Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
10,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
West End Tampa Development:

13 Acre Master Planned Community, consisting of 258 Apartments, 290 Condominiums, 50 Town Homes and 8,450 Sq.Ft. of Neighborhood Retail Space. The design and architecture reflect Tampa's History of Cigar Factories and brick paved streets.

Phase 1- Approved, in "early construction"
235 condominiums
50 town homes
250 apartments
8,000 square feet of retail

Phase 2- Goes for approval Thursday.
296 apartments
103 condominiums
seven town homes
22,000 square feet of retail and office space

http://www.morindevelopment.com/underdevelopment.htm

Renderings-

·
10,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Developer Withdraws Gift
By JOSE PATINO GIRONA, The Tampa Tribune

Published: June 23, 2007

WEST TAMPA - Developer Ken Morin has withdrawn a $225,000 grant to a local organization after a city councilman raised concerns about how the money would be managed.

Morin, managing partner of Morin Development Group, offered the money to the West Tampa Community Development Corp. for assistance to first-time home buyers and for home repairs in West Tampa.

But Councilman Charlie Miranda said he was troubled by the agreement.

'If you are going to do that, the city should at least be responsible and maintain the records,' Miranda said during a June 14 zoning hearing.

'I have a personal concern about any case that makes side deals and side bars with different individuals at different times for or against a project,' Miranda said.

Morin withdrew his offer a day later, saying the city misunderstood his proposal.

'I am not going to battle over such an issue,' Morin said. 'I am going to move forward with my project.'

Morin is seeking zoning approval for phase two of his West End project, which the council will consider at 6 p.m. Thursday.

The developer proposes 296 apartments, 103 condominiums, seven town homes and 22,000 square feet of retail and office space in a block bound by Fig and Gray streets, and Fremont and Oregon avenues.

The neighboring first phase of the project, which contains 235 condominiums, 50 town homes, 250 apartments and 8,000 square feet of retail, is in early construction.

For the first phase, approved in November by a previous council without Miranda, Morin gave the CDC $525,000 for first-time home buyers and home repairs in West Tampa. Some council members raised concerns about the arrangement, but city staff said it was an agreement between two private groups and didn't affect zoning.

Michael Randolph, the CDC's economic development director, said Morin approached them with the grant after an organization committee that reviews development proposals approved the project. The committee's support can help a project being approved by the council, but isn't required.

Randolph said the CDC would use the money to assist people who qualify with the city for down payment assistance or home repairs but need a little extra to meet their goal. The potential candidates will apply through the city, Randolph said.

Miranda isn't the only person raising questions about such grant deals.

Spencer Kass, vice president of operations for Landmarc Realty in West Tampa, questioned the original $525,000 grant to the CDC.

'I think this is the CDC shaking people down,' Kass said. 'I don't see them giving their blessing unless they are getting paid.'

Reporter Jose Patino Girona can be reached at (813) 835-2110 or [email protected].

http://southtampa2.tbo.com/content/2007/jun/23/st-developer-withdraws-gift/?news

·
Registered
639 Posts
Concerning the possible multifamily development there are more reasons why an interchange with Willow and I275 makes sense. Willow is an ideal transportation corridor that can help with traffic problems in the whole area, even the Ashley ordeal.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I can see my dad's warehouse in that picture right next to the development. It good that this is pushing residential development north of Kennedy. People in south tampa definately have a stigma about crossing kennedy blvd.

·
Registered
571 Posts
That is good that more development moving north of kennedy. I am hoping that maybe they will be more life on howard north of kennedy. My mom lives off SoHo and I think it would be cool if that kinda energy could get expanded up all they way to west tampa on howard.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Right now all they are building along Howard, north of Kennedy, is offices. I really hope they start throwing some retail in there. It would be nice to see the same kind of development continue North of Kennedy.
I do like that all the office buildings being put up front the street with parking behind the structure

1 - 7 of 7 Posts