SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16,977 Posts
I thought it was a load of bollocks, cheap telly badly done, the level of research must have been virtually zero.

For instance Manchester is a good place to invest due to the universitys and £700 million spent on the city centre after the 1996 IRA attack, while Liverpool is high risk since you can buy a house here for £30k and a lot of investment is gambling on Prescotts Pathways demolition and depopulation programme.

What a crock of shit.

Manchester* has a potential massive Pathway programme, cheap housing if you're not too choosy and an ongoing investment programme and access to a young mobile population.

Liverpool has £ billions being spent on it, massive hospitals, universitys, European Capital of Culture, fast growing airport and niche, modern industrys as well as a young population.

Liverpool could have been in the list and Manchester used as a high risk example, it was shoddy to say the least.

Channel 4s research is obviously more in depth than Irish, London and US investors who are apprently buying up £30k houses in the hope Prescott knocks them down and offers compensation!

*I used Manchester since the 2 cities have similar demographics, housing stock and I know at least a little bit about both - cue 5 pages of argument

·
Registered
16,977 Posts
Oh and I personally would rank Liverpool and Manchester highly in terms of property investment given the access to a dynamic, young and constant rental market alone.

·
Registered
571 Posts
What I found most shocking in the programme were the over ambitous house price inflation figures, they were predicting 30-50% increases over 5 years. Which I realy don't see happening.

And London? Expected to reach an average house price of £850,000? Complete madness. House prices there are currently running completley flat in all areas but the top end of the market.

What shocked me even more was the fact Glasgow wasn't in the top 10. House prices are dirt cheap at the moment and going up rapidly with a booming economy, yet it was considered high risk along with Liverpool?

I can't imagine anything good coming out of the programme, all it means is that a load of rich idiots from the home counties will be buying up properties in Headingley and sending the prices even higher.

·
Registered
16,977 Posts
I thought that about Glasgow, Skop, it was tabloid TV of poorest quality.

I'd rather see over supply anyway so we can break this ridiculous chain of viewing HOMES as an investment vehicle for people with too much money who deprive the masses of affordable housing.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
It was one of the most dangerously miselading programs EVER.

I felt sorry for the poor bastards watching it and thinking:

'Ooooh, even though house prices have gone up 300% in the past 10 years, this program says I must buy now or else prices will rise by 50% in 5 years'.

'And it's that huge Allsop women. She's really nice. I trust her'.

Channel 4 should be forced to pay the mortgages of it's viewers when the ridiculous house price increase predictions go horribly wrong.

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
Skopie said:
What I found most shocking in the programme were the over ambitous house price inflation figures, they were predicting 30-50% increases over 5 years. Which I realy don't see happening.
You can reckon on anything over 10% per annum in the better areas, so some emight say that figure is conservative... it certainly is right for where I live.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
One of these days, someone will "discover" Everton. There is no finer vista.....unless you live in Wirral looking across the Mersey :)

Took these last week The weather was shite and I had to photoshop them to **** (curves, contrast, midtones etc). "Bad Workman" and "Tools". Yeah Yeah, OK, but even so,...... what a view! :)

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
scouserdave said:
One of these days, someone will "discover" Everton.
Hopefully they'll put some money in and we might win somethin.. :jk:

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Gareth said:
Too right Dave. It's an unbelievably undervalued vista by most.

Welcome home, Dave. :cheers:
Thanks Gareth :cheers:
There's also a huge swathe of nearby Islington that could be developed. I took a load of pics of West Derby Road last week (the Grafton Ballroom end) and it will make you weep to see the dereliction. Pics to come after I make the tea.

Health Warning! They will be fucking depressing :bash:

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
I think this aspect actually rivals the usual river view as you get the backdrop of the welsh mountains included from Everton.

Spot on about the opportunities in Everton... the brow needs to be utilised for housing... every one with a **** off view over the city.

·
Just something
8,875 Posts
Providing we don`t just get a cluster of new `piggeries` that is.

It also needs a more mixed economy `Hotels, bars etc` (view wise) to help push investment towards and repair the damage and devastation of `Breck Road` and `West Derby Road`....... etc.

My brother in law (a `real` Londoner) decided to relocate to Liverpool about four years ago after bereavment and he paid £33k for a four bedroomed terraced house and it was recently valued at nearly £100k.....and it wasn`t in a bad condition when he bought it either.

Just for good measure he wont have a bad word said against Liverpool - he has in fairness been visiting Liverpool (his new family) for over twenty years.

·
Registered
16,977 Posts
Everton is on the brink surely.

Invetsment has gone in and further invesment is likely, area between the Royal/London Road and Islington is getting filled up, Great Homer Street shops and market are being developed etc.

Relink Heywrth street with the city and develop part of the park (a lot of it is just an unusable scar that divides and tears the urban fabric of the district).

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Nearby West Derby Road around the Grafton Ballroom area is screaming out for investment. It's only 5 minutes away from the Town Centre and it's on a busy bus route. A shame the Olympia Pub and Gregson's Well have finally closed.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
The sterotypical interlude to manchester was blinkin ridiculous.
You were best off not appearing on this b*llocks (turned off after Manchester's Dickensian introduction).
Hasn't she got bigger though eh? Had a 'posh-chubby-english-rose' soft spot for her once...no longer - and as for that stoopid hat wore atop her face.

What are the two developments here fella's:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts