proposal have offices blocks too? The plot is way too big for just this apartment block in my opinion and it looks a little isolated. What happened to the office proposals? Slim chance of anything happening now but I rather liked the look of them.
Yes because its the first building of several on this site, so it will look a bit at odds until it gets some neighbours.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yes because its the first building of several on this site, so it will look a bit at odds until it gets some neighbours.
Well, this is what I don’t understand about some of the critics of this block. I thought it was to be flanked on one side by the office element of the YP site, and on the other side by the taller blocks of the Wellington Place development.

In which case, the main views will be of the shorter northern and southern facades. You would get only oblique or partial views of the long sides of the building so what’s the point in criticising them now?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Well, this is what I don’t understand about some of the critics of this block. I thought it was to be flanked on one side by the office element of the YP site, and on the other side by the taller blocks of the Wellington Place development.

In which case, the main views will be of the shorter northern and southern facades. You would get only oblique or partial views of the long sides of the building so what’s the point in criticising them now?
I said much the same thing probably a year ago now - this looks like a filler development because frankly, it is - the back edge of a wider scheme that will never really be seen from the side, and the bulk will be shrouded by other more attractive buildings. Heaven forbid anyone take an objective view though!

·
Registered
151 Posts
That was the point I was trying to make. The actual quality of this building is fine, and the only issue is one that will be fixed in time when the office element is developed.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I said much the same thing probably a year ago now - this looks like a filler development because frankly, it is - the back edge of a wider scheme that will never really be seen from the side, and the bulk will be shrouded by other more attractive buildings. Heaven forbid anyone take an objective view though!
Objective is what we all should at least try to be. I probably go OTT on occasion but I try to be at least a little balanced but many as far as I can see do not. I really like this building and think it looks great on the skyline. Bulk it seems is in the eye of the beholder! I would rather look at this than the new towers proposed which are generic at best.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
It should have been three or four separate buildings.
Or if there was a couple more buildings of the same shape reducing in scale next to this, it would look pretty good. I still think this could be very good if the rest of the development is designed to fit in.

741 - 760 of 772 Posts