SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 1477 Posts

·
culled
20,334 Posts
We really need to come up with a way of making market stalls more attractive. Glass roofs or something. If we're going to have them in the middle of a high street they might as well spend some money on them rather than these horrid steel things, even bus shelters look better. At the very least paint them / get rid of graffiti every once in a while..

·
Brummie Angeleno
15,200 Posts
I agree Oldbury - thx for the pics BTW. The Bullring markets are terrible! We should be using treated timber as stalls not galvanised metal and of course maintenance should be part of the program too. We can't do markets like the continentals.

·
...Ready for departure.
12,419 Posts
No :eek:hno: that is bloody terrible.. it should never have been put there in first place. Take an average street and add a crap canopy... always a canopy to bring out the crapness of a street...

·
culled
20,334 Posts
I don't mind (quite like) the idea of covered high streets, if the roof is high (above the rooftops), kept clean, and doesn't have poles and things obscuring the street level. I can't think of a good example at all. The roofs need to be higher than that canopy though, it needs to compliment the street not box it in making it claustrophobia inducing and manky.

Coventry had the same problem with the (now removed) canopy leading to West Orchards.

I hate, hate, hate the conrete canopies along here - they're too low, too opaque, and look horrid from below. It's a real shame they're not getting rid of them.

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,805 Posts
I only went to West Bromwich High Street for the first time a few weeks ago. It wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be but the shopping area just didn't seem very big for a biggish town.

·
culled
20,334 Posts
All this rubbish, I can't believe people leave it like that :/ the council really aren't doing a very good job of it. All this money spent on making it "look better" and they can't even sort out basic street cleaning.

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,805 Posts
^^ A Dudleyite who doesn't get about much Butters!
Who needs to when you've got Merry Hill on your doorstep. ;)

Seriously though, I've been to every other town centre in the area (of which we have many to choose from!) but for some reason West Bromwich wasn't one of them.

Maybe it's because I'm from a family of Wolves supporters. :shifty: :runaway:

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Who the hell is doing the works for this? Ninjas?

·
culled
20,334 Posts
Who needs to when you've got Merry Hill on your doorstep. ;)

Seriously though, I've been to every other town centre in the area (of which we have many to choose from!) but for some reason West Bromwich wasn't one of them.

Maybe it's because I'm from a family of Wolves supporters. :shifty: :runaway:
Same here, so likely :cheers:West Brom has always been a no-go (although ironically one of the only times I've been there I accidentally went in my Wolves shirt, the day after we knocked Brum out of the Premier League).

Have been twice, and it was a lot nicer when it wasn't a market day. The high street gets bloody RAMMED with people, which makes it hard to believe there are so many empty shops. Absolutely packed.

Although I've also never been to Wednesbury (bar driving to the Morrisons once).

But, once this is done and the new developments, I will definately be visiting, it's certainly highlighted this big town between Wolves and Brum that I've never really noticed before! I hear they have a football team...

One thing I remember a lot is the horrible link from the Bus Station to the shopping areas. Dingy place.

·
...Ready for departure.
12,419 Posts
Side canopies and the hut in the middle needs to go.. it'll open up a decent line of sight and open the street up further. Frontages need a good tidy up too.

·
Banned
853 Posts
All this rubbish, I can't believe people leave it like that :/ the council really aren't doing a very good job of it. All this money spent on making it "look better" and they can't even sort out basic street cleaning.
It's not the council's fault that lazy arrogant twats can't be bothered to put their rubbish in a bin!

Penalties for being caught dropping litter are nowhere near high enough. If you're caught dropping any amount of litter, you should be made to spend at least week clearing it up unpaid, or be fined the cost of at least one man-week's worth of street cleaning work & Litter picking work.

1 - 20 of 1477 Posts