SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Yep
3,815 Posts
Interesting new road layout. They seem to have removed the eastern side of paradise circus and wrapped it around the western side of the development, creating more space and that expanded public square area.

Clearly this is just a notional illustration of the project - but the inclusion of towers is - as ever - encouraging. At least they are on the agenda.

With this and Arena Central going on more or less in parallel we could be in for some exciting times over the next five years.

·
Brummie Angeleno
15,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is Hill Street still there, in front of the Town Hall? Removal of that st will be silly as it's a useful exit route - recently changed so that all traffic can use it now and not just buses, I might add. Logical thinking at last.

·
Yep
3,815 Posts
morestoreysplease said:
Is Hill Street still there, in front of the Town Hall? Removal of that st will be silly as it's a useful exit route - recently changed so that all traffic can use it now and not just buses, I might add. Logical thinking at last.
Yep - where it leads onto paradise street? Still there, but its white for some reason as if it had been pedestrianised. Cant see them doing that - that would make upper Hill Street a dead end, which seems a bit daft.

·
Oh! There he is!!
938 Posts
hold on...wheres the car park next the rep gone....christ...do they want to remove any more car parks near symphony NIA and rep!! its already a nightmare

·
Yep
3,815 Posts
whoops - didnt notice that. Another building. Well, that gap's always been earmarked for filling. Maybe they'll stick a nice big underground one there.

·
unBANNED
4,165 Posts
from the rendering it looks like Chamberlain Sq will be modifed too ? Hmm.. I kinda like the current shape of the square

Also if I am not too mistaken the tower on the left looks as tall as Alpha Tower ? I konw it is a rough rendering but hopefully there could be a tower of about 30 storeys ?

·
15,712 Posts
well to me the tower on the left looks about the same size as alpha and the one to the right a little taller!

we always knews that carpark was due to bge built on. open surface car parks are just not economical in a city of our size!

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Queensway tunnel appears to still be there, thank god.
I think alpha tower looks sexy in black!!

Were was this rendering found/what stage is planing permission at?

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
None judging by the decision on the library, the metro/underground and arena central central, etc. Oh well, im sure it will be finished by 2050 :)

·
Yep
3,815 Posts
Accura_Preston said:
Looks like a pretty cool project :) Chances of this one going ahead unhindered?
Better than even I'd say - the council approve, as did the previous one, and the developers have a good track record with brindleyplace being as successful as it is. An early start really hinges on replacing the central library. As the current lot in power at the council house seem to want to move the entire library into a building already under conversion, this might happen sooner than we think. Failing that, they're talking about a PFI to get a new library built elsewhere.

Who knows, perhaps argent can incorporate this into their plans. Maybe - perhaps - thats the building we see in the background between the rep theatre and baskerville house.

This is complete speculation though.

·
ForWarD
160 Posts
Whilst Centenary Square can be blocked to alot of visitors to Birmingham due to the obstacle that is the central library, Chamberlain Square itself is a great meeting place in the city, and acts as an ampitheatre to great effect, with the graduated steps leading from the square to the library/Paradise Forum entrance. Over the years, this square has seen different events staged , from the relative recent siting of the outside BBC Tv large-screen , through to the World Cup, and various ArtsFests bands and theatre each year. On a sunny day there is no better place in Brum ,in my view to enjoy the arts and view the architectural treasures of the old city. The views of the Town hall and the Council House/BCMG , from the library and McD's are very special too, and these mustn't be lost in any new design for Paradise Circus/Chamberlain Square.

·
Yep
3,815 Posts
Looking closely at the rendering, it looks like the steps that feature so prominently in chamberlain square have been retained. If anything, the square seems to have been opened out and extended back towards great charles street and along the western side of town hall. Nothing to fear there in terms of losing out. If anything, the views may be improved.

·
Brummie Angeleno
15,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Because the tunnel (not Queensway) under the Library is going, there's going to be loads of space at the rear of the Town Hall. Yes, I think Chamberlain SQ is going to be kept in the style as extg, and increased in size.
One thing Brum does well is creating public squares and enhancing them with works of art.
I think the Council should fast track the deal to make Baskerville the venue for the new Library, because this is a very important development here. If it grows the same time as Eastside, perfect. There are plenty of options still left for the Eastside Library site - an Olympic sized swimming pool and Arts venue is my preferred choice, and in a World Class Architectural Design.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts