Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having seen the success of the Northern Ireland football stadia thread on the Northern Ireland forum I thought id start one up here. Obviosuly we all know about the likes of the bigger grounds however im lead to believe that some welsh premier league clubs if they want to play in europe next season will need to improve their grounds to Uefa Tier 2 (1,500 seating capacity).

I know in the past that certain clubs have used other stadiums such as the liberty, parc y scarlets however I guess theres potential and now the motivation for them to now improve their grounds to the sufficient standard. Any thoughts?

Also believe that the redevelopment of Rodney Parade isdue to start in the new year at some point, could be a good year or so for the stadiums in wales.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Liberty Stadium

Having seen the success of the Northern Ireland football stadia thread on the Northern Ireland forum I thought id start one up here. Obviosuly we all know about the likes of the bigger grounds however im lead to believe that some welsh premier league clubs if they want to play in europe next season will need to improve their grounds to Uefa Tier 2 (1,500 seating capacity).

I know in the past that certain clubs have used other stadiums such as the liberty, parc y scarlets however I guess theres potential and now the motivation for them to now improve their grounds to the sufficient standard. Any thoughts?

Also believe that the redevelopment of Rodney Parade isdue to start in the new year at some point, could be a good year or so for the stadiums in wales.

Currently 21k capacity, but can go to 27k without to much bother

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Brewery Field-currently the home of Bridgend Town FC, who are a pretty wealthy club having sold their old ground to Tesco a year or two ago.

I think this year its between them and Bazza town who gets promoted to the Welsh prem. Whichever of them does would do well to ape Neath Athletic and offer half price admision to Cardiff (in Neath's case Swansea) season ticket holders and could get big crowds really.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Brewery Field-currently the home of Bridgend Town FC, who are a pretty wealthy club having sold their old ground to Tesco a year or two ago.

I think this year its between them and Bazza town who gets promoted to the Welsh prem. Whichever of them does would do well to ape Neath Athletic and offer half price admision to Cardiff (in Neath's case Swansea) season ticket holders and could get big crowds really.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Bridgend Ravens must also be favorites to get promoted back into the Premier Division this year - They have sorted out their financial problems and are currently top of their division having played 7 - won 7.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

I wasnt aware of what Neath do, I guess that explains the crowds they get, clever marketing that, and I guess given the number of ex swans in their team it makes sense.

Just spotted this, Cefn Druids' new ground up in North Wales, 500 seater stand with a 3,500 capacity:

="http://www.cefndruidsafc.co.uk/gallery.php?category=49"

Looks quite tidy, must be a good grounding for trying to get into teh WPL.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like Bangor City who have won 11 from 11 at the start of this season could be on the verge of a new stadium:

"The long awaited re-development of Bangor City’s Farrar Road Stadium could be finally moving forward, according to the Bangor Mail.
Bangor City Council, who own the stadium have confirmed that interest in re-igniting the project has started again behind the scenes, but due to a confidentiality agreement could not go into details.
The proposed development initially by Widnes based Morbaine has been on the table for the last decade.
They wanted to turn the ground into a retail park while re-locating the Citizens to a new stadium to be built on the banks of the Menai Straits at Nantporth.
But due to the economic crisis which stopped retailers from coming forward to join the scheme, the plans were mothballed.
Last year, Morbaine, announced that they had been joined by Bangor based developers, Watkin Jones and formed a joint venture company, Deiniol Developments Ltd for the specific development.
The last known proposal was to develop the Farrar Road site for over 300 student units and 84,000 sq.ft. of non-food retail and leisure use. Some fast-food and affordable housing is also included within the development.
Sources also told the Mail that Foodstore giants ASDA could also be interested again in being part of the development.
Mark Watkin Jones from Deiniol Developments confirmed that negotiations are taking place with a major retailer which has a desire to have a presence in Bangor. He said: “We hope to exchange contracts shortly, and will then be able to provide more details about the development.”
Bangor City Council clerk, Gwyn Hughes, said: “We are hopeful that there will be movement on the development on the very near future. other than that I can’t really comment as the city council is involved in this scheme and there is a confidentiality clause in place.
“The ball is firmly in the developers court and we’ll keep our fingers crossed.”
Bangor city councillor, Eddie Dogan who once played for the Citizens said: “Everything is being kept very quiet at the moment but I would be delighted to see this development materialise.
“I’m keen to see Nantporth going forward and the football team re-locate there.
“This would mean that we could play our European games in Bangor rather than trekking all the way to Wrexham to play them all.
A spokesman for ASDA said: “ASDA remains keen to bring what it has to offer to Bangor.
“We are continuing to evaluate sites across the area.”

Taken from the Welsh Premier League homepage.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I dont want Bangor to move from Farrar Road :(
How far is Nantporth from the centre of Bangor? I think it's important that grounds can be walkable from town/city centres.

Great to see Bangor doing well and with some great crowds too. Getting on or around 1000 is no mean feat.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update on Bangor City's proposed new ground here:

http://www.welsh-premier.com/index.php/headline-news/2861-city-fans-petition-for-stadium-rethink

The artists impression makes it look like a nice little ground however I think it would be a step backward for the dominant team in the welsh premier not to have a ground capable of hosting european fixtures. The article states the ground would be 850 seater whereas it needs 1,500 to be capable of staging a european match, any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Bangor deserve a better stadium than that. How much is another covered terrace and a few hundred more seats? Come on developers, you want this large piece of city centre land for a reason, so don't leave the club in the lurch.

Again, where is Nantporth? Will it be walkable from Bangor city centre?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Bangor deserve a better stadium than that. How much is another covered terrace and a few hundred more seats? Come on developers, you want this large piece of city centre land for a reason, so don't leave the club in the lurch.

Again, where is Nantporth? Will it be walkable from Bangor city centre?
It is walkable, its about 10-15mins walk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can see the redevelopment of Rodney Parade has now started with the old Argus stand being taken down:

REGENERATION REACHES NEXT STAGE

"The second stage of the Rodney Parade regeneration begins this week. Construction is set to begin on the new East Stand which will provide improved bar, hospitality and catering facilities as well as seating for over 2000 supporters and 13 corporate boxes.

The new state-of-the-art stand is due to be completed by the end of August and mark the next major step in the improvement of the matchday experience at Rodney Parade. Bar facilities will be much improved, with access right along the Stand, cutting down queuing time, as well as a new restaurant seating 300 and a new main bar with capacity for 200.

There is also a new gym facility for the team being built at the south end of the east stand (next to the current hospitality boxes) and as part of this development, the pitch will move 10 metres north.

With the construction of the new North Terrace which replaces the current Family Stand nearing completion, demolition of the Argus Terrace will begin on Wednesday, making the Dragons’ home game against Connacht on 6 January the Argus Terrace’s final match.

In the interim, Argus Terrace season ticket holders for both the Dragons and Newport RFC will move to the Hazell Terrace and ticketing details for the terrace behind the Family Stand will be confirmed soon.

Although supporters may have been disappointed by the lack of fanfare surrounding the final game with the Argus Terrace, this was unavoidable due to the nature of the build.

The development of the area behind the Family stand and building of the new stand are all part of one job and therefore the timelines for each section are quite fluid.

Because of the weather preventing progress on the terracing behind the Family Stand as is was too cold to pour concrete, work started on another part of the build so as to not fall behind on the overall project. This meant that the date of the Argus Terrace coming down was confirmed at short notice and the region wasn’t in a position to organise the sort of send-off the supporters would have liked.

The current incarnation of the Argus Terrace has been in place since 1987 and both the Dragons and Newport RFC are looking forward to being able to host their supporters in this fantastic new facility."

Taken from the Draons website, exciting times for thier fans, be nice to see what the finished stand looks like.

·
Socialogically Diseased
404 Posts
I was speaking to the project manager for the build of the mill. stad a little while ago and the state of the pitch came up in conversation, he reckons that with a little tweaking the huge air conditioning system for the field could be made to work how it was designed to. WRU obviously dont want to risk a few hundred k incase it doesn't work but are quite happy to replace the pitch at a 100K a pop. It would be awesome to have a nice pitch, does anyone have any good info on this?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not sure about that welshlad, haven't heard anything. Found a picture of how the old argus terrace at rodney parade should look when finished, whilst it may only be a 2,000 seat stand looks a big improvement, also the function suite should allow for good views:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quick update taken from the Newport Gwent Dragons website r.e. new stand:

"Work is moving at a rapid pace on the new Bisley Stand at Rodney Parade. The stand is on schedule for handover on 29th August 2011.

The metal framework and brickwork has been completed for much of the stand with the windows starting to be installed in the function suite and hospitality boxes.

The windows have been fitted for the hospitality boxes and are currently being fitted in the function suite.

On the Hazell side, the re-cladding is alomst complete and will match the finish on the Bisley Stand. The whole stand is in the process of being re-painted ready for the new season."

I know its been said before but this will be a massive improvement to the ground, and even the re-cladding of the existing stand will help the overall appearance somewhat.

On another note Llanelli AFC have had a lot of work done to drainage etc on the pitch at Stebonheath Park.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Design revealed for the seating in the new stand at Rodney parade. A random selection of the amber, red and black seats to account for Neport RFC and teh Dragons, will be nice to see something a bit different:

Due for handover on the 29th of August.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts